You're Gonna Rise Up Singing....


If I'd known you were coming, I'd have baked a cake!!




Oh wait a minute.....I DID bake you a cake! I call it Mandarin Dream.



I followed the box instructions, but instead of the cup of water it calls for, I substituted the fruit juice from the canned mandarin oranges and 1/2 the oranges [whipped into the mix as I combined all eggs, oil, and juice]. The other half or the orange slices were set aside [mashed coarsely] for topping with the cool whip 'icing'. Chilled, and served cold. Easy!!! And, delicious if you like these oranges. It makes a good, tasty summer treat at the end of your meal.


_ _ _ _ _

And....While the cake was in the oven, baking, I got out my sketch pad and drew a simple outline of a palm tree...wishing I was on the beach at the moment! I then filled it in a bit and drew the fronds on the tree, scratched in the water lines a little and shaded the rocks on the horizon, and the small sail craft...finishing in no time. Speaking of art....last week I watched a program on Texas Country Reporter, and they had an artist show-cased.  His work was amazing.  I'm gonna try and copy his idea of painting sometime.  I need to find a framed work, so I can tear it out of the frame and do to it what he did. [of course his paintings were his original...I'm gonna be lazy and find one already painted by someone else.]  I will begin looking for something that would be an ideal piece of art soon.  And begin.  I may not like what I DO...so, I may not show it to anyone.  LOL




All the while I was sketching, Bud was in the garage at his work bench adding extensions to our puzzle table. We use our dining room chairs at the table, and when we go in to work on the puzzle[s] our legs hit the bottom of the table bottom....we need to "lift the table up" a bit. Giving us more leg room. It worked like a charm. We are working on a Thomas Kinkade "The Lion King" right now. We recently finished another of his art....I like his best of all...small in dimensions, challenging, and takes us a while to do one. [those that are too easy, with large pieces gives us no stimulation!]

_ _ _ _ _


I'll end my post today with this "note"....

Summertime and the Livin' is Easy....





Fish are jumpin' and the cotton is high
Oh, your daddy's rich and your ma is good-lookin'
So hush, little baby, don't you cry
One of these mornings you're gonna rise up singing
And you'll spread your wings and you'll take to the sky
But till that morning, there ain't nothin' can harm you
With daddy and mammy standin' by


~George Gershwin
circa 1934

14 comments:

  1. Good looking cake and I'll bet it was D-licious! Your sketch is delightful. I'm on the edge of my chair waiting to see the teaser project of painting you are describing. Please show it, whether good or bad. Now I'm going to be humming "Summertime" all day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It'll be quite a while, I'm sure, before I find something to experiment with. Yes, the cake was very good...and, thanks.

      Delete
  2. I am an orange freak so that cake looked just right. Aren't you talented. Photog supreme and artist to boot. Way to go.
    Always loved Summertime though always wished my Daddy had been rich but he was good looking so I guess that counts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My father was quite dapper in his younger days...but never monetarily rich. Oh, me too...love orange flavors (and the fruit). In fact, all citrus. Thanks Patti.

      Delete
  3. The cake looks wonderful, Anni. And I'm halfway through Where the Red Fern Grows. It's beautifully written and I love those two dogs. I know it will have a lot of tears, though. You warned me. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you're enjoying the book D J!!!

      Delete
  4. I love the summertime song, and have sung it to many babies. Your sketch is so lovely! Beautiful detail. It just amazes me that you can knock out something like this so fast!! The cake looks so refreshing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks...
      That cake is really good on a hot summer day...served cold.

      Delete
  5. The cake sounds perfect for summer! I love the sketch too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for that cake recipe! Perfect for these summer days! I can't wait to see what your plan is for art! I used to record the Country Reporter - such a great show. He started out as 4 Country Reporter on channel 4 here in Dallas. And he was the voice for Dairy Queen - so Texas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoy watching that program...when I remember to have the tv on. Lol

      Delete
  7. You are such and artist!

    ReplyDelete

Table of Contents