Dumplings Anyone?


Since we have had electricity for cooking, I've been craving comfort foods. I needed something that gave me a bit of happiness after this past week.  Even watching all these state-wide news briefings by our governor and electric big wigs, I remained dismayed at the whole world.  So.... One of Bud's favorite meals...I  made beef stew. Tho it's not really all that appealing to me, I do enjoy a good hot bowl of soup anytime of the year. And I pleased my man so it was all worth the effort. And kept my brain occupied without interruptions.  But before then, I made MY comfort food. And, naturally it's much more fatty and less healthy than stew, but oh such a treat. It's been YEARS since I've made it; from scratch, even tho most of my grocery supply has dwindled. And, yes, a favorite steamed veggie for me is brussel sprouts. So, two goodies in one meal. Yum.
 
A Very large Kettle is needed for stove-top recipe...
 
Stew chicken wings [I use 4] until the meat falls off the bone.  Remove all bone. Add de-boned chicken meat back to pot.
To the broth, add a quart of boxed [purchased] chicken broth and freshly ground black pepper... and bring to a boil.
Mix Bisquick© [dumpling recipe on box] and drop into boiling stew broth, lower heat to MEDium as to prevent scorching....cook uncovered for 15-18 minutes [depending on size of dumplings].  At the end of first cooking time, lower heat setting to LOW, cover, and cook 15-18 minutes.    Serve hot and steamy!!  Dumplings should be cooked thoroughly and dry in center,

54 comments:

  1. Hi Anni looks good. We have electricity issues all year round. And excuses with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anni! How wonderful that you and "your man" are getting back to your daily lives.
    Thank you so much for the recipe. We love chicken in our family and I haven't made dumplings in ages!
    Warmest Hugs Dear Annie ❤

    ReplyDelete
  3. i can't remember the last time i had dumplings, and I do love them. yours look yummy. mothers always made hers flat, but my aunt made them like yours. doesn't matter to me, bring on the yummy white flour.. my second downfall after sugar. i do hope your bad weather is gone by now

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can indulge a couple times a year.

      Delete
  4. I remember loving dumplings but it's been so long, I wish you could buy them but I guess you have to make them from scratch. Looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That look so good Anni and now I'm going to be craving some dumplings too - yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been thinking strongly about making another batch. 🙂

      Delete
  6. So glad you are able to cook again, Anni. You both deserve some "comfort foods" after what you've been through... and are still going through. I'm praying for everyone in Texas. ~Andrea xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum! I just made chicken and dumplings this week. So good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...I bet yours were very good too!

      Delete
  8. Brussel sprouts are my very favorite green vegetable! Next is broccoli then spinach. Dumplings not so much. I'll take beef stew any day. It sounds like you don't have a water supply problem. That's good! Glad you are enjoying some comfort!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just the opposite here. As I said, dumplings more than stew.

      Delete
  9. So happy you are back with the simple creature comforts like electricity and water. That has to make those comfort foods all the more delicious. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yummy! That must taste really good!
    Thanks for the recipe!
    Glad for you that you can resume your normal life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's slowly becoming normal again.

      Delete
  11. Sounds yummy. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am glad to see you are holding the line for the use of True Dumplings, not the "sliders."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes...these are the best dumplings in my opinion. Not pasty.

      Delete
  13. That meal looks wonderful, Anni. So glad you have electricity and water. I think the state will now realize that by not winterizing the systems, they made a huge mistake... and whatever money they saved by not doing it, was not worth the suffering, deaths, and cost of what it's going to take to fix things.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I’ve been wondering how it goes and have been listening and reading all about what's going on. Happy to hear you have electricity to cook those comfort foods. Brussels Sprouts are one of my faves :) and so is beef stew and now chicken and dumplings. And I love dumplings. Thank you for this recipe. I will be making it as it sounds so good.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yummmmmmmm - my mom used to make chicken and dumplings often when we were kids.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I grew up having this often also. I think I like it now just as much as I did back then.

      Delete
  16. Oh boy, oh boy these sound so simple and absolutely delicious.
    I need comfort food every now and then...mostly NOW...
    I hope things continue to get back to more normal for you and all those wonderful people in Texas.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems pretty good today. Lack of groceries on shelves, but I'm sure that will improve.

      Delete
  17. I’m so glad things are getting back to normal again for you! ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love stews and have bene making a lot. And this chicken & dumplings is making me drool! Easy, too, and more healthy than beef stew. I am making it!

    ReplyDelete
  19. My dear mum used to make the most wonderful dumplings ...yum!

    There are times when only comfort food will do!

    So pleased things seem to be slowly getting back to normal for you.

    My good wishes.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love stew. Brussels sprouts I can eat but only in small doses. Would you believe that I have NEVER made dumplings? I think I've only eaten them once.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm with Bud and like the stew best. :)
    Glad to hear things are getting back to normal again.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I have made these dumplings but it has been years and years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. After I had them, I told Bud to get ready for more soon.

      Delete
  23. A good stew is so tasty and it would be special served with dumplings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For me, the dumplings far better stew.

      Delete
  24. I love dumplings and it been ages since I had them.
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were tasty...like I was treating myself.

      Delete
  25. I haven't had dumplings like that in eons. Talk about comfort food! You certainly deserve whatever comfort you crave.

    ReplyDelete
  26. That does sound good! Sometimes you need comfort food and I would say this last 12 months qualifies! I would prefer the dumplings over the stew too! Goes along with my love of all things bread or pasta related!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thank goodness some else loves brussels sprouts! Yes, they can give flatulence, but cook them right and they are divine! And when you are low on gas supply, what better vegetable to serve?

    ReplyDelete

Table of Contents