The Happenings....


It's been kinda a busy week for me...besides out walking, visiting the aquarium, the botanical gardens, birding at parks, getting oil changed in the car [again?....time flies!!], some legal paper work updating with the lawyer, a couple of luncheons, being highly disappointed in the Houston Astros World Series so far, volunteering to help make pizzas for a kitchen, helping Bud do some yard work before the cold and wet front moved into our area....at least I helped until I tried to cut my thumb off with the hedger! And then, most of all, working on resizing hundreds of photos for the week off the camera card to get uploaded on my blog!!

So, this will be a bit eclectic in composition today while I continue getting the botanical and bird photos of the aquarium in order...hang in there. Some are what made me quite opinionated, while others are of a fun nature [at least I hope]....

...first: over kill [click on images to open up lightbox slideshow, enlarging them].

Y'all know that Halloween is my favorite fall 'holiday'. But when I drove by this home in the King's Crossing area of town the other day, I had to pull off the road and take photos. Just to see if you agree with me. There is no rhyme or reason to this themed yard!! Dozens of hot air figures swaying in the breeze making it eerie even in daylight, but too much with no reason of placement...just a Halloween NIGHTMARE!!! Agree?


....second: A church's pumpkin patch. I like the white pumpkins and within the last decade I've seen quite a few 'turquoise green' pumpkins. Did you know that there is a purpose of placing this color pumpkin out so trick or treaters will know you have allergy free treats for them? Here is the explanation:
    Placing a teal pumpkin on your doorstep or at the front of your home is the first step. You can add your location to the Teal Pumpkin Project map to let trick-or-treaters know your stop is food-allergen safe. Recommended non-food treats include small containers of bubbles, spider rings, glow sticks, pencils, stickers or finger puppets. And if you do participate in the Teal Pumpkin Project, that doesn’t mean you can’t also provide traditional treats as well. If you do provide both non-food and candy treats, FARE recommends asking trick-or-treaters if they have a food allergy or just give each child the option to choose which kind of treat he or she would like.





....third:
A couple of funnies. My sister texted me that she and a friend went to a scarecrow festival in her town in Colorado. She attached a photo telling me that she thought of me right away and couldn't resist getting a photo of the 'crow. [notice the bird on the scarecrow's right shoulder?] I thought it was a HOOT!  And besides, it's much better dressed than I am when out birding!!

"birdwatcher scarecrow" -on the sign

Now, my photo taken...I couldn't resist this. The implication was funny. Sorry, I couldn't get a selfie of it and stand behind the sign at the same time!! But, you should be able to get the gist of it all!!!!




...and lastly. If you're not into the grossness of blood and injuries skip this!!!! The blades on the hedger caught my thumb when I accidentally hit the trigger when attempting to move it from where I was working....it lodged in the thumb, cutting a good slice before I lifted my hand from the power button. I worked my thumb loose and rushed indoors with Bud right behind me. We 'doctored my owie" and I called it a day while I sat outdoors on the patio bench and watched him finish the work. This photo is actually a cleaner version of the initial photo where the hand was much more bloody.  Bud made me a thumb splint 'cause for the past few days since it happened, you don't know how many times I've hit it on something and the pain is there again!!  The wound is healing nicely and hopefully no or little scarring.  So far, no infection.  I probably should have gone and got stitches, but I just didn't want to. 









30 comments:

  1. Hello, Wow, your "owie" accident could have been awful. I am glad it is healing nicely. I love the pumpkin patch and Halloween decorations. Enjoy your day, wishing you a happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Guess I'm the only one to think the decorations are "too much".

      Delete
  2. Ouch!! Hoe your thumb is healing well!! I do enjoy the fall holidays, too!! That is, indeed, a handsome scarecrow,, wishing you well and happy weekend!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have a great weekend too Cathy. And thanks.

      Delete
  3. Love the scarecrow pictures and winced over your thumb. It does look to be healing well, but still! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That birde scarecrow, I like it a whole lot!

      Delete
  4. Hi Anni great post,wow look at the size of that pumpkin and ouch hope your fingers heals quickly,thankyou for popping over to my blog and commenting,it was most appreciated my friend xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sheryl. I'm glad you came for a visit!

      Delete
  5. Love the idea of non-food treats. If there were kids in my area, I'd go there. OUCH on the thumb. Just keep an eye on it for infection. Amazing when you hurt a finger, just how many times a day you need it. Opposable thumbs do set us apart from most of the other critters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We get very few here. Most kids go to malls, churches, etc. to do their parading. Much safer that way.

      Delete
  6. owie owie owie... my hubby never gets stiches and it always heals. I don't need stitches because I touch nothing that can harm me. the big old Catastrophizer will not let me... it looks like it should be ok, and good job protecting it while it heals. yet again you have given me a POST. wait til you hear it... I am thinking I would not like to see the whole yard of this house and it is overkill. but I have to say by you shooting pieces of it in the dappled sunshine, some of it is beautiful while ugly. I am not a fan of blow up decorations, but the one of the bench/skull is really nice... the bench is the star. to funny your found a birdwatcher scarecrow.... you should be really tired today after all tat work

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't like them either. More traditional, hand crafted, or none at all are best.

      Delete
  7. YOW, I bet that hurt when it happened!! Looks like you almost cut a chunk off the top! Phil wants a chainsaw for Christmas, and this is why I do not want him to have one!! I love the cool scarecrows!! I totally agree about the first house! The ghost does NOT belong with the clown! I wonder if they just bought what was the cheapest?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was real close to cutting all the way thru!

      Delete
  8. Ouch! Take care of that owie.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, I agree, that first place is a little bit too much. I like the scarecrow.
    That cut looks like it really hurt. I do know exactly how many times you hit it before you got the splint on it. I cut myself pretty bad at work one time and until it healed I was constantly hitting that finder on something. It kept breaking it back open for the first couple days too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohhhh, I imagine that breaking open over & over hurt each time!

      Delete
  10. That looks sore! As for decorations, those look like a big mess! Less is more!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I do like the Bird Watcher scarecrow, but some of the other far-out decorations I would rather do without. Talk about "Sticking out like a sore thumb!" Ouch! You are going to feel this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, do without...too much. Lol on the sticking out like a sore thumb.

      Delete
  12. OW! Made my old and very serious hand injury from 1980 actually ache when I saw yours! I don't understand the overkill of "spooky" yard decorations, but to each his/her own I guess. Teal pumpkins for food allergy alerts and blue pumpkins to help understand autistic children is a very good thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the colored pumpkin concepts

      Delete
  13. Wow that is serious damage to your thumb. If you didn't really want to help you should have just said so!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That,is a thought....but, too late for me.

      Delete
  14. Hope your thumb is healing! Love all of your pumpkin and autumn photos.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You have so much energy. Don't know how you manage to do so much in a day. Loved reading this post, and the picture of the scarecrow, and am hoping your thumb heals up real fast.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ouch! Sorry you had this accident. The other photos are cute. Thank you for mentioning food allergies. Many people don't realize that sometimes children die from food allergies, especially peanuts.

    ReplyDelete

Table of Contents