This past week, I mentioned that I actually found something I have been looking for at the grocery store. No, it's not anything that is holiday, decorating, themed as some of you guessed! It's a food. Well, more so a sweet treat. You see, many many moons ago, when I had two children at home, a career, and invalid parents to care for, plus a household to run, I practically LIVED off of everything caffeine related: tea, chocolate, fudge, brownies, cola, chocolate covered raisins was my go to snack at work. Eventually, as I aged, my body said "Enough!" And I had SVT [supraventricular-tachycardia]. It all began in 1996 after my father passed. We retired and moved to sunny, dry Tucson Arizona. All of a sudden, my heart rate was 250+ beats a minute.
I was rushed to ER and was diagnosed, sent home. But, the cause was unknown. It could've been stress, diet, hereditary! After many more trips to ER, the cardiologist suggested a heart ablation. I was leery. As I was also told that it wasn't that big of a deal. Wrong!! Having so many of these episodes [continuing sporadically up until we moved to the Gulf], I finally had a heart attack. Even after the heart attack, months went by and still SVT at times after an ablation in 2008. Doing my own research, and the lack of help [doctors always wanted to do more ablations! And Nuclear Stress tests, etc.] I came to the conclusion of eliminating this and that, it's most likely caffeine related. I stopped consuming ANYTHING caffeine!!!! But, poor Bud, I felt for him. He went along with my choices of snacking and "lack" of chocolate. And he LOVES chocolate. [He can eat anything!] Well, I started craving a brownie. It USED to BE our favorite dessert. Recently, in the last year or so, I was tempted to make some and eat one! Just one. But then, I knew better. It just may be another trigger to have me end up in the ER again, or worse. Then, online, I read about Carob. A chocolate substitute with NO caffeine. Some sites say it tastes like chocolate others say, not even close to the flavor. I searched stores here in town, emailed several establishments, shopped 'til I dropped. Even GNC the health food center... No carob! I did find it online. It's expensive, but if it satiates my craving...worth trying. I looked at the health food sections, the candy aisles, etc. But still no where to be found. We were at the super store, and I happened to go down the bakery aisle. In amongst the chocolate chips, clear at the bottom of the shelving unit...Carob Chips! I grabbed one, read the label "Caffeine Free" and threw it in our cart. Twice as much as Nestle's chips, but hey...
I was rushed to ER and was diagnosed, sent home. But, the cause was unknown. It could've been stress, diet, hereditary! After many more trips to ER, the cardiologist suggested a heart ablation. I was leery. As I was also told that it wasn't that big of a deal. Wrong!! Having so many of these episodes [continuing sporadically up until we moved to the Gulf], I finally had a heart attack. Even after the heart attack, months went by and still SVT at times after an ablation in 2008. Doing my own research, and the lack of help [doctors always wanted to do more ablations! And Nuclear Stress tests, etc.] I came to the conclusion of eliminating this and that, it's most likely caffeine related. I stopped consuming ANYTHING caffeine!!!! But, poor Bud, I felt for him. He went along with my choices of snacking and "lack" of chocolate. And he LOVES chocolate. [He can eat anything!] Well, I started craving a brownie. It USED to BE our favorite dessert. Recently, in the last year or so, I was tempted to make some and eat one! Just one. But then, I knew better. It just may be another trigger to have me end up in the ER again, or worse. Then, online, I read about Carob. A chocolate substitute with NO caffeine. Some sites say it tastes like chocolate others say, not even close to the flavor. I searched stores here in town, emailed several establishments, shopped 'til I dropped. Even GNC the health food center... No carob! I did find it online. It's expensive, but if it satiates my craving...worth trying. I looked at the health food sections, the candy aisles, etc. But still no where to be found. We were at the super store, and I happened to go down the bakery aisle. In amongst the chocolate chips, clear at the bottom of the shelving unit...Carob Chips! I grabbed one, read the label "Caffeine Free" and threw it in our cart. Twice as much as Nestle's chips, but hey...
Now, I am on a quest to find carob powder. Nope. Only online. I've contacted our local stores with a request they stock our super stores [HEBs], and got a response from the warehouse manager in San Antonio. We'll see. Maybe a wonderful, thick, chewy brownie with pecans is once again in my future!!!?! I found it on my birthday, so you can say "I was born again chocoholic". lol
Not only is it very similar in flavor of chocolate, the texture and smoothness, melting in you mouth, is satisfying. So far, a few 2 TBSP servings for me with no ill effects. Still, the health benefits are GREAT. Not only caffeine free, but a whole slew of goodness! Read on if you're interested....
1. Can Help Digestive Issues
People with digestive issues often find that consuming carob can help settle their digestive tract. This is because carob contains tannins that are different from what is usually found in plants. These tannins dry out the digestive tract which helps protect bacteria from growing on the intestines and stops toxins from sticking to the sides of the tract.
