You didn't think I'd go without publishing this blog from way back when, did you? Why do I continue to post this each year? Only 'cause at the end of the commercial....the house....it is near a replica of my grandparents' house. And the tree-lined, snow covered, country, lane is exactly what we had to get thru to grandma's house...yep, this continues and will ALWAYS take me to my own days of yore, with tears of great memories and wishin' to go back in time ....I have so many thoughts. And Christmases with my parents from my childhood up until they passed away....it's ALWAYS IN MY DREAMS!!!! I wish the beer company would bring this back to television.
- It's been 25 years since it was filmed on a snowy night in the Mad River Valley of Vermont. Every holiday season since, starting around Thanksgiving, the ad returns to television screens.
"It stops your heart," said Gaelic McTigue, who owns one of the shops seen in the commercial.
If you've never seen the ad, its action and emotional momentum are pulled by a workhorse, the kind built for drudgery and known as a hackney.
That's no name, however, for such a combination of grace and power.
The animal's head and neck bow into the bracing cold, and it surges ahead as six simple notes strike the keys of a piano. The melody flows right into the limbic brain. We don't need the lyrics; they're wired in like smell or wind.
I'll … be home … for Christmas … The music is important.
Of course, the clipping from the online article states 25 years.since filming the commercial. In 2021, as I type this up, it's many more years now. Read the whole story of the making of this commercial here....it'll warm your heart.
I've never had a Miller beer in my life, but the ad still brings tears to my eyes ~ TFS!
ReplyDeleteYep, you & me both.
DeleteYou sure don't need the lyrics for that. I sang along.
ReplyDeleteI'd love to see this song played all the way thru.
DeleteYes, yes, yes, Anni...I clearly remember seeing this commercial back in the 80's!!! Brought back wonderful memories too. And like you, wishin' to go back in time.
ReplyDeleteThanks so much for not only sharing this vintage commercial, but for also sharing the insert about the commercial. Later today, I will read the whole article. I love all the behind-the-scenes stuff! And I agree, the music IS important because it adds to the "feeling."
Have a great weekend, Anni!
I share it each year. For me this is the best commercial of all time.
DeleteIt's such a wonderful commercial!
ReplyDeleteIt is, isn't it?
DeleteHello,
ReplyDeleteIt is a wonderful Christmas commercial. have a happy weekend.
😊🎄🎄😊
Deletepiano music is beautiful, i actually like to hear this song without the words being sung. i don't remember seeing this before.
ReplyDeleteI agree. Piano with no singing is perfection
DeleteJust lovely. It takes the rush out of the holidays and reaffirms my wish to someday take a horse drawn sleigh ride in the snow. That has been a dream since I was a wee one.
ReplyDeleteI hope you can see this dream come true!
DeleteThey just don't make commercials like that which tug at your heart and are so authentically warm anymore. It is a wonderful clip.
ReplyDeleteAgree wholeheartedly!
DeleteAwwwwww Anni!!! I had tears as I watched this commercial. What a loving and wonderful place your Grandma's house must have been. May it live forever in your dreams and this commercial. Thank you for sharing... I am blessed to have seen this!! ~Andrea xoxoxo
ReplyDeleteIt especially becomes clear this time of year.
DeleteOh thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ReplyDeleteAnd thank you for the wonderful memories, which it brings to you!
Hugs and Love...
🎄🌟🔥🎄🔥🌟🎄
❤️🎄🎄❤️
DeleteJust beautiful, thank you so much for sharing it. And, I do the same as you, look back on Christmas with my family, there was always snow, cozy and warm inside, presents under the tree and great anticipation for when time came to open them.
ReplyDeleteChristmas is so magical in so many ways.
DeleteIt's stunning. I imagine you get a lump in your throat every thime you see it. I can almost feel the cold. The horse is so amazing, as well.
ReplyDeleteYes, I'm not ashamed to admit...tears flow!
DeleteI don't remember ever seeing that commercial before but i love it1 I can see why it makes you tear up seeing that house so much like your grandparents!
ReplyDeleteAs I say...a near replica.
DeleteThat is a great Christmas commercial and I do remember it! :)
ReplyDelete😊🎄❤️
DeleteTotally misty-eyed... This has always been Dave's and my fantasy Christmas dream.
ReplyDeleteSad but happy too..such mixed emotions for me.
Sue
Your dream? The sleigh ride? Or being home for Christmas? Or both?
DeleteThat's such a sweet commercial. I love it even though I don't like Miller beer and I have very few pleasant memories of Christmas as a child.
ReplyDeleteFor me, it's not at all about beer.
DeleteThe last week or so the lyrics "Dashing Through the Snow" have emerged from my memory bank, just like this lovely ride did again today. Thank you! :-)
ReplyDelete😊
DeleteOk...so why did this bring tears to my eyes??? Just beautiful. I don't remember ever seeing this - although there was very little tv watching in the '80's/'90's for me. It brings to mind my dad's horses and the sleigh he'd hitch up... I had the sleigh restored several years back and it now has a place of honor here. ~Robin~
ReplyDeleteWhat a memorable treasure to possess!
DeleteIt a relaxing commercial. One like when I was younger. I don't call the brand. It was for a eclectic man razor.
ReplyDeleteCoffee is on and stay safe
It is quite sentimental for me
DeleteI can sure see why this pulled li scatbyour heartstrings. Will read the whole story later.
ReplyDeleteIt does...every time
DeleteIt's the perfect commercial to evoke the feelings of Christmas, which I sorely miss. And what is Chicago at Christmas time without any measurable snowfall? It's bleak out there.
ReplyDeleteMaybe yet, you will get a white Christmas!!
DeleteI have seen a lot of the beer commercials over the years, among my favorites. I have never seen this one before, I love it! Thank you for sharing Anni :)
ReplyDelete😊❤️😊
DeleteI love this commercial! It's funny - I don't like beer, but I like a lot of beer commercials!
ReplyDeleteThere are some good ones (Budweiser comes to mind)
DeleteI don't recall this commercial at all. It's really the nostalgic christmas we all think about, isn't it?
ReplyDeleteTrue...nostalgic.
DeleteI like that one, the one I wait for all year, and they change it. but I did get to
ReplyDeletesee it once so far, it's the candy kiss bells one
🔔🔔❤️🔔🔔
DeleteIt's so beautiful!!!! Thank you! It was like a special Christmas Card!
ReplyDeleteIt WAS, AND still is for me.
DeleteIt is a lovely commercial. I have seen it before, but enjoyed it just as much this time around.
ReplyDeleteSomething about that commercial is familiar, or maybe just the music. Nice share though for sure! Glad it brings up good memories for you.
ReplyDeleteThere are cans of Miller High Life in our fridge right now. Hmm... oh, it's only 10 a.m. here so I'll just finish my coffee. haha