A Craft, A Beauty, and a Beast


Even with Isaiah in our life, I wanted to bring out something for Valentine's Day. But, most of what I have on hand, in storage, is a bit too dangerous for a young cat. So, off to Dollar Tree I went. I bought a small -very small- teddy bear they had in their holiday displays and a small metal tin mail box with a Valentine's Day theme going, some pink artificial tulips. When I got home, Bud went right to work on making a mail box post Once he had it put together on a wooden stand, I painted it. This is the result. Not the best, but the best I could do on such a quick project. I do know I will have to keep my eye on our kitty with the pink and red heart table scatter. So far, he's left it alone. I'm hoping that will continue...









- - - -



I believe I mentioned a couple weeks ago, that Bud and I watched the 'human version' of Disney's Beauty and the Beast, with Emma Watson. It's one of my favorites. Anyway, after the movie it was bedtime for me, and the following morning I had to look it up on Google to see who wrote the original story, 'cause I had no idea. And to my surprise, it was written by a French woman author....get this....in 1740!!!
    From Wikipedia: Beauty and the Beast (French: La Belle et la BĂȘte) is a fairy tale written by French novelist Gabrielle-Suzanne Barbot de Villeneuve and published in 1740 in La Jeune AmĂ©ricaine et les contes marins (The Young American and Marine Tales). Her lengthy version was abridged, rewritten, and published first by Jeanne-Marie Leprince de Beaumont in 1756 in Magasin des enfants] (Children's Collection) and by Andrew Lang in the Blue Fairy Book of his Fairy Book series in 1889, to produce the version(s) most commonly retold.
Of course, I had to order the original story from Amazon.  It was delivered last week, and I am now reading it.  It's amazing how different it is than the versions of today [in movies].  Tho, a bit of a challenge reading it, I'm getting along pretty well...but the broken English from the translation is somewhat 'stuttering' for me...in other words, I have to stop and re-read some sections to get the correct gist of it all.  If you want to learn the 'real' story, I suggest you find a copy of the original, and be on the road to a surprise story.  I haven't finished it  yet...but, it's keeping my attention...


- - - -


Now, I'll close with MY Beauty





...and the Beast



22 comments:

  1. I love what you did with the dollar store finds. So cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ann. Knowing what you create makes me feel good with your approval.

      Delete
  2. Hello, I like all your pretty Valentine's decorations. All the beauties and beast are great photos. Wishing you a happy