Bud took me out for my annual, deep fat fried shrimp for my birthday lunch. As always it was delicious. This particular restaurant that we have dined at has the sweetest, most tender, fresh, butterflied shrimp I've ever had. And this year it was a special treat. It's been since 2020 [when the so called pandemic struck our country and everything was in lock-down]. Two years since I've celebrated my birthday, and I felt very privileged. Surprisingly, our waitress was still working! She remembers us, and we had a nice catching up chit chat while our meal was being prepared...Come to find out she will retire in March. So, I was glad to talk with her. Rarely do you find a waitress that is close to our age and we can make opinions, and give view points from our age group without offending anyone. Pleasant day!!
Afterwards, Bud wanted to stop for his Shiner's Bock on the way home. I perused the floral section while he was galivanting around the store picking up his things. I marveled at the beauty. Shook my head at the "Jacked-up" prices of bouquets, etc. They still gave me pleasure. Of course, it was all set up for Valentine's Day next week. I especially loved seeing the deep sunny yellow calla lily! Don't you think they have such an elegant blossom; flowing in curves so subtle and smooth?...
While Bud was busy and off somewhere with our cart, and I finished walking thru the floral with cellphone camera in hand, I then remembered that I wanted to look for something locally before I break down and have to order thru amazon. I found it. Even with the exorbitant price for it at the store, it is STILL cheaper than Amazon Prime. Talk about a rip off....Amazon used to be cheaper even if you paid postage and handling...not any more. Amazon price [same brand and weight] for this particular item is twice the cost than the local HEB store. And I'll tell you all about it in my next post!!
Hello Anni
ReplyDeleteYour shrimp dinner sounds yummy. Pretty collection of flowers.
Have a happy day and a great weekend.
Thank you Eileen.
DeleteGlad you were able to get out for your birthday dinner. That shrimp looks really good. All those flowers are beautiful. Prices these days are crazy on everything. I can't believe how high prices on some things have gotten.
ReplyDeleteGas for the car these days is an eye opener!! Thanks to Bidennnnnnn!
DeleteIt's been years since I had fried shrimp. yummmmmmmm The flowers are so gorgeous! My mom carried white calla lilies on her wedding day♥
ReplyDeleteOhhhh, other than the bride, I bet the bouquet was gorgeous!
DeleteI bet it did feel.wonderful.to.celebrate your normal way. Yes, Calla lily flowers are so.elegant.
ReplyDeleteIt was very nice to be "normal".
DeleteAnni, so happy to hear about your birthday lunch! I know, isn't it incredible to realize how long it's been (2020) since people could actually go out and dine at a restaurant?
ReplyDeleteIncredible color you captured in the floral photos! And yes about the calla lily! Such an elegant flower. Reminds me of the move (Stage Door) where Katherine Hepburn says, "The calla lilies are in bloom again, such a rare flower."
Love that little teddy bear cupcake too!
Have a terrific weekend, Anni!
Ms. Hepburn had so much class! Thanks Ron.
DeleteSo glad you got to enjoy your favorite meal actually in a restaurant. Sure has been a while hasn't it? Kind of neat that your favorite waitress served you. A real taste of normal. A super special Birthday Treat.
ReplyDeleteCatching up with her was nice. Thanks Patti.
Deleteglad ya had a good meal, I could go for good old mudbugs :)
ReplyDeletethat cupcake was was cute!
have a safe weekend
I've not seen such a cute pastry...new to me.
DeleteOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH Anni triple yay on your extra special bday lunch.
ReplyDeleteI'm happy your waitress/friend was still there too. Not seeing folks for so long you worry about them. We heard on the news that prices on most things is up 7%. Crazy
Hugs and Happy weekend
Cecilia
This whole country has become crazy!!!