2. Helps Prevent and Treat High Cholesterol
Many people deal with high cholesterol which can lead to heart disease down the road. Carob may be a natural way to treat high cholesterol because it contains a high number of polyphenols. Polyphenols are a type of antioxidant that has been linked to the reduction of high cholesterol. Thus, eating carob on a regular basis can help you lower your LDL number, and can help prevent the development of heart disease down the line.
3. May Prevent Cancer
The combination of a high number of polyphenols and the concentration of carob germ flour from in carob combine to be toxic to some cells in the body.
4. Can Help with Weight Loss
If you are trying to lose weight, you may find that carob is a great natural appetite suppressant. This is because it stops the secretion of postprandial ghrelin, a hormone that tells your body when you are hungry. Therefore, you will feel less hungry less often.
5. Is Great for Diabetes
People with diabetes often have to pass on
sweets to prevent their blood sugar from spiking and complications from occurring from their disease. Carob, while tasting sweet like chocolate, only has a fraction of the fat found in chocolate and has much less sugar. It is also a third of the calories making it a great snack for people with diabetes and for those trying to lose weight. As a bonus, it also contains protein which makes it a great snack to have on hand if you have diabetes who occasionally experiences a drop in blood sugar.
6. Improve Eye Health
Carob is high in a number of vitamins, one of which is Vitamin A. Vitamin A plays a large role in maintaining the health of your eye tissue. As people age often their eye tissue breaks down resulting in a loss of vision known as macular degeneration. Consuming a regular amount of Vitamin A can help ward off the loss of tissue so that you can keep your vision for longer without needing medical intervention.
7. Packed Full of Vitamins and Minerals
Carob is packed full of a large variety of minerals and vitamins. This makes it far more beneficial to consume than chocolate. Carob can help satisfy your sweet tooth while also adding a large assortment of vitamins and minerals to your diet that includes Vitamins A, B-2, B-3, and B-6 and minerals like copper, zinc, manganese, calcium, magnesium, selenium, and potassium.
8. High in Calcium
Carob can be a great way to strengthen your bones because it contains a high amount of calcium in each serving. Every two-tablespoon serving of this healthy sweet chip contains 8% of the daily calcium intake. Calcium can help you prevent the development of osteoporosis and maintain a high bone density. Additionally, your body needs calcium for blood to clot properly and for your heart to beat regularly.
9. Natural Antioxidant
Free radicals and environmental toxins surround us whether we are aware of it or not. Even the most health-conscious person will be exposed to some free radicals on a fairly regular basis. The good news is that carob has a high number of antioxidants in the form of polyphenols in it. The antioxidants help to counteract the free radicals and remove them from the body before they can do any damage.
10. Great Source of Selenium
Your body needs a lot of minerals to function, one you may not think about much is selenium. Selenium is important for your overall health because it helps regular [sic---regulate] your thyroid, aids in the production of DNA and protects the body from infection.
You can still enjoy your favorite sweet treats like fudge, chocolate milkshakes, and brownies. The most common use for carob is in food. Carob tastes similar to chocolate and is a great alternative because it has:
a lot of fiber
antioxidants
low amounts of fat and sugar
no caffeine
no gluten
Because of their similar taste, people often compare carob to chocolate. However, it’s healthier than chocolate.
Carob
has twice the amount of calcium compared to cocoa
is free of a migraine-triggering compound
is caffeine- and fat-free
Adding or substituting carob into your diet can help:
lower your cholesterol
reduce your risk of heart disease
ease stomach issues
treat diarrhea
Wow - carob truly is a healthy substitute and once again, you can eat your chocolate. Chocolate is poison to dogs but they can have carob to stay safe. Enjoy!
ReplyDeleteI read that...
DeleteIn my research that carob is good for animals.
"I came to the conclusion of eliminating this and that, it's most likely caffeine related. I stopped consuming ANYTHING caffeine!!!!"
ReplyDeleteAnni, doesn't it blow you away by what caffeine (in excess) can do to your body? When I was still cutting hair and working in a salon, I used to consume so much caffeine (coffee, tea, choc, etc.) because I was always so busy that the caffeine kept me going all day. I didn't have a heart attack, however, I did cut back tremendously on my caffeine intake and immediately felt better.
I don't crave sweets anymore. And I haven't for years. But when I do, it's only chocolate. So I will have to look for these because from what you shared, they sound AWESOME!
Thanks for sharing the benefits. A-MAZING!
Have a grrrreat Sunday, my friend!
I know I enjoy them!!
DeleteHello,
ReplyDeletethe Health benefits sound great, I would give the Carob chips a try too. Take care, enjoy your day and the new week ahead.
