To continue with Robert's Point Park day tripping, as I walked the perimeter, there were sights and sounds galore. Besides the day being beautiful, the area was busy with activities and the slight breeze made it a very comfortable walk. If you missed the previous post of the view from the high observation tower and lighthouse and pretty views from a whole 'nother perspective, click here. [warning tho, if you suffer from vertigo, it may not be suitable for you]
I will now continue and conclude this trek in photos...
There is a lot to watch and sometimes when the larger ships come thru at a snails' pace, I tend to find where they are headed once I get home and use the "fleet" website. This one today, the "Seamagic" was going out toward the Caribbean sea. Its flag ship port, Malta. You can tell it was running empty because the copper colored paint of the hull is showing above water. If it was full, the hull would be below the water surface. By using the link provided above, you can view its current position daily.
Pelicans, gulls, grackles, and egrets were busy hunting or 'begging' for breakfast. I think I saw a frigatebird in flight over the channel too, but by the time I realized it was perhaps the rarity, the sun made it disappear like magic. And, by then, I was distracted by a couple of fishermen near the granite boulders. They were busy reeling in a large catch! I watched, and asked permission for a photo op....it was granted. The fish is one I had never seen before. Its dorsal fin was very elongated, but yet the head was that of a catfish. I asked them...they informed me it was a gafftospail...if indeed they were correct in IDing. Honestly, your guess is as good as mine. A fisherman, I am not.
Pelicans, gulls, grackles, and egrets were busy hunting or 'begging' for breakfast. I think I saw a frigatebird in flight over the channel too, but by the time I realized it was perhaps the rarity, the sun made it disappear like magic. And, by then, I was distracted by a couple of fishermen near the granite boulders. They were busy reeling in a large catch! I watched, and asked permission for a photo op....it was granted. The fish is one I had never seen before. Its dorsal fin was very elongated, but yet the head was that of a catfish. I asked them...they informed me it was a gafftospail...if indeed they were correct in IDing. Honestly, your guess is as good as mine. A fisherman, I am not.












I've enjoyed this trip with you. Interesting how you can track the progress of the ships.
ReplyDeleteThat sure is an odd looking fish.
I'd never seen a fish like it before.
DeleteHello,
ReplyDeleteThat is an interesting looking fish. I love the Egret and Pelican, pretty views of the boats.
Take care, enjoy your day!
Hi Eileen...hope you had a great holiday weekend! Enjoy the rest of the week.
DeleteWhat a lot of ship activity! Love the beautiful birds!
ReplyDeleteThere always is...it's the 3rd busiest in the USA I believe.
Deleteyou sure had a great day out... and I have never seen one of these fish, but it does say it is a Texas Catfish, so that might be why. I did find and image that looks more like this one, https://fishgame.com/2018/07/be-careful-with-salt-catfish/
ReplyDelete...found in jetties and channels. It may be the one! Like I said, I know nothing about fish in the wild.
DeleteInteresting how you can track the ships. That was an unusual fish but for sure in the catfish family. I read their fin was poisonous.
ReplyDeleteSorry you missed a shot of your Frigatebird. Next time.
They create some kind of slime that is numbing. I guess. LOL
DeleteMaybe sometime soon, I will see another frigatebird.
What are those spiky things on the front of the SEAMAGIC? The closeup picture is #3. The clothes seem to form the characters of the dolls. The hair not as much.
ReplyDeleteThe spiky thing in #3 is one of the two anchors! Yes, the clothes create the character for sure.
DeleteI am so glad to learn about that "fleet" website to track the ships! Very intersting. Now I can track some of them I see on the various livestream webcams. Some of the ships look so worn out that I wonder what they are carrying and if they are even safe! Interesting photos as always. That funny fish must be good eating.
ReplyDeleteThat's how I feel about those shrimp boats!!
DeleteNow that's one strange fish. Wish I could have seen the front of the fish. the head does have the catfish rounded look to it.
ReplyDeleteTerrific photos of all the birds and ships going in and out.
I am glad you had such a refreshing day.
Sue
Well, as I said, this is one fish I've never seen before.
DeleteNice that you can check on the ships you have seen....
ReplyDeleteAnd it must be very interesting, to see all those ships. Water, water, water.... And ships, ships, ships... I never get to see anything like this.
Gentle hugs,
🎀💛🎀
Water & ships are fascinating for me. I enjoy being near both.
DeleteWow, this is a WEIRD fish! And I have never heard of this name.
ReplyDelete...me either.
DeleteP.S. I love your gorgeous new header!!
ReplyDeleteThanks Ginny. Very much.
DeleteYou live in a great place for photos. Thank you so much for sharing. ❤️
ReplyDeleteGlad knowing you enjoy my photos.
DeleteThat sure is one weird looking fish! Thanks for not making me dizzy today. Great shots and looks like it was a great day! :)
ReplyDeleteYou're welcome🤪
DeleteYou sure do have quite a variety of birds around. And that fish...certainly strange-looking.
ReplyDeleteStrange indeed. This area of Texas is a bird paradise.
DeleteLooks like a perfect day for walking.
ReplyDeleteInteresting looking fish!
Looks like lots of ships coming and going.
Enjoyed ALL the pictures.
Thanks Karen.
DeleteI too like your new header, and I enjoyed hearing about that weird fish. You sure do have lots of interesting things to photograph. :-)
ReplyDeleteI try to find things of interest when I can. 😊
DeleteI always find it fascinating when ships come and go out of harbors; even when it is only Lake Michigan here in Chicagoland. Great series of photos with an informative website for tracking ships. It seems like a website like this would be dangerous in a world post-9/11. I love that strutting egret. : - )
ReplyDeleteI understand how you think!!
DeleteFascinating photos. I think I enjoy them because these are things I just don’t see here.
ReplyDeleteGlad you find them of interest Ruth.
DeleteWhat strikes me so beautifully about all this pictures and your narration, Anni, is how much you are "in your element" by the water and the various ships & boats. You have found your happy place here on earth and that's rare for some folks. Thank you for always being so willing to share it with us. ~Andrea xoxoxo
ReplyDeleteYes, it is a happy place by the sea.
DeleteThe New Banner Photo Is Rather Impressive - Well Done - Happy June And Stay Creative
ReplyDeleteCheers
Thanks Travis.
DeleteBeautiful
ReplyDeleteThanks
Delete