A Week at Anni's....


It's been a long week. Hot, hot, and more hot. I can empathize with the Europeans who are also dealing with the sweltering summer!! [Germany, England, France, Poland and more have dealt with 100 degree temps!]

So, nothing much in the way of going out for my daily walks. Why? Read my opening statement again if necessary.

After my housework is done, I sit and read some. I happened to find a first edition of a book I read as a teenager. I loved the book. The story, tho so very sad and I bawled when I first read it, is also heart warming if you ever experienced the love of a pet. Dogs in particular. I bought it, brought it home and cried again...the story all came back to me like I was reading it in Junior High as a required read for literature....just the first chapter. I'm nearly half way through it, but oh...I tellya, it's now gonna find a special place in our library. When it's done, it will go on the shelf of 'don't trade this in'!!!




There is a Native American Legend about the red fern...if you're interested, do a google search.


- - - -


And, with the heat, when I was out working in the rock garden, pulling weeds this week, my head was sweating so much, it was dripping off my forehead and chin just minutes after I began. And that did it....after the chore was done, I went in and showered, and drove to my hair stylist, and when I got in the chair, I told her...."Shave it!!" "I want it cut to where I'm nearly bald!" She said, "Too hot for you these days is it?" "YES!"

After she draped me with the cover up, I said: "With the young girls, I've seen so many with the undercut." "Keep it long on top, trim it on top, but use the closest shave underneath and around my ears!"

This is the result. I like it.



Bud likes it, the kids like the punk granny style.  The neighbors like it too.  I've even had people at the grocery store I frequent take notice, and they like the cut. But, my sister said: "All you need now is a tattoo and you'll be just like all of 'em!" lol


_ _ _ _


Photos from this week.  The pics are taken on different mornings; sunrise that wasn't all that exciting except for the jet contrail, sunflower, some odd plant I don't know but it reminded me of the 4th of July firework bursting in the night sky [3rd image in this series], a gas lantern at the birding center entrance, wildflower on the river bank and a new mamma [you can tell she is still nursing a fawn], and my favorite 'find' at the nature center....a dollar bill someone dropped into the swamp....no way would I reach down and come back with no hand with the hidden alligators in there!!!!!







Driving along the islands, stopping in Port A, I most always check out the beach and jetty. Well, on this particular day, there were NO ships coming into the channel. One lone cargo ship was way out beyond...as I walked I couldn't help myself snapping the pelican silhouette with the ship in the backdrop....this is with the zoom lens...that ship is NOT as close as it looks....probably two miles out to sea. And I love the colors of the beach umbrellas. That about sums up the past few days for me. Quiet times in Corpus.

30 comments:

  1. I love your haircut, it is hip and modern. What a lovely surprise; a header painted by you! It is lovely and lifelike. The Pelican on the rocks and ship picture is amazing to me, kind of magical! For one thing, the ship looks almost right there, so close! The pelican looks like he is waiting to bard the ship. It is huge. And you also captured the birds in flight overhead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like your thought of the pelican hitching a ride on the ship. My thought as I viewed it through the lens was ...what is he thinking. Now, I know.

      Delete
  2. I like the haircut. I bet you feel much cooler.
    I think I would have skipped reaching for thad dollar too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My hair is so thick & heavy, I am pleased to have some of its weight off my neck & I can feel some AIR! Lol

      Delete
  3. I also love your new haircut. And the picture is quite lovely. No doubt that pelican is thinking about the ship. I went and put a hold on that book in my library. All copies are in use right now, can you imagine that? Someone else loves that book. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I think you'll enjoy the book. It's easy to read...but, have tissues nearby

      Delete
  4. I love the hair cut and have truly been considering that same thing. ha ha on the tattoo. a few of the things i am wearing right now came out of the Jr dept and when i wear them i wonder if anyone is making snide remarks about the granny in teen duds. the hair would make it better, maybe we could try the stick on easy to remove tattoo.
    i love the umbrealla shot and now have been trying to decide if A. someone dropped the dollar and was afraid to retrieve it B. did they put it there to see if anyone would be brave and grab it C. did a big fat gator but it there for bait? loved every photo you posted today. Very interesting post today... even picturing the sweat dripping off your face. we to are hot hot hot. almost forgot. i cried through the books Old Yeller and Cujo and am sure i would cry through this one. also cried in every movie i ever watched about dogs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'd look real cute in the undercut, I think. And me too...I love all animal stories.

      Delete
  5. forgot when i was about 15 i read Lassie Come home, my dad found me in the living room with tears rolling down my face and asked what was wrong, when i told him he got really angry that i was crying over a story about a dog. of course he was not a dog/cat lover, so had no idea. one of our DISCUSSIONS that we had many times, was he did not belienve pets go to heaven. OH YES they do was my side of it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My dad was an animal lover (all of 'em). That's probably where I got it. In fact one summer my brother took a sling shot to a yard bird and my father came unglued & grounded him the entire remaining summer!

      Delete
    2. I came back to say, i will check the library on the Red Fern. it is not in Kindle unlimted. My mother was the animal lover, and my brother and i were to. my dad was a bird hunter, as in to EAT... we made such a fuss over the tiny sweet birds mother cooked, he stopped bringng them home, gave them to his brother. my brother got a sling shot for a gift. he aimed it at a small bird and accidently hit and killed it. he fell apart, crying hysterically, he was about 9 i think.. he never aimed it at a living thing again...

      Delete
    3. That would be traumatic at that age.

      Delete
  6. Could your mysterious plant be an Elderberry? It looks similar to ours. You're cutting your hair and I'm growing mine - I can always pin it up when hot. What a wonderful painting you have as your new header! AND your weekly photos shown today are very enjoyable, VERY!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Regarding the plant. I haven't the faintest idea, & too lazy to Google. Lol

      Delete
  7. I read that book years ago and loved it. May have to give it another shot. Cool hair cut. Like you, I want it off my neck also. That looks carefree--just right for summer.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the haircut. You obviously can do this. I don't have enough hair for something lie this.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Anni, so good to be catching up with you. Your new hair-do looks very nice and perfect for the heat. I need to do something about mine. I will look up the book and the legend. My curiosity is definitely peaked. Your photos are wonderful and I particularly loved the one with the pelican and the ship in the background, though they are all very enjoyable shots. Have a great weekend and I look forward to revisiting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Denise! It's good to welcome you back.

      Delete
  10. p.s. almost forgot to say I do love your header painting!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Not sure where to begin...I love Where the Red Fern Grows. I don't want to forget to say that. I like your new hair cut. It is not 100 here, but the heat sure gets to me. I mowed the yard the other day...picture very small yard. It is one lot, a corner lot. So do have more to mow than just a city lot. But I worked all afternoon, and still had two spots on the outside of the sidewalk to mow the next morn. I think I am going to find someone to mow...

    ReplyDelete
  12. I always love stop in for bit, and thank you for sharing my life.
    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am happy to have you visit Dora.

      Delete
  13. I remember reading that book when I was young - should read it again.
    Cute haircut! I see the fireworks in that plant too. You got some great photos!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great shots. Love your hairstyle!

    ReplyDelete

Table of Contents