It's healthy alternative, I think.
DeleteI'm so happy you found a good satisfying and healthy alternative. I've had carob candy from a place called Richards Bulk Foods. No idea if they are just in Florida though. Maybe try Whole Foods if there is one near you. I would think they would carry carob products.
ReplyDeleteSprouts & Natural Groceries here. Plus GNC...nada
DeleteWow, WHAT a post! I am so happy for you!! Yes, I used carob as a young mom when I was on a health food kick. I even had vitamin E tablets that were carob flavored. Those were the days of Adelle Davis. and I drank Tiger's Milk. Maybe none of that even exists anymore, it was 50 years ago! You poor thing, all these years going without and fearful of your SVT!! So how are you eating them now, just out of the bag? I had no idea of all the health benefits!!
ReplyDeleteYep, just straight from the bag.
DeleteLuckily, I've never graved sweets. Hubby likes them more than me; but I wouldn't say he graves them. Our daughter has always loved chocolate. I had always heard Carob was a good substitute and it's often been found in trail mix we would buy when we were hiking, so I assumed it was good for you., though never looked it up. Ablations are common with people who have Afib. Wonder if you had that back in the day and it just wasn't diagnosed? Some folks I know have had it done just a few times; but generally it's not needed more than a few times if people are good about takiing their meds...and if they've been given the right meds. It's a trial and error process, as there are several and who knows how each body will react to a given medication. Glad you've been able to find something you like that is also good for you. Well done!!
ReplyDeleteNo AFib...I had SVT. totally different.
DeleteFirst, I'm so happy you found this and that it works for you. that's so scary about your heart.
ReplyDeleteI will let blogger friend madsnapper know, she has some issues with her digestion.
Thank you so much for this. I used to buy carob powder back in the 70's and use it for all sorts of things, then I dropped it, don't know why. I later got adult onset type 1 diabetes, so it would have been perfect to use this for sweets. I saw a lot of it online, I just have to find a good tasting brand.
Yes, I too see it online.
DeleteI had no idea that carob was so hard to find. Even on Amazon? I'm glad you were able to find it and that you enjoy it.
ReplyDeleteI've switched to decaf coffee. I find that I just feel better overall. I don't need that Jolt since I'm retired, and it was upsetting my stomach.
Here, it is. "Hick" town, USA 🤪
DeleteIt sounds to me, Anni, like you have a caffeine allergy rather than simply sensitive to caffeine. Maybe consuming so much of it in your early years led to an allergy of it. Who knows but I'm glad you've found your answer! No, doctors would never give you such an easy & inexpensive solution to your problems as simply giving up caffeine! Have you tried a health food store for your carob? Our tiny locally-owned health food store has carob on every other shelf... carob everything! Let me know if I can help you locate something, ok? ~Andrea xoxo
ReplyDeleteAll health food stores, no go. Will have to order online.
DeleteThis was definitely interesting, Anni. My heartrate jumps high during the night sometimes and although the doctor has given me beta blockers if my bp gets over 150, I haven't taken them. And although I love coffee and tea dearly, I have cut back a lot. I do love dark chocolate, but don't think I over indulge... but might try carob. I have some digestive issues too... and it couldn't hurt to try. Thanks for all the info. I will say that it sounds almost too good to be true (all the good things about carob).
ReplyDeleteI agree, but what I've read it's considered a "super good"
DeleteSold!!! My goodness, if it even lives up to half the hype, it is a miracle. I do like just a little sweet after a meal and since I deal with Afib, I will give it a try. Thanks.
ReplyDeleteWorth trying imo
DeleteSounds like some great stuff! I'm glad you found it. I will definitely have to check it out!
ReplyDeleteIt helped my craving
DeleteWith, perhaps, benefits.
Wow! You certainly deserve a lovely retirement, after all that stuff, in your "past" life!!!!!
ReplyDeleteCaffeine Free!!!
Due to Mitral valve prolapse, I have not been able to eat caffeine in all forms, for years and years and years. Well before my 3 Heart Stents.
And coffee and chocolate are the most delightful forms of caffeine packed food/beverage.
Have always thought carob was another form of chocolate, and have never looked into it.
THANK YOU for this information!
I really crave a bit of sweet, after main meal. If I could have a few of these chips........ Oh I hope so. Will find those carob chips.
We still aren't wandering around in grocery stores yet... Actually, I hated it, when we did it, before china/covid, and have no desire to go back to it, full time. Just a couple of grocery stores, for a few items, we can't get, in regular Hannaford-To-Go orders. So I'll probably get it on line.
Thank you Dear Blogging Friend!!!! You have made my day!!!!!
Gentle hugs...
Yep, I see it online!
