Well, I don't think it's over quite yet ...we have another icy front moving in today. Tho, after 2 1/2 days of no power and indoor temps in the 40 degree range during the DAY and lower at night, we have survived it all so far. I must say we lost all our frozen foods, and stuff in refrigerator. But, food isn't essential at that time, surviving the cold was priority. We've been eating from canned goods and heating them up by candlelight of all things if necessary. It's been an eye opening experience. And Ms. G...I found out that the generators in the neighborhood ...their engines froze and they all were in the same 'boat' as we were. It was an amazing experience. We spent most of our waking hours, reading in bed with piles of clothes and blankets. Now that the worst is over [I hope], it has to be comical. But....this is the back stabbing issue for me: I now hear that this was not necessary?!!! Shutting off most of the grids throughout the state and making elders, animals, families, suffer?!! I immediately wrote my Senator, district Representative, and the Governor of Texas about this situation, and hope that my words were read and the state begins working on this so it will never happen again. It's all about money, and all about filling the pockets of corporation execs. I'm a bit p o'd from all this. Another sad issue has happened. The Gulf water temp dropped to 38 degrees and below [near freezing] and the sea turtles were all cold shocked. Many thousands were rescued by volunteers, but many MORE perished!! Oh, and one more little ditty...water issues now. We have just a trickle coming through our pipes/faucets! All kinds of water mains breaking throughout the city. We are now under a bottle water drinking issue and/or boiling our tap water for consumption.
But we have power. I couldn't charge the phones or laptop 'cause the car charger didn't fit in either port. Need to find new ones or an adapter. And I want to take this time to thank EVERYONE for your concern. It means the world to me.
Have thought of you often over the weekend. . .we have had a total of 6 inches of snow but and very frigid weather too, but so far no loss of utilities. I know how rare this is for you! I remember a Christmas we spent in Corpus with Ron's mother and now odd it was to be there with freezing temps. That was in (I think) 1976. I can only imagine what this has done to all the flora in your area. Wishing you well and warmer temps!
ReplyDeleteThanks Cathy!
DeleteOh Anni.... I'm so so happy you're alive and ok, albeit a little "beat up". Yes, what a mess for the folks in your state. I hope things get figured out for next time (hopefully there will never be a "next time")!!
ReplyDeleteMy hubby and I are "preppers" and have been for over 20 years. If anything I hope these types of scenarios encourage folks to think about what they'd do "in case of....". I'm curious about one thing though: why didn't you stick your frozen foods out in the snow? Or bring some snow inside and put it in your freezer and refrigerator? Your food didn't have to perish. But I'm sure there was so much to think about that doing that didn't occur to you. Totally understandable.
~Love, Andrea xoxo
Most times power is restored quickly. Food wasn't my concern.
DeleteI am so happy and relieved to see this Anni. I've been so worried about you! It's horrible what's going on there. I'm glad you wrote to your officials, not that it will do much good. Your governor is about the same as ours here in Florida. I am heartbroken to hear about the sea turtles.
ReplyDeleteI am so thankful that you have power back now. I sure hope it stays on and hope this is all over with soon!
Saying my piece made ME feel better
Deletei saw Linda Chapman post early and my mind was set at ease and I have been waiting to hear you are alright and here you are. this is even worse than hurricanes are, and does as much damage as one does. we are so dependent on power now and i can't even imagine how hard this was.. thanks for letting us know and glad you have power.. i assume the shelves are empty of bottle water, hope you have enough to get by.. the turtles are mind boggling, they lead such a life just surviving us humans, and now cold water. we re in the 80's today but your cold front will be here tomorrow morning, but not freezing, only 42 for 3 days... hugs and glad you are alive and well
ReplyDeleteThe whole store was barren. And most shoppers told me it's the same all over the city.
DeleteOh baby I was so worried about you! The storm has also made it to the Dutch newspapers! The report and interviews with the people of Texas were in the newspapers and on television!
ReplyDeletePoor sea turtles! I hope not too many have died!
I am grateful that you are back on the blog! I wish you the all the best!
It's a mess. The whole state wasn't prepared.
DeleteOMG! I am so happy to see a post from you today. I have been so concerned and my heart goes out to all of you and your loved ones!
