The Big Eat....


For Thanksgiving, I don't do too much interior decorating. It's mostly cooking and baking involved...pies, dressing, salads, condiment dishes, turkey, cranberry sauce, sweet potaoes with marshmallow, yams, mashed potatoes and gravy, rolls, etc. This year, with the virus, there will be just the two of us, but that is not gonna stop me from celebrating the holiday. It'll just be toned down a bit. No big bird roasting [a small one]. No three pies for company [just one pumpkin pie]. No cooking fresh cranberries and making a waldorf salad, plus a jellied sauce [it'll be ocean spray, canned]. I will, however, make dressing from scratch. Neither of us likes sage nor do we care for cornbread dressing, so I will dry out the bread and go for it. And the one day we splurge and have all kinds of potato dishes, I will make greasy, unhealthy, gravy! One day a year...gotta have gravy on my mashed potatoes. Playing it safe because of this pandemic I went to the store and bought everything I need for it all. Just in case there is a shortage of things later on this month, I will have it stock-piled.

After packing away October's decorations, I brought out the few Autumn/Thanksgiving trinkets and polished wood, dusted furniture and mantle...I even ran the duster over all the walls in the house to rid of the tiny webs [shhhhh, don't repeat that in front of Bud, he has the illusion I keep a clean house], windexed all the glass table tops of the end tables, etc. It's nothing compared to what I put out for Halloween and Christmas, but we now know what season it is....



I have a collection of mini scarecrows, but decided to not bring them out. Only the one I crocheted years ago seen at the end of the following series of images...

39 comments:

  1. I'm not exactly sure what my Thanksgiving plans are. I know I'll work in the morning but after that it could be just me going home. All your menu items sound very good. My stomach is growling as I read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwww, alone? Drive here and join us!!

      Delete
  2. Hello,

    Your decorations are cute. Hubby and I are staying home this Thanksgiving, we do not feel safe just yet to join a crowd for dinner. Take care, enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really not safe to travel OR celebrate on large gatherings, I agree.

      Delete
  3. Your home looks absolutely beautiful. And I love all the things you took the pictures of. If you came in my house you would have no idea what season it was except during the month of December when I have that one little tree and that would be the only thing that would tell you that it was Christmas. Your meal sounds like what my mother used to make and what I made before the year 2006 well Bob made the turkey and I made all the rest of it. In 2006 the family all quit coming and it's just me and Bob so we've been eating out ever since then for all holidays but we won't be eating out this year's so it's probably going to be hot dogs or hamburgers and potato chips. About blogger swallowing your comment I've only been to three other blogs besides yours and two of them swallowed my comment while I was talking to it it just went poof and everything disappeared

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good ol' blogger! A lot of friends & family I know won't have Thanksgiving this year. I remember your climbing Santa last year!!

      Delete
  4. Love your knick-knacks! It's been more than 50 years, but my memories of Thanksgiving usually involved driving to Colorado and staying at a nice hotel. It was just mother, daddy and me. They both worked full-time, plus none of us was fond of turkey. He's been gone since '81, but I can still hear him say, "This year I think I'm going to be thankful for steak (or fill-in-the-blank)."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was over the river and through the woods to grandmother's house for us when I was young...and in Colorado no less.

      Delete
  5. Almost everyone I know is scaling down for Thanksgiving. Few if any family members. Your meal sounds perfect and I love your decorations. Had to smile about the walls. Amazing what can grow there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here in the subtropical, webs seem to grow overnight.

      Delete
  6. Cute decorations. I think I decorate more for Thanksgiving now that the kids have grown and moved away. Halloween used to be second only to Christmas but not now. [sigh] Wishing you well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to think I decorated FOR our kids. But all along I was wrong...I decorate for ME

      Delete
  7. Now remember! No lumps in the gravy. :-) I can't have Thanksgiving without sweet potatoes. But I do a crusty crumble top with brown sugar, flour and pecans. No marshmallows. Love the decorations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your topping sounds delicious. And, of course. No lumps.

