Last Days of Summer...


I am always happy to see August disappear from the year's calender! Even tho September is a busy month for hurricanes forming in the Atlantic and Gulf of Mexico. For the most part, September is a 'cool down' month...more likely to have a chance of a cold front moving in from Canada, dropping this far south, and the air dries up a lot. No more suffocating humidity! I just hope the weathermen predictions for yet an active month of tropical storms does not come true. Keeping my fingers crossed. The Long Hot Summer is nearly over; the photos below were taken last month: Top two, Pollywog Ponds. Panoramic view, Leonabelle Birding Center.  The next two in the series:  A black bellied Whistling Duck in flight and a parched sunflower.  Next in the series....This is NOT rain, nor remnants of any storm...it's dew from the awful humidity and over-night dew points on the leaf!!  Last four:  A mockingbird and the red blossom shooting through the wooden slats on a boardwalk is called Turk's Cap, another sunflower and then, as the old wive's tale goes ---a cicada!  Which means rain is coming.  I'll keep you posted on that event [rain IS predicted!].  

44 comments:

  1. I think my favorite of all is the Turk's Cap. I have heard of them, but never seen one, not even in pictures. I love the colors in the Mockingbird photo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. of the turk's cap, I like the pink hybrids best.

      Delete
  2. i am tied for first place love with the marsh and the hisbicus fighting its way through the deck... all of them are so beautiful, those 2 speak to me most. we are still dying from heat here, record breaking heat every day this week, it is still 92 at time for sun to go down, can't even breather outside for the humidity... the past 4 days we got alerts from local news in my phone for dangerous heat indext from noon to 7 pm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've had way too many of those this summer

      Delete
  3. Love that panoramic view. Those are some big water droplets especially from dew.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heavy, heavy humidity. Usually the dew point is almost rain...like an Amazon rain forest where trees drip continually.

      Delete
  4. Lovely views. You seem to have more autumn colours already than we have here! (Sweden)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This area always has color change year 'round. I don't know why. A lot of the yelliws are cat tail stems.

      Delete
  5. Hello,

    Pretty views and all the flowers. Love the Whistling Duck in flight. Take care, enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're stealthy & silent. I almost missed it flying over me.

      Delete
  6. Such a gorgeous collection of photos! The leaf is my favorite out of this series. I sure hope it starts to cool down soon too, the heat has been unbearable the last two weeks. Have a fantastic weekend Anni :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is actually below 80° this morning...a first in weeks.

      Delete
  7. Love your pretty pictures. And wow that is a LOT of dew. You're not kidding that your humidity is over the top high. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There have been days it's dripping off trees like rain.

      Delete
  8. I cannot imagine so much dew! I love the leaf and the cicada photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's truly uncomfortable with heat mixed into the factor. (in fact it's miserable when it's high & a cold winter day)

      Delete
  9. Gorgeous photography...just beautiful!!!
    Each one tells a story.
    I hope the humidity gives way and you can cool down and breath easier.
    Hopefully the storms will stay away from land if they should develop.

    Have a Lovely Day 🍁☕🍂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It rained yesterday...cooled things down a bit.

      Delete
  10. Love that panoramic view and thought it would make a maddening jigsaw puzzle. We had a bunch of rain so it cooled down some and we have a cold front coming in next week I am looking forward to. Enough of this heat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh yes...indeed, a hair pulling puzzle!

      Delete
  11. Yes, I love September too and am always anxious to "get rid of" summer... my least favorite month. Happy Autumn, Anni! Love, Andrea xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Summers here are my least favorite too.

      Delete
  12. Very interesting pictures. I just don't know how I would handle that much heat and humidity . I guess to a degree, you get used to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. High humidity is NOT something you ever get acclimated to, in my opinion.

      Delete
  13. Love your new profile photo...nice to see you...
    I certainly hope that some "nice" rain comes to you.
    Love the photos of all the wildlife you captured.
    It is forecasted that tomorrow and Monday will see temps from 105F to 110F.
    UGH
    Think we will stay pretty much close to home.
    Hope we don't get any rolling blackouts...no AC would be awful!!
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. we had rain yesterday...a very welcome rain!

      Delete
  14. Your photos are fantastic. Love the dew on the leaf!! and the red bloom growing between the boards. Hope you get the rain and it cools things down for you. It was 48 degrees here this morning. Perfect walking weather!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well...48° sounds a bit too cold for me...in the 60's is best for mirning temps.

      Delete
  15. #3, #6, And #7....sure wish I had taken them! It means I would have been there...specially #3....I so love the looks of that place.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Super Fun Photos - Thank You

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hurray for September! My favorite month.

    I like the hibiscus finding a way to get through the deck. I love grit and the hibiscus has it with bells on.

    ReplyDelete
  18. yes, the hot and humid season will over soon....and, hope, the hurricanes are not coming anymore.
    Have a nice weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hurricane season ends in November.

      Delete
  19. September is always the "change" month here.. Its like a switch gets turned on and the humidity ends.. Have a wonderful Labor day...

    ReplyDelete
  20. Happy Labor Day Anni and thank you for another lovely post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks...I way behind in replying.

      Delete
  21. Your pictures are gorgeous. Today in my area it is as dark as a November day and the high will only reach 55 which is most unusual this early in September. Our next holiday will be second Sunday in October as we head for Thanksgiving .

    ReplyDelete

Table of Contents