DeleteI'm IN!!! While I don't crave chocolate - Louis Dean does and he is mildly diabetic. Plus it sounds so good for you that I can't NOT have some! AND I am going to HEB in Waco tomorrow on our way to the ranch for 15 glorious days!!!
ReplyDeleteI remember when you had your heart attack and I am so happy you are taking good care of yourself.......
Fyi..
DeleteThe smaller HEBs don't carry it, bitthe HEB Plus stores do.
i have heaten carob in the past and it is good, as good as chocolate depending on what it is in. i am happy you could cure yourself without the aid o doctors. i had to do that, none of them did one thing to help with my IBS. I can't eat the carob because it has sugar in it. first ingredent. I can't eat sugar but this sounds great for you
ReplyDeleteExactly..
DeleteDoctors don't know everything.
That sound great for you. Sure hope you get to make those brownies!!
ReplyDeleteI feel so fortunate that I can eat anything without it bothering me.
The only thing I have to worry about is eating too much of anything and getting fat!! :)
...like Bud. He can eat any & All.
DeleteWow, interesting packaging even though it's new to me. It looks and sounds like a good thing to eat and I'm happy you found it!
ReplyDeleteI'm happy too.
DeleteYour relentless search for Carob really speaks volumes to your craving for chocolate! Glad to hear that it has been found and provides actual good benefits for you.
ReplyDeleteI've never raced anything as much as a brownie!!
DeleteThis sounds like something I should try too. I will have to scope it out in our local stores. I love my cup of coffee in the morning but have found that it isn't making me feel so good any more.. Think I have to recalibrate...
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad you can get all your heart issues under control. I believe we have to be our own advocate and do the research ourselves...Doctors don't know it all and we know how our own bodies feel...
Great post
I'm home from church today since my allergies are really acting up and that dry tickle in my throat wouldn't be good for anybody to listen to instead of the pastor....(:0)
Sue
hi, to answer your question..I did choose the first one. Dave liked it best too.
DeleteSue
It's best to see a doctor, but yet make your own conclusions! Imo
DeleteGood choice. 😊
DeleteOH my word thank you Anni what a wealth of information. We are chocolate addicts.
ReplyDeleteIt is very nice to know about the Carob chips. I have never shopped for so I was surprised it was hard to find..although in these days and times of toilet paper etc shortages I should not be surprised about anything being scarce.
Happy Valentine's Eve
Hugs cecilia
I don't think it sells much.
DeleteMy goodness, look at all the comments! You didn't say whether or not you found that caffeine caused your problems, but apparently so, since you've stopped and no longer seem to need to eat chocolate. Years ago I was a fan of carob, but since caffeine and I are well acquainted and seem to get along fine, I'll stick with my dark chocolate. Great information, thank you!
ReplyDeleteI'll never know for sure, but caffeine seemed to trigger my svt.
DeleteIt seems that Carob is the answer to your chocolate craving. Too bad it's expensive but it sounds very worth the cost.
ReplyDeleteCheaper than ER.😄
DeleteI’m so glad you found it. Thanks for spreading the word. ❤️
ReplyDelete😊
DeleteI've heard carob was good but I had no idea it had so many health benefits.
ReplyDeleteMe either. Until I searched for caffeine free chocolate!
DeleteI've heard of carob but never tried it. I didn't know it was so hard to find. Glad you did though, and that it turned out to be so good!
ReplyDeleteI hope I can eat it moderately.
DeleteI may have to get some Carob. Sounds like it has many health benefits.
ReplyDeleteI agree....almost too good to be true.
DeleteI've had Carob only a few time. To me it taste different that choc. But I liked!
ReplyDeleteCoffee is on and stay safe
😊
DeleteThis is really interesting Anni. I am going to put carob on my next shopping list. Thanks for all the great information.
ReplyDeleteIf you try it, tell me what you think, okay?
DeleteI have always eaten and drank anything and everything but never liked dark Chocolate. This information is VERY interesting. I just might have to find some and try it. It is so good that you are able to do all of the activities and are smart enough to keep yourself healthy. GO CAROB!
ReplyDelete..
DeleteJust like Bud.
This really is interesting...I am glad you posted the information. I wonder if it could be found here....i bet if not here, at least in Indianapolis.
ReplyDeleteIf not in stores, online?!!
DeleteWhat A Powerfully Executive Profile Photo - Well Done - Very Well Done
ReplyDeleteCheers
Thanks so much Travis
DeleteBack when I was a younger version of myself, I used to buy carob covered almonds, raisins, etc. to snack on at work. We had a good health food store within walking distance of my office. Not that I gave up real chocolate though. That would be serious torture for me. Serious. Glad you found a suitable "fix." ~Robin~
ReplyDeleteMmmmm,carob covered almonds sound great!
Delete