ReplyDeleteI read your post to my hubby and he said to tell you that your letter will be fuel for someone in government to burn in their fireplace to keep warm.
Thank you so much for keeping in touch with us.
Warm Hugs ❤
Kindling...yes, I know.
DeleteAnni, get some of those rechargeable cell phone chargers, they give you a little time (like two hours). I have several and I just make sure they are still charged every three months or so. I think I bought mine from Big Lots, and some were given to me when I worked in the oilfield. So sad about the turtles, how I wish more could have been saved, this is very sad indeed. Stay safe. And yes, this SHOULD be a wake-up call to Texas and all other states that better plans need to be in place, because there WILL be a "next time."
ReplyDeleteI have 'em. But they don't fit my new phone's port.
DeleteI’m so glad you’re all right and things are getting better. The best guess is there will be a lot more extreme weather events and it’s time to start planning for them. Fingers crossed on beefing up the infrastructure.
ReplyDeleteJust population growth alone should wake 'em up.
DeleteWhew..it was good to hear from you. Hope you can overcome and carry on OK. Some can't. I never want to hear again that everything in Texas is bigger!! Bigger was not better this time! The damage to nature's animals and plants is appalling and upsetting too. As for the stand-by generators -that was really too bad. I have learned that "once installed, standby generators are permanent and powered by either natural gas or a propane tank. ... Leaves, sub-freezing temperatures, snow, and ice can all damage your standby generator if not properly maintained and can prevent your standby generator from starting and running during a winter power outage." We have ours serviced every Fall and keep all vents clear. It automatically starts up and runs for 15 minutes every week and the Mister checks the oil regularly. Please keep on hanging tough. SO GLAD TO HEAR FROM YOU!!!
ReplyDeleteThanks Ms. G. Yes, that was my thoughts too. Upkeep for generators is like any appliance.
DeleteOh, Annie, so sorry to hear how difficult it's been for you. Texas has been hit hard... and again, not prepared (or not prepared enough). Here people are without power, water pipes are busting all over the area, groceries are empty and closed, gas stations empty and closed, etc.. There are warming centers opening all over to help. Hopefully the weather will get better in a few days so the roads may no longer by icy, but people will still have to cope with the problems of busted pipes, water damage, insurance, water, etc. And I'm so sorry to hear about the turtles!
ReplyDeleteYa, grocery stores are pretty barren here too.
DeleteWe think about you so many times during the day and send multiple prayers to you and to all of those peeps in trouble. What a SuperHorrible situation but it sounds like you are making the very best of it♥
ReplyDeleteWe tried. There was even a bit of laughter now & then!
DeleteWe have been in terrible conditions and still are. They say there is a ray of light coming up. Better off than some as power was off and on where others still do not have it. Never saw anything like it my 91 years. Also, for some reason I cannot download photos to blog. I know very little the blog functions. What little I do I do it over and over each time. Otherwise, know nothing about the various blog operations. May not have anymore blogs as I do not understand what is wrong.
ReplyDeleteStay warm LV ... And, hope you continue to blog.
DeleteSo glad to hear you are okay. We have been following all the events on the news. I'm glad you wrote to those in charge..I think that some of the deaths will be on their heads for the all inclusive shutdown. A tragedy...Hope your pipes don't burst and you will still be able to "cook" a bit..interesting to warm your dinner by candle power...
ReplyDeleteContinued prayers for you and all Texans..
Sue
It was canned goods, so heat by candleflame worked. Lol
DeleteSo glad to see your post. Have been worrying about you and all the poor souls without power and some without water. Can't imagine how brutal that was. We were threatened with rolling blackouts but they never happened. Amen. We are conserving so I am bundled up trying to obey. Been housebound since Monday but today there is a bit of a melt going on. Grocery stores here are empty largely because their stock trucks couldn't make it. Hope this is soon just history for all.
ReplyDeleteYep, same here. And gas stations too. Luckily we filled up before the "crisis". Stay warm!
Deleteso sad! But I am so glad that you are doing alright, you are plenty clever with ways to get through this. I imagine a lot ofbirds have died, too. I guess they only know to migrate by time, and not by weather? I have been worrying about you.
ReplyDeleteThanks for your kindness Ginny.