      Delete
  8. Here with the pandemic, it will be just the 3 of us for Thanksgiving... but there will be turkey, stuffing, bourbon sweet potatoes, and green beans (and of course pie!). And we will try to Skype with the kids and grandkids during the day. But as you said, we will cut back from what we usually have when there are 12 of us. And like the election, it is what it is - and we just have to handle it the best we can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh boy...I like the sound of those potatoes!

      Delete
  9. With all that cleaning, I am beginning to feel like I should get away from the computer and do some cleaning. Your Thanksgiving meal sounds delicious .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Traditional meal to make our Thanksgiving real

      Delete
  10. Awwww... your house looks so festive, Anni! I love that little crocheted scarecrow most of all. That and the squirrel, of course! It will only be the 3 of us this Thanksgiving but it would have been that anyway, since it's not "our turn" to host the family's Thanksgiving this year... not that we would have, if it was. Yesterday I made a masked run to the grocery store & saw their bags of cranberries already out so I picked up a couple & put them in the freezer. I bought a can of pumpkin with my curbside Walmart order a few weeks ago, as well as a Butterball cajun turkey roll. So basically the only stuff I don't have are the fixings for the 7-layer salad, which is my personal favorite. Please be sure to take a picture of your wonderful Thanksgiving food and share it here... I'd love to see. ~Andrea xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty sure it'll be served on the counter & Tv trays with no dining room setting.

      Delete
  11. I love your Thanksgiving decorations. From September 1st till November 30th, it's all about pumpkins for me. Not sure about company or not for Thanksgiving dinner with COVID on the rise again :-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like decorating with pumpkins too...they create a "down home" sense of comfort.

      Delete
  12. For not going all out..I would say you really did.
    You have such lovely things for the Fall/Thanksgiving season.
    You reminded me that I have to get out my 2 indian figures for this year.
    We will have my son and his wife and the woman I care-give and her daughter for dinner. It won't be a big deal ..just simple with everyone pitching in...Simple...just the way I like it.
    Thank you for your lovely comments on my last blog post. I really appreciated them.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely nothing wrong with simple...no stress & good company.

      Delete
  13. I'm going to do the same thing for the eats but I'm making ours probably the weekend before Thanksgiving for the two of us. On the actual holiday I'm just making up platters for when the kids are here. It's just too much to try to do the whole Thanksgiving dinner while social distancing outside. Love all your cute decorations :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That, to me, sounds like a win, win way to go!

      Delete
  14. Wow, I have never seen glass acorns like this! I love ALL your decorations, they are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They aren't glass...hard plastic from Michaels.

      Delete
  15. I'll cook Thanksgiving dinner for two. The turkey breast is in the freezer and that is it for pre-shopping! Of course I have all other stuff too. The main thing is that we're already thankful for a comfortable and quiet life and that our family members are as well. I have a maple syrup glass bottle like yours but mine is full - ha ha! The cocheted scarecrow is a winner!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. It was nice to see all of your decorations here, they look great.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow that sounds like some Thanksgiving! I'm full just reading about it!!
    You have some really nice decorations. Favorite is the turkey.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love seeing your decorations...we don't decorate here or even have a fancy meal. We have a very simple life and love it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. That cute crocheted scarecrow is adorable! Your Thanksgiving feast sounds delish. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. It looks great! I love that gnome and those acorns!

    ReplyDelete
  21. It looks wonderful at your house! My favorite is that gorgeous velvet pumpkin.....
    Your dinner sounds amazing and maybe I best buy all my things pretty soon. No telling how things will be in a week or two.
    My sister is hosting as usual since we have been together a couple of times this year. Not a big crowd like we normally have and Deanie and Charlie will not be there since they are so fragil with underlying conditions. But the healthy members will be there and we will Facetime the others. Then we leave there in the afternoon and head back over to Dallas to have Thanksgiving Dinner that night with Amber and Mike and the family. It will be a wonderful day and I am going to cherish every single minute! We always watch a Christmas movie after dinner so Amber chose the new Christmas Chronicles 2 with Goldie Hawn and Kurt Russell. It's going to be fun!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love your decorations...we don't do a lot for Thanksgiving...things have slowed down for us. Sarah has been having it the past few years...and we do keep it simple.

    ReplyDelete

Table of Contents