DeleteShrimp is my favorite seafood and fried is my favorite way to eat it. now I want some. we have missed 2 years of all holidays, birthdays and anniversaries eating out. i am still nervous about it but we may try breakfast this week end. I had to go to the link to see what shiners bock is. dying of curiosity to know what you bought. don't wait to long
ReplyDeleteMy "find" is nothing special, but something I've been in search of locally. Other than online.
DeleteI had to shake my head in agreement when you stated, "we can make opinions, and give view points from our age group without offending anyone." That is so true nowadays. And how much nicer it is to be provided immediate gratification when buying locally and not through Amazon. A splendid array of beautiful blossoms captured here! I always find the curves of the Calla Lily to be so svelte and curvaceous, evoking a sense of grace and sophistication.
ReplyDeleteGrace&sophistication....you nailed it!!!
DeleteIt was nice to hear that you enjoyed your day so thoroughly. The flower photos are wonderful and that yellow rose jumped out at me! What did you find to purchase? (I like plain warm fantail shrimp and shrimp cocktail, but haven't had battered style.)
ReplyDeleteOh fried shrimp is so delicious. Especially fresh caught and GULF shrimp.
DeleteWhat beautiful flowers. Even more outrageous than the prices lately are the sky-high profits big businesses are hauling in. They certainly can lower the prices, but they would rather make huge margins.
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad you got to go out for your favourite food at lunch, and that you saw your friend, too. Those are the happinesses we enjoy the most, aren't they?
Simple pleasures!! Yes, everything is all about profits!!
DeleteMy mouth instantly started salivating while reading about your shrimp, Anni! I'm so glad you got to go this year & also meet up with your favorite waitress before she retired. Yes, conversing with like-minded souls is a special pleasure, indeed. Those flowers are absolutely gorgeous and I'm glad you took the pictures & shared them with us. ~Andrea xoxo
ReplyDeleteGlad you enjoyed the color!!
DeleteI do miss eating out - actually sitting down in a restaurant and enjoying a meal someone else has cooked. It's been so long... although we did go to a LaMadeleine's for lunch one day when things were looking up. But that was before the mutations started showing up and we basically became isolated again. But so glad you got to enjoy a birthday meal!
ReplyDeleteAnd we're getting a HEB here soon... can't wait. We go to Central Market to shop now and it is owned by HEB, but not as big and more into natural whole foods.
I ❤️ HEBs!!!
DeleteMy mouth is watering for that delicious shrimp...yummm...one of my favorites.
ReplyDeleteIsn't it nice to visit with waitresses and catch up on things without "offending" I'm getting so I dislike that word with a passion.
Your flower photos are beautiful. I hate seeing the prices on them too. Yes that Calla is glorious..the colors..wow!!
Happy Birthday again.
Sue
Thanks Sue!! Yes it's always a pleasure talking to a friend and catching up on all that has been missed
DeleteOh Annie! Happy happy birthday, wonderful that you got out in civilization again. Im beginning to wonder if "normal" is even possible. You are right about amazon. one has to search carefully. i have found items at one price, scrolled a little and found same exact item different price from different seller, all through amazon. i dont use prime. i wait until i need something then use the free shipping if $25 deal and save that $100 prime thing. been lucky so far. order one day, receive item next day or withing 3 or 4. they have a lot lot lot of stuff in warehouse, and one in tampa close to me. i also watch closely to be sure the item is returnable. sometimes it is not, but when it is, it is incredibly easy. better than standing in line at walmart. you changed your picture again. looking a bit stern there. hahahahahaha but still beautiful. I had to go see what bock is. had no clue.
ReplyDeleteI was notified that Amazon prime membership is being raised! Nope...not for me! Boycott. lol
DeleteThanks for the birthday wish!
Beautiful photos Anni and I'm thrilled that you had such a nice and delicious birthday lunch! I'm looking forward to the rest of the story. Have a great weekend! :)
ReplyDeleteThe rest of the story...reminds me of Paul Harvey (maybe you are too young?). Thank you Martha
DeleteI'm glad you got to celebrate your birthday in just the way you enjoy. I love all those cheery flowers.
