As I type this post, I'm using my laptop...battery operated. Well, the ice storm and below freezing temps arrived! We had no power and no heat for nearly the whole day yesterday with temps hovering from 10-17 degrees F. I had on so many layers I was afraid to trip and fall as I wouldn't have been able to get up. The streets were covered with a layer of ice, the wind chill was in the single digits or in some cases below zero! Texas was declared an emergency state and the power companies have resorted to controlled grids [meaning only certain areas have power and then only for an hour or so before it goes off again! We were 'shut down' about 5:30 once again last night after about 2 hours' relief with heat, and as of 6 a.m., still no power!]I did go outside in the yard to survey the freeze damages on my plants and bushes that are planted in the ground [Bud and I brought in the potted plants several days ago]. I was out in the deep freeze for only a short time. The lawn crunched with each step!!! Everything was frozen and covered with a sheet of ice -the street view is ice covered- what I wouldn't give for a hot cup of hot chocolate and a warm bowl of oatmeal...








The funniest thing was a text from our daughter...she sent us a picture of Bud with BERNIE MITTENS!!!! I really do need to set up a go-fund me account for a generator!! [kidding]
Oh my goodness! I can't even imagine what you are going through with this historical winter weather you are having. I do hope you get power back on soon. Love, hugs and prayers ~ FlowerLady
ReplyDeleteThanks!
DeleteOh gosh, Anni!
ReplyDeleteYou are not used to these temperatures! We should have done with the cold for a week, but now spring is coming!
Stay warm, stay well!
Spring sounds like heaven to me!
DeleteMy thoughts & prayers are with you, Anni, and your whole state. The news coming out of Texas is horrifying. Love you~ Andrea xoxo
ReplyDeleteYour thoughts are appreciated
DeleteI was worried about you Anni.
ReplyDeleteEnough is enough already!
Pandemics and crazy weather and politicians!
Help!!! Give this country and world a break already.
Sending you positive thoughts.
Hope all is back to some kind of normalcy soon!
Hugs ☕
Weather & pandemics will pass...but sadly the bad politicians remain. Thanks Jan
DeleteI would not have believed the weather that you are experiencing. We have finally warmed up enough for our snow to turn to rain, and now the streets are flooded with so much sloppy snow and rain. And I do hope you will have decent warmth again soon, this is crazy!
ReplyDeleteIt was shocking.
DeleteI hope this doesn't last very long and that it all milk and the Sun comes back out I did see about the storm in the ice that I did not say how long it's supposed to last it's coming here today we woke up to 69 degrees and that was our high for the day and it's already down to almost 60 and it's going to keep dropping all day but we're only supposed to go to the low 50s. I do hope all your beautiful birds that you love so much and all the critters and all those places you walk are okay from all the ice and cold weather
ReplyDeleteHope Florida doesn't experience anything like this.
DeleteI was afraid that you were affected by this cold and damaging icy weather. Now you have confirmed my concerns. You folks are tough and can get through it but what a mess it must be. Mother Nature is on a rampage. (A stand-by generator like we have would have eased your worry about keeping warm - at least!) Hang in - it will be behind you all soon!
ReplyDeleteStill, we have heat today...I'm counting my blessings.
DeleteI was thinking about you all day yesterday as I saw and read about the situation in Texas. It's so scary! I sure hope you will at least get a couple hours of relief electricity soon and hope this crazy weather will pass quickly. Please try to keep us posted with updates.
ReplyDeleteThanks Martha
DeleteBeen wondering how you were doing and the news is pretty bleak. Entergy called me last night and said we had to conserve or also face rolling blackouts. I'm all bundled up and have the temp set low and lights off. It was negative 2 this morning and up to 5 degrees this AM. Couldn't get out my drive if I wanted. Half a foot of snow and more coming tonight. Still I am in the lap of luxury compared to what you are going through. Sure hope you get lights back on permanently and soon. Stay safe.
ReplyDeleteNegative two does not sit pretty in my book!
DeleteWhat a terrible scenario for you in TX! We've got a foot of snow on the ground here, but in OH, we're used to it. Your poor flowers and plants, they look miserable. I imagine the whole state feels the same shock. Fingers crossed that things get sorted soon.
ReplyDeleteThanks Nance.
DeleteTry to stay warm, Anni. I'm bundled up too with long johns, and both a fleece vest and fleece jacket over my pj's. We are having rolling black outs too... and are conserving energy also. Both my son here and my daughter in the hill country were without electricity for a while. And DH's brother in Houston is still without electricity. His inside temp has fallen to 47. It was -1 degree F early this morning here in Richardson (just outside Dallas). But hopefully the worst is over as the weatherman said we were at the lowest we will go... should only go up from here. Keep feeding those birds and outside critters and replacing their water!
ReplyDeleteWe Texans (even transplants) are strong!
DeleteI hope you do not lose many of your plants. Roses can be surprisingly tough, but succulents, not as much. I hope it is soon your turn for the power to be back on a bit.
ReplyDeleteFrozen, but most of them will "spring" back.
