A few weeks back I mentioned a couple of books; one I had read and the other what I had planned on reading. I had thought when I read the publisher's synopsis this would be a good historical fiction on our first president and his first true love [before he married Martha]. I must be honest. The novel was a huge struggle to complete. The author, in my opinion turned it into a romance fantasy. She wrote more about Mary's dimples on her right cheek and then on her left cheek more times than I care to mention. Chapter after chapter the General [Washington] was thinking about and checking out her dimples!!! What does that have to do with making a book worthy of reading? Just not my style. She went into more depth of powdered wigs and secret meetings and dances, and Mary's struggles of being a woman of value to her family and self esteem than that of the general facts of historic value. A big disappointment. Gone With the Wind it's not!!!! Sure, there was Rhett and Scarlet and the scandalous life-styles, but Mitchell at least told the story of the Civil War.
Well, let me tell you....I was so wanting to stop reading it, and yet, I kept thinking that it's GOT to get BETTER. Sometimes I was ready to close it and just trade it in at the used book store...instead, this is what I ended up doing. When frustration set in, I took out my sketch book. It was coming up on St. Pat's Day and I thought it'd be fun to sketch a leprechaun. It's taken me a few weeks to get it done, but I'm satisfied. While drawing, I was completely able to forget the disaster between the book covers...


Bud and I are both of Irish blood - me 1/2 Irish and Bud is something like...his British ancestors jumped the Irish picket fence once or twice. Speaking of Irish and Leprechauns...My little Irish Lass [Irene] turns FIFTY on April Fools Day

She is 18 in this photo.
I hate it when authors do stuff like that. I read a mystery once where every chapter went into great detail about what the characters had at each meal of the day. I couldn't understand what that had to do with the story line at all.
ReplyDeleteLove the leprechaun. That's some wild and crazy hair he has :)
That was no joke you got on April fools day. Happy Birthdy to Irene on 4/1
OBGYN predicted a boy! Wrong! April Fools!
DeleteThat's one beautiful April Fools Day gift. :) I love the 'jumped the Irish picket fence' line. Writer's are taught to describe, describe, describe, but sometimes writers take the directive too seriously. Believe I will skip that book!
ReplyDeleteI think you're the only one who understood!
DeleteOh, and the drawing is amazing!
ReplyDeleteThanks
DeleteWell, that's a book I can skip. Irene's picture is stunning. Your leprechaun is really, um, cute! :-)
ReplyDeleteI was going for 'toonish, but I like funny!
DeleteThanks for the book report. Your sketch art is very skillful! Superb results! Does he have a name? How about Wacky? or Wooly?
ReplyDeleteNo name. How 'bout Brillo? Lol
DeleteI say bravo to you for marching on to finish that book. Whew. On Cold Mountain was like that for me. The author is an NC native so I really wanted to read it but my word the first 5 or so pages were about what he saw out of one window. I could not go on.
ReplyDeleteI did enjoy the movie.
Happy 50th to your beautiful Irene.
Hugs Cecilia
I saw the movie, but never read the book.
DeleteI admire you for hanging in to slug through the book. My theory is that there are so many books and so little time that if one becomes a struggle, we are done. It rarely happens but when it does, I am quick to quit. Think I will pass on George and Mary. Thanks.
ReplyDeleteLove your Leprechaun.
Thing is we buy our books...never check them out from library, so I figure I should get at least SOME of the money invested ...lol
Deletewhat a day to be born on. my brother should have been, he loves April fools jokes and used to drive me nuts playing them on me all day long. happy Birthday to Irene. LOVE your little leprechaun. yes, I am jealous of how you can sketch... I would have put the book down after the first half hour.
ReplyDeleteWell...it started good, but went down hill quickly. I shoulda threw it the trash.
DeleteWOW, this is amazing. YOU are amazing!! You are such a talented artist! You should be making money from this. I love it! This is your daughter? She is beautiful!
ReplyDeleteYes, that's our daughter.
DeleteIt never to late to catch a leprechauns. Your lady of many talents.
ReplyDeleteCoffee is on
Thanks Dora
DeleteIrene is beautiful!
ReplyDeleteYou are sooo talented. I love that leprechaun!
Thanks Mari
DeleteBack in the day to break myself free of a book I hated but couldn't quit I threw it into the corner of the bedroom and that worked great. Once I got married I had to quit that after a few times because it scared the bejesus out of the wife and her dogs. Still I try and quit books I don't like but sometimes I find it hard because I like the characters.
ReplyDeleteYou have amazing drawing skillz!!
Well, I've been tempted to throw the computer. Lol
DeleteThanks Yogi
Your sketches are awesome!
ReplyDeleteThanks Rose.
Delete