ReplyDeleteThanks Ruth
DeleteOh my gosh, I can't WAIT to find out what deal you bought! Let me guess, maybe a gnome or a troll? The place must have smelled so good. All the flowers look so fresh and beautiful. I am so glad you had such a great birthday! You both must have made quite an impression on the waitress.
ReplyDeleteNo, no gnomes. It's food related
DeleteA delicious birthday meal, I’d love that! A pleasant experience all round, remembering the lady from last time too. Good to have things in common when chatting. Thanks for the link as I didn’t know what a Shiner’s Bock was :) I’d love the walk around the flowers. Prices are getting up there aren’t they? I am intrigued and looking forward to your next post :)
ReplyDeleteNext post....really nothing special. Just something I've been looking for, for months
DeleteYUMMMMMMMM....
ReplyDelete"when SO CALLED PANDEMIC struck..." LOVE IT!!!!!
ANDDDDD did you see (on my blog today) that Faucci says "it's over!!!!!! And people will have to learn to live with it." Exactly what I have been saying for months!!!
Geeee, did the Science change?????
Yes, one of the Idiots actually said that, recently. LoLLLLL
NOPE, the Loonies are reading the Pres. Polls (baddddddd) and hearing that people are fed up. Inflation, gas prices, masks, children to be Jabbed...
Nothing like "the natives getting restless" when an Election is coming, to make 'em Wise UP! LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL
😊Blogs are little 1st Amendment machines😊
❤️
DeleteOh those shrimp sound delicious. A favorite of mine.
ReplyDeleteSuch beautiful flowers. Nice to see all that color at this time of year.
It's even quite drab around here...not much green like a "normal" south winter!
DeleteWhat a wonderful birthday celebration...and that shrimp looks and sounds soooo good! For some reason, I rarely order shrimp when we go out...and on the rare occasion that I do, it's never battered. It seems I don't get out to go out for dinner much and there are always something I think I favor more...and, besides, we are a bit limited in "seafood" offerings in these parts. You brought the most beautiful bouquet home on your phone...nd it will last much longer than the real ones. I love callas and usually plant some each year...sadly, they are not perennial here. ~Robin~
ReplyDeleteThe callas are something you don't see in gardens around here...I think they rot in the ground being so damp. Maybe..dunno.
DeleteOh those gorgeous flowers!! I especially love the roses.
ReplyDeleteI'm glad you got to have a delicious birthday lunch. And got to see 'your' waitress before she retires and disappears.
My favorite is the yellow rose!! 😊
DeleteSo pleased you enjoyed your birthday lunch.
ReplyDeleteI did enjoy seeing the colourful flowers.
All the best Jan
ThanksJan
DeleteI'm glad you had a great day. Those shrimp made me hungry! 😊
ReplyDeleteThanks. It's the one day in the year I indulge
DeleteI'm happy you had a nice day. The flowers are pretty and I agree on the call lily being elegant.
ReplyDeleteNow I'm anxious for your next post!
😊. Next post is a personal food item I've been wanting to try
DeleteMy mouth is watering.
ReplyDeleteCoffee is on and stay safe
😄
DeleteHappy birthday. It is a shame people are so sensitive these days & if you don't agree it quickly turns hateful. I loved the flower pics. It makes me think spring. Winter is tough.
ReplyDeleteThanks! I don't see a link for your blog?!!
DeleteI don't have one. I have thought of starting one but I am not technically inclined. At 58 I don't know how.
DeleteThat's fine...I just didn't want to miss it if on another venue.
DeleteI'm so happy you were able to celevrate your birthday!!! Perhaps you should go one more time to make up for the years you missed!!
ReplyDeleteI can't wait to find out what it is!!! I do love a HEB store!
It's nothing special...but, for me it was. Thanks Linda.
Delete