Ahoy, Matey!!!





On any given day I plan to go to Rockport Texas and walk their beach park, I leave in the dark hours of the morning, way before sunrise. Mainly ‘cause there is one section of highway that has a dangerous curve near Aransas Pass! If it’s timed wrong, the sun, as it begins to rise above the horizon, it’s right smack dab in your eyes…and it’s blinding even with sunglasses and the visor pulled down!!! The curve is right there…so, I make sure I’m past that area and heading north BEFORE the sun appears. So, on this day, I arrive at the beach park just as the sunrise begins, and I’m preparing my gear from the trunk to start my walking. At this park, I can easily get my 10000 steps in…it’s a large park. Bays, inlets, beaches that are lined with several thatch-roofed cabanas, park roads, pavilions, picnic areas, and a few miles of curves and stops to see the wildlife. As I begin my trek in search of migrant birds, I get out and don my binoculars, camera and jacket …the wind is blowing and it's a bit nippy!! This area is well-known to have many, many, different species that come to breed and raise their broods for Spring and into the early Summer seasons each year; at or near the rookeries. Come, walk with me….

At the beginning of the park, there is a parking lot for those that want exercise, or, your choice to enter the park by paying a fee, and driving in with your BBQ and picnic gear. I've done both, but when I'm alone, I park in the lot and walk the entire area on foot. My first stop is the boat launch. This is an ideal spot to make use of the binoculars [or scope] to look beyond the bay's inlet over to the rookery. For the main part, there are egrets, spoonbills, herons, gulls, and pelicans on this island. Today, mostly spoonbills and herons were spotted. As I leave this section of park, I can hear the seagulls....hundreds...courting and calling their sweethearts or making a ruckus defending their territorial space for nesting. By mid April to early May the grasses will have grown, and the nestlings will cover the cordoned off section of park!!! And, if I think it's loud now...if I return in mid May, the volume of bird calls will deafen any chance of hearing someone talk.  Even when they're standing right next to you!!!

The Rookery at a distance:



Acres of Seagulls, but I show you two with a courtship ritual [or perhaps a fight of territorial rights]. With the stance of the lone seagull with wings spread open, I'd say it's part of their courtship since this is how it begins. Dozens of times I've seen gulls with a foot missing and I surmised it was from a close encounter with a boating accident or tangling with fish line. But seeing this action with the one gull chewing the other's leg/foot [last photo in the sequence], I'm wondering now if this is an habitual, 'natural' occurrence:



Around the bend between the inlet and the channel that goes out into the bay and eventually, the Gulf of Mexico, I round the corner and find about a dozen Black Skimmers keeping out of the wind. Turning yet farther, this time heading in a southerly direction, the dried up tidal basin is completely filled with terns and hundreds more skimmers. All take flight, only to circle around and put out their landing gear and come back in to soak up the warmth of the sand!!


After the migratory section, I direct my walk to the beach. Here, I see pelicans - both white and brown, some terns hunting the water for breakfast and gulls cleaning up the beach of tidbits from people, littering. I see through the clear water as the surf drums along the shore, snail shells with hermit crabs and fish, Between the beach, bay and park trails, you see more cabanas, palm trees, and playground equipment. The pirate ship is a new feature since the hurricane....




36 comments:

  1. What an awesome place for an early morning walk. I would love to find one of those spoonbills in front of my camera. Maybe one day. Thank you for taking us along on your walk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That bird is worth waitng for (one of my favorites)

      Delete
  2. Quadruple WOW!!!!! I would love to tag along on your birding and all photo sessions.
    The migratory area views must be breathtaking.
    Hugs Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The numbers of birds are startling!

      Delete
  3. Nice panoramas! Don't fish sometimes bite off a gull's leg? This is a very nice trek in the park! I do enjoy your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. my favorites today are the two panorama shots. so many birds in one spot. wow... I have seen these antics by gulls and they get really LOUD and sometimes fight over food is amazing to see.. I can see by the photos there will be baby gulls soon. ha ha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ....and that's just a partial view. The congegation extends far beyond the viewfinder!

      Delete
  5. Goodness those gulls play rough. Such beautiful captures and what an abundance of birds. Think my head would be on a swivel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you think this is a lot of birds...return when they hatch!!

      Delete
  6. Your outings are so interesting, but wear me out. Wish I had some of your energy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always enjoy this little town here, on the coast. Makes walking less of a "chore".

      Delete
  7. Hello, looks like a wonderful place to walk. Great bird sightings. I love the Spoonbills and Skimmers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spoonbills are one of my favorites too.

      Delete
  8. I love this pirate ship! Is it for kids to play on, or is it hands off? And the gulls black heads! What kind of gulls are these? You think the males chew each other's feet off while fighting for a female? Love that lone bird flying above the buildings while all the others are on the beach. Looks like the blue egret is on a nest! Your first sunrise shots are glorious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure there are fights for territory & mates! Yes, the herons are nesting. The gulls with black heads are laughing gulls. And yes, the pirate ship is for kids.

      Delete
  9. What an awesome place to get your steps in.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I sure enjoy seeing where you get your steps in. Those spoonbills are so pretty! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a good place for me. The Birder!!

      Delete
  11. What a way to begin a day! I would so enjoy seeing all these birds and just being there. The sunrise shots are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. WOW! I'm not sure just how much walking I would get in at a place like that.Great pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've heard of spoonbills but I'm not at quintet with them.
    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you mean acquainted? It took me a while on that...you were testing me, right? 😁

      Delete
  14. you are an early bird Anni. I love that. It is a beatiful place with great wildlife. I miss that. Wildlife is scarce nowadays where I live and I can´t afford to travel any more. So, I envy you my friend :) That is one of the reasons why I started to paint. I needed something new to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think painting is a GREAT hobby!

      Delete
  15. Your pre dawn routine ensures you see the best of the best and of course that means so do we. Great photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, that's very kind of you to say this!

      Delete
  16. What a fantastic place to visit and your photos are great. Wish I could spend some time watching all those birds!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're so numerous, and loud. Lol

      Delete

Table of Contents