The Week Before Christmas...


I've finished getting the house cleaned. Today I'm baking pecan cookies, tomorrow I will make peanut brittle and popcorn balls, then, the next day I'll make a couple of pies. I know for sure, one pumpkin [it's Erik's favorite] and either a cherry or apple pie. On the Christmas menu we will again have roasted turkey, dressing, 3 bean salad, mashed potatoes and gravy, cranberry waldorf jello salad [cherry jello, whole cranberries, celery, marshmallows and pecans], yams, cole slaw, yeast rolls and probably a relish dish with pickles, olives, cheeses, etc. I don't know why I make all the extra stuff, 'cause we all favor the turkey, dressing and potatoes most. Egg nog will be served, along with liquor and ice water [ice water for me!!]

We have games lined up, Uno, Pinochle [partners], the deluxe quadruple scrabble, trivial pursuit, hearts, and probably penny ante poker.

My sister and I plan on making a gingerbread house. That'll be a 'first' for us both. Sharon seems excited about it. That's what counts...give her a bit of entertainment and hopefully some giggles. New Year's Day is her birthday, so dining out is called for...dunno where yet, tho.  Along with champagne.   Needless to say, it'll be two weeks of a continual sugar-high!!!

This will be my last post until after New Year's sometime. I think Sharon will depart for a flight back home to Colorado on the 4th. Then, I'll tear down the decorations and get home back to normal and return to blogging.

By the way, altho my profile states I began blogging in November of 2006. That is partially true. I don't consider that my blog-o-versary tho. My very first blog post was on Christmas DAY!! So, on Christmas, this will be my 15th year of blogging. Checking my stats it shows I've published 3685 posts in that time frame! I really didn't know I was that gabby. Guess so. At the beginning my blog was Hootin' Anni's Chronicles, but after I decided to 'chronicle' my bird day trips and calculate my goal of 10K steps each day walking, etc. I changed it to Hootin' Anni's Day Trippin' and stuck with that title. More fitting!

I admit, I get easily side-tracked at times while blogging. Sketching, photography, humor, crafting [like the Santa afghan shown here. I made my own graph to follow and I think it turned out pretty good!], etc. As far as blogging goes, I do tend to stay away from politics and religion [that's all too personal], and besides, I don't like to be preached to or I don't like others trying to get me to change my standing on government...so, why should I sit here and preach or campaign to those who read my blog? Sometimes, the finding of a good book or watching an exceptional movie gets my attention and I blog about it.  Sometimes I blog about family.  I've been meaning to blog about my youngest grandson and what he's been doing of which I am so proud!  I keep forgetting.  Maybe I will remember to write about it all in the future.

Well, I best go get to working on other things. I plan to take a short drive to the bay coast [not the islands] this morning before making cookies. A newly constructed pier was 'christened' this past weekend after Hurricane Harvey demolished the old one. I will take photos hopefully. I am sure if I don't get there before the 'newness' wears thin, there will be trash and graffiti and it won't be pretty as it looked on the news the other night. And the weather will be cool with a promise of some rain... before it turns tropical-warm again before the week's over.

Y'all take care, I will return after the first week in January sometime. In the meantime, have a great holiday if you observe, stay safe.  Stay healthy!  Maybe the valediction is redundant but... See'ya in 2022!!!

74 comments:

  1. Wow, you are really doind up things RIGHT!! Never heard of Quadruple Scrabble, maybe you will educate us on that one when you return. I know you will have a blast; Merry Christmas, Anni!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your holiday menu sounds delicious! Enjoy your family and Happy 15th Blogoversary. Merry Christmas, Anni!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Blog Anniversary! Your Christmas menu sounds delicious. Take care, have a great day and week ahead! Enjoy your break! Merry Christmas to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your Christmas dinner sounds delicious and all the festivities sound like a lot of fun. Enjoy your time with family and have a very Merry Christmas. See you in the new year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like you have quite a busy and fun week lined up ahead! And thankfully it will be well-balanced with plenty of fun to be had. Good luck with the ginger bread house!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And my warmest wishes to you and your family for a Merry Christmas and a very Happy New Year! Where did 2021 disappear to? It seems like yesterday that Texas was buried in snow. Hopefully it will be a much warmer winter!

      Delete
    2. Yep, that was a nasty year all the way around. Have a glorious holiday.

      Delete
    3. ...and, thanks Steven.

      Delete
  6. "I know for sure, one pumpkin [it's Erik's favorite."

    YUM! And my favorite as well, Anni! I LOVE me some pumpkin pie! You Christmas menus sounds delicious. In fact, your entire holiday plans sound wonderful!

    You and I have been blogging for the same amount of time. When I think back to when I started, it seems like a BILLION years ago, and yet, it feels like two minutes ago. My blog title has changed over the years as well.

    So glad we met. It's been a pleasure getting to know you this past year. Have a FABULOUS Christmas and New Years, and I'll see you in 2022!

    P.S. I love that reindeer glass!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Itooam happy we now are friends!! Merry Christmas Ron.

      Delete
  7. Happy Christmas week Anni wow would like consider adopting me as a sister? What a fun week you have planned. I love (used) Uno. I'm addicted to WWF which is iPad Scrabble.
    You all have a wonderful week.
    Hugs to all
    Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well you are really packing in the fun for the next couple of weeks. Have a marvelous time and enjoy your company. We will see you when you get back to blogging.
    Stay safe and big time congrats on your blogaversary. 3685 posts, wow, be proud.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Patti! Hope your holiday is super!