DeleteBeing without power is no fun. We don’t get the poutages often, but the last time i was able to hang out at the neighbours who have a fireplace.
ReplyDeleteThat was nice!
DeleteStay safe
ReplyDeletetrying.
DeleteSo happy to hear you have gotten through the worst. I just can not imagine going through that. I hope you letter was received and taken seriously. It's time government starts worrying about the people they serve
ReplyDeleteWish in one hand...
DeleteWhat a nightmare!!!
ReplyDeleteIt was.
DeleteOh my goodness, I've been praying for all having to deal with this uncommon weather in your area. I'm glad you survived and hope this was the worst of it. Sorry you lost all of the food that you did. Love, hugs and prayers ~ FlowerLady
ReplyDeleteThis too shall pass...but, hope to have to never go thru it again.
DeleteOh Anni - what a terrible situation. I've seen some pics of TX and it's just crazy. Glad you are doing ok through it all.
ReplyDeleteCrazy indeed.
DeleteSo pleased to read you are ok, but my goodness!
ReplyDeleteWe have been following this on our UK news.
Take care and my very good wishes.
All the best Jan
Thanks Jan
DeleteI have been following the goings on in Texas and hoping for the best for those whose lives mean so much to me. You are one of them, dear Anni. Glad to hear you are hanging in there.
ReplyDeleteI guess you could say we're "Texas strong". Lol
DeleteGlad to hear that you are surviving! What a terrible outcome for the turtles. :-( Shame on Ted Cruz for trying to escape to Mexico. We've been keeping a close eye on our generator during these cold weeks. So far, so good when we hear the generator do a test run every Friday. Keep warm and think positive!
ReplyDeleteUpkeep is important for generators.
DeleteAnni, I sure hope you still have electricity, food, and water! Still very worried for you. My response to you earlier today on my blog when you said we should go to Cancun was that we shouldn't because Ted Cruz was there running away from the crisis. When I saw that interview when he came back today I almost went though my TV screen. What a back peddling piece of garbage he is! I just had to come back here and say so. Please post tomorrow even if just to say you are ok.
ReplyDeleteThat's Cruz...thing about it is...he told reporters he was there to just drop them off & returning the same day. When in fact his tickets said differently.
DeleteSo glad that you have electricity once again. Our furnace went out either last year or the year before and we were without our furnace during some of the coldest weather that year for at least a couple days, but I think three. And that was bad enough...but we had space heaters and all things electric. It would be hard to be without everything.
ReplyDeleteBreaks my heart about the sea turtles...
It was challenging...but, we made it thru the worst of it.
DeleteHello Anni,
ReplyDeleteI am glad you are ok, going without power and water is awful.. Too bad you could not take off for a warm place like Cancun. We have bought a generator after going through a few different times of a week without power and water. Our well pump is connected to the electric. It is very sad about the turtles. Take care and stay safe.
Thanks...any news of a new arrival?
DeleteAnni, I'm glad to see you back here with your usual spirit. I hope things come back to normal soon for you and for Texas.
ReplyDeleteThanks so much Nance
DeleteSending Positive Vibes And Warm Hugs - Thankfully, No Mosquitoes In Your Ear Hole
ReplyDeleteCheers
True.
DeleteNever heard of generator motors freezing! People in VT use them, without trouble. Wonder if southern generators, are not equipped for the cold????? Because VT certainly gets cold! Very interesting matter.
ReplyDeleteWhich is of no concern to you, of course. Just getting warm again, is paramount. Very glad you can!
Yes, they can freeze up.
DeleteOh- It is so sad all the way around, Anni! Just heartbreaking. I really thought about the elderly people who probably suffered more than anyone. At least here in the Midwest we are pretty well prepared for big winter storms.
ReplyDeleteThat is SOOO sad about the turtles. Heartbreaking!!! Diana
I just hope this was all a wake-up call.
DeleteSometimes, it seems Mother Nature just doesnt like us. Or could it be that she doesnt like what we have done to cause all this global warming climate changing stuff. Its sad and scary. Its human nature. Its also probably good science is exploring Mars and other places. Maybe this has all happened before somewhere else. I am so glad you are all right. I know, trust me I know, how tough it has been, and still is. Take care Annie.
ReplyDeleteWe definitely ticked her off.
Delete