DeleteAnni, prayers going out to you and all my friends in Corpus, Rockport and Portland. It was a crisp -13 this am with winds of -22 We are not used to this cold now the hot water has frozen. Please pray our electric stays on, for Gator's health and our animals. Love n Hugs stay safe
ReplyDeleteGosh, I hope things improve soon. For all
DeleteBeing without power is no fun at all. Hope things get restored soon.
ReplyDeleteIt is okay now tho. Hopefully for good.
DeleteYour photos are lovely but having no heat is NO FUN! I sure hope it comes back on soon for you. Fingers and paws are crossed♥
ReplyDelete2 1/2 days!
DeleteWow, that's frigid...I sure hope you get the power back on again asap.
ReplyDeleteThose icy streets would be so scary to navigate.
Stay safe and I have a picture in my mind of you looking like the Michellin Man...don't fall in all those layers!!!
Sue
Ya, those slick streets are NO fun.
DeleteOh my goodness I know, your state is all over the news, as we are suffering too with temps reaching -25 overnight, and even my daughter in Madison. Alabama their pool is frozen ice and they had 13 degrees this morning. Unbelievable, but then we've been kicked in the butt before (all of 2020) we'll all survive this too! Take care, stay where it's warm.
ReplyDeleteThanks...hope it's warming some in your area too!
DeleteHi Anni came by to see how you and your two guys are doing? What horrible weather and cold and not power.
ReplyDeleteI have a friend in Florida..he awoke to 19 degrees this morning. He lives on the Gulf Coast so obviously getting the tail end of what you have had.
Here in NC we had 3" of rain from last Thursday to last night. Sun was out now more clouds moving in and precip up to 1 1/2 = 2" of something Thursday thur Friday
Hugs Cecilia
We're supposed to get another front tonight.
DeleteI am glad for your update, I had just been wondering how you are doing.I hope the government can send in Fema or maybe the Red Cross. Do you have an independent source of heat? I think not, as this has likely never happened in Texas!
ReplyDeleteIt was nasty, but we survived.
DeleteHere's hoping that you get your power restored soon! We got buried in snow yesterday into today. We've been digging out quite a bit. Stay warm and think positive!
ReplyDeleteOkay... I was positive it was COLD. lol
DeleteOh my goodness!
ReplyDeleteThinking of you, and everyone who has been affected by this.
Praying that your power can be restored as soon as possible.
Take care, and stay as warm as you can.
All the best Jan
PS Thanks for the photographs, hoping the flowers recover in time.
Thank you Jan
DeleteOh my word. I can't imagine those temperatures and no heat or power. It's really cold here and snowing right now but I've got the furnace to keep me toasty warm
ReplyDeleteYa, warmth woulda made it much more tolerable.
DeleteI am so sorry you have no heat or power! That has happened to us in the past and it is hard, especially being cold. We have ice here in KY, but still have power with more bad weather on the way. I hope you get some relief soon.
ReplyDeleteIt was better today
DeleteThat certainly is COLD, especially not being used to it. Hard to be without power on such a day. Hope it warms up!!!
ReplyDeleteIt will. And, I look forward to it.
DeleteI was wondering how you were doing! I'm sorry for no power and heat - I hate when that happens. Hope the sun comes out seen!
ReplyDelete2 1/2 days of no heat
DeleteI bet it shocker for those in your area. I hope you guys get some warmer temp and power goes back on.
ReplyDeleteCoffee is on and stay safe
Thanks Dora
DeleteTrusting you'll be well even in this tough time! How to function without power! Yikes. Blessings!
ReplyDeleteThanks. Nice to have you visit.
DeleteI kept wondering about you yesterday...but just did not make it here to check on you....I will be glad when things are back somewhat normal. It is MINUS 4 as I type this. I am thankful for heat.
ReplyDeleteIndeed...heat is wondrous
DeleteI was hoping to see an update this morning, I'm worried about you. The situation there looks so horrible. Please let us know how you are doing when you can. Sending positive thoughts, prayers and big warm hugs!
ReplyDeleteThanks Martha
DeleteWanted to let you know I'm still thinking about you, Anni, and praying for you. I pray you're safe. ~Andrea xoxo
ReplyDeleteThanks Andrea.
DeleteAll of us are hoping you are staying safe and as warm as possible. We await your update. Please describe your resourcefulness that was put to the test when times become better. It must be awful for you and so many others.
ReplyDeleteIt wasn't fun, but we made it.
DeleteOh wow! I have been reading all about the storm and the power outages in Texas and came over to see if you were okay. I hope you get your hot cup of hot chocolate and a warm bowl of oatmeal real soon. Love your daughter’s sense of humor. Stay safe and warm :) I will be checking in again tomorrow.
ReplyDeleteThe Bernie mittens DID help!
DeleteWe've been seeing a lot of Texas on the news lately! Stay safe and warm. We got a covering of ice a few days ago and when the sun was shining on it everything was sparkly like diamonds! Oh well, pretty but I'm over it already!
ReplyDeleteYep me too. I'm ready for Spring.
DeleteI'm so sorry you have to go through this, and I hope things are starting to thaw out now. 🙁
ReplyDeleteStill cold, but soon will warm up.
Delete