      Delete
  9. I'd revel in that holiday menu! It sounds tremendous. Enjoy your holiday company and good luck in your games. I hope you win your share.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Even if I cheat, I can't win! 😉

      Delete
  10. What a wonderful assortment of activities you have planned! It is GREAT that you are capable of not only the planning, and decoratiing, but all of the baking and cooking and celebrating. GO!! Happy HOLIDAY!

    ReplyDelete
  11. P.S. I look forward to photos, especially of the Gingerbread houses!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only one gingerbread house! 🏚️🎄🏚️.

      Delete
  12. Sounds like a delightful time is planned!

    Enjoy!

    Happy Christmas!

    Happy Eve of Winter Solstice / Yule!
    🎄🌟🔥🌕🎄🌕🔥🌟🎄

    ReplyDelete
  13. What wonderful Holiday weeks you have planned -- games, food, visit from your family! Sounds absolutely perfect. And not to forget the gingerbread house! It's always fun to add a new tradition while still keeping hold of the good old ones. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year and thank you for sharing the joy! Both here and at the wonderful Rather B' Birding!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sallie! Have a great holiday season.

      Delete
  14. Enjoy every minute of your Christmas festivities and time with your sister and family.
    Food sounds delightful and games, laughter and togetherness...that's what it's all about.
    I will miss your posts and will be looking forward to learning all about your holiday adventures when you return. Love you dear blogging friend.
    Season's Greetings
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sue! I feel blessed knowing you and becoming friends!!

      Delete
  15. Happy blogiversary and merry Christmas.
    www.rsrue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sounds like a very busy, fun and happy couple of weeks.
    A very Merry Christmas to you and all your family.
    See you in the new year.
    God Bless You.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen, and Happy holidays to you and Ken!

      Delete
  17. You are an amazing woman! Have a Merry Christmas and I hope you will find some time to just relax after taking care of everything and everyone..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Inger! Merry Christmas & happy new year!

      Delete
  18. Your Christmas menu is awesome. So is that Santa afghan that you made.
    I hope you have a wonderful Christmas with your family and I look forward to hearing all about it. Also, congratulations on 15 years of blogging!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Have a wonderful Christmas and New Years!

    ReplyDelete
  20. It's going to be busy and so much fun! Merry Christmas - see you in the New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mari. Hope you are enjoying your break from blogging as much as I am.

      Delete
  21. Is there nothing you cannot do?? Crocheting (or knitting?? I do neither) now and charting your own graph to boot. Sounds like a gourmet menu in store...lucky guests! I'll have some turkey, mashed potatoes/gravy...then a plate of pecan cookies for dessert please. (but I'll take some pumpkin Pie to go for a snack later please). Ahhh...the games. Some of my family were huge into the games after holiday meals back when we were family. My favorites were Balderdash, Pictionary, and Trivial Pursuit. enjoy your get-togethers and celebrations (and warm weather!!) Merry, merry...and Happy, Happy!!! ~Robin~ (PS...I, too, love that glass!!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never played balderdash...
      fun? Thanks Robin,and enjoy the season!!

      Delete
  22. I love this post!!! It’s so much fun following you! I really have enjoyed getting to know you through your words and photos and count you and Bud as our friends.
    Your Christmas plans sound perfect and you and your sister will have some fun with that gingerbread house!
    Love that beautiful reindeer glass!!!
    Merry Christmas, Anni and Bud!!! And a Happy New Year!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks...I feel blessed knowing you. Best wishes to you and L D (and kitties)

      Delete
  23. Happy holidays and be sure to take pics of that gingerbread house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Got 'em. You can tell it was our first ever. We were truly not knowing much. lol

      Delete
  24. Merry Christmas! It sounds like a good time at your house. I will try to remind you to tell us about your grandson. I am curious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, a reminder is ALWAYS a good thing!!

      Delete
  25. Remember leave a light on for your sista from dixie
    Merry Merry Christmas and may we all have a happy and healthy 2022
    Hugs to you and your B from
    Me and My B
    Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love all the special things you have planned for the week! Wish I was related to you too! lol holiday hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome to join the festivities. Bring an apron!!

      Delete
  27. I know you are going to have a wonderful time with your sister visiting Anni. I am excited for you, especially reading about all you will be doing. Wishing you and each and every loved one A Very Merry Christmas and A Happy New Year!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Denise ...happy holidays to you and your family!!

      Delete
  28. A Merry christmas and a happy new year !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Caroline!! Same to you and your loved ones.

      Delete
  29. Have a wonderful time.
    Sending lots of Merry Christmas Wishes and a happy new year too.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jan. Hope your holiday week is the best!

      Delete
  30. Definitely sounds like and old fashioned, family Christmas celebration. Love that. And your birdie art is awesome. Happy times, Mz. Annie. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ....and happy times right back atcha!! Thanks.

      Delete
  31. Merry Christmas!! LOL Oh, well, I'm soooo behind. Better late than never, eh!?
    I make peanut (and cashew) brittle, too. (it's a microwave version)
    Pinochle.... wow... we haven't played in yearsss, but used to enjoy it very much. We had a little tournament among friends.... that was decades ago. It's been a long time since we've played. Might have to teach some family/friends and get games going again.
    Have a wonderful new year!!
    ~Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The game is so much fun! Thanks Mary.

      Delete
  32. The menu sounded awesome! I hope you had a Merry Christmas and will have a very Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Happy New Yesr! I hope you and your sister have had loads of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Happy New Year, sweet Anni! I hope your Chrstimas & New Years was the best ever! ~Andrea xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete

Table of Contents