Park Deer


Early one morning before rush hour traffic built up, I left in a light fog, heading to Calallen Texas and my favorite park along the river. In hopes of seeing some wildlife. Not only birds, but perhaps some white tailed deer if I got there early enough. And sure enough, just before reaching the gates to enter the park, a hawk was perched on a power pole, but flew off before I got some really good photos. [I will share one photo on my bird blog this Saturday]. No sooner had I entered through the open gates to the park, two white tailed deer were grazing on the grass. But this time they had company! A solo javelina [ha vah LEEN ah]. Once they noticed I had stopped the vehicle, they all ran for shelter in the wooded area behind them. I had only time to take photos with my cellphone.

I spent some time walking and driving along the riverbank, around the circular drive to the ponds, climbing down to the observation deck on the larger pond, and up the hill to the hawkwatch platform. The fog lifted, but it remained gray and overcast. The temp was a mild 66 degrees. All the time while I was walking and climbing I started watching a green kingfisher [I took many many photos of it fishing and will share the string of action photos at another time] that was on the pond diving for its breakfast, I could hear the beautiful calling of a Carolina Wren...which I finally found and also took a photo. Of course, all my bird photos [including the kingfisher next week -not this weekend, but next week] will be shared on my other blog "I'd Rather B Birdin'". By the way on the other side of the river, the trees were lined with vultures. And one area, along the picnic area, so too were dozens of vultures!! Here are a few photos of nature calling to me. As you notice, our "Autumn foliage" happens in the dead of Winter.  The very last photo is a long distance shot of the kingfisher; see it?...





February 4th is National Heart Awareness Day...wear RED!

74 comments:

  1. What a wonderful trip it was! I look forward to the pics on your bird blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Hope you enjoy the bird photos too Ginny.

      Delete
  2. A nice morning out. You spotted quite a lot of wildlife.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Deer are so graceful and beautiful but the javelina doesn't look very friendly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've read their eyesight is not good. But, I don't wanna find out. lol

      Delete
  4. Hello Anni, Yes, I think I do see the Kingfisher. There are two wooden structures in the middle of the water, and the Kingfisher is perched on the left one. but it will be a pleasure to see the series you took.. The javelina and deer, look comfortable with each .other.......... shame they are so timid.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pretty views of the park. I always love seeing the deer, the javelina would be new for me.
    The kingfisher is a great sighting. Have a happy day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You had the perfect outing at the perfect time to capture photos of so much wildlife and autumn foliage. Understandable why the foliage appears this time of year, but it's odd to see now knowing that Chicagoland has been bare for so long. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These past two Winters we have seen a lot of color change.

      Delete
  7. These I need to.look at on computer.. but sure sounds like you hit the javkpot.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Replies
    1. Looks like a prefect day! Of course I'm looking forward to what you'll share on your other blog too. Have a great weekend Anni!

      Delete
    2. Rose....you made me smile!

      Delete
    3. Martha....see you at the bird D'pot soon, I hope

      Delete
  9. Hi, Anni! Just wanted to stop by to say hello! We're having the same kind of weather here lately - a lot of foggy, gray days with rain.

    GORGEOUS photos! And yes, I do see the Kingfisher!

    Have a terrific weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ron. Have a great weekend yourself!!

      Delete
  10. Forgot to say in my previous comment that I love your new blog header!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks again. Looking forward to your updates!!

      Delete
  11. Anni you know I love me so RED and wear it most days!!
    What a wonderful early morning trek. So very happy to se the Bluebirds in your header.
    Last two days here have been like late April but that is changing tomorrow.
    Hugs Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  12. We live in town (basically) in a condo but on 4 acres with a ravine on both sides of the complex. We have white tailed deer (8-12 of them) mosey along our lawn out back every day. It is high entertainment for our cockapoo. lol
    You got some great photos, Annie. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be a hoot!! Thanks Diana

      Delete
  13. I am having trouble typing because of rose and her hackpot comments. LOL. the javalino are amazing. the deer don't seem to mind them at all. it does sound like you hit the jackpot on finding birds after your long time away from your bird watching. your temps are same as ours, or were, i am watching Houston snow and ice, don't know i it came your way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's 35° right now. I'm ready for the 70s!!

      Delete
  14. Javelina are new to me. Glad for the introduction!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Loved the shot of the deer and the javelina. Strange bed fellows.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Glad you could get some more really nice wildlife shots. I really love the one with the kingfisher. They sure are fun to watch when they catch a fish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, and I love listening to them chatter!!

      Delete
  17. I love wildlife-watching through your eyes, Anni. It's always so fun when you take us along. Thank you for that! And sure enough, I'll wear red today! ~Andrea xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great pictures and it's always a plus when you see deer. We don't have Javelinas around here so that was interesting to see that!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Early mornings are the best and you certainly showed us why. I've heard of javelinas, but now I must look them up to find out more.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great photos. Oh it would be fun to bird and just watch nature in an area like that.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I do love that Kingfisher photo and the one right before it I love for some reason. I love seeing vulture trees....or anything with a bunch of them. I could see the deer and the javelina on my phone...I need to learn more about the javelina. Can't wait to see your bird blogs the next couple of times.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Fascinating photos, especially of the Javelina....
    The last photo of the Kingfisher is a wall hanger..love it.
    So glad you could get out and find the birds. Looking forward to seeing them on your blog.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  23. Is that javalina, a wild pig????? And aren't they very, very scary?

    Can't be as it ran away too.

    ⛄⛄⛄⛄⛄⛄

    ReplyDelete
  24. Yes, I see it. Thanks for taking me along. BTW your new photo is really sweet. Makes me smile back!

    ReplyDelete
  25. good shots
    made it though the storm, got my winter pictures,
    take care!

    ReplyDelete
  26. You always get great pictures. But, of course, that is not by accident. Luck some might say. But, as "they" say, one has to make his/her own luck, and that you do so well.

    ReplyDelete
  27. LOVE they are superb. Glad that wild hog ran the other way. The kingfisher looked as if he was posing for you. I loved the late falls down there, and right now I am ready to move back. this below freezing weather ISNOT for the birds.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I haven't heard pf Javalinas either. Interesting kind of animal. You got a couple of good shots of it and the deer. I saw the Kingfisher right away. There's another one that will take off as soon as it knows you're looking at it. We have a resident one that sits by the lake.
    I am very fond of Bluebirds and find your header very sweet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't seen bluebirds in quite some time!!

      Delete
  29. That was a great place to go walking and glad you got to see all the wildlife.

    ReplyDelete
  30. You always have such beautiful adventures Anni! Don't judge me, but my favorite of all is the tree with the vultures. I haven't seen a javelina since we were in Arizona. They always somehow managed to frighten me. Have a great weekend! ~Robin~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In Arizona the only javelins we're road kill. And ya, me too, I like vultures!!

      Delete
  31. What a fun morning! I love a foggy day, and seeing all that wildlife made it better!

    ReplyDelete
  32. If it was 66, it would be considered warm, in north Idaho.
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
  33. What a wonderful outing! You live in a great place.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Yep...and Texas country is wide open. Spooky at times...night driving.

    ReplyDelete
  35. I'm smiling :)
    I spotted the Kingfisher.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  36. Fantastic! I would fall out of my shoes if I saw the javelina! The deer and birds I would love also but I have never seen a javelina. Great post Anni, thank you and for you i will be wearing my red :)!

    ReplyDelete

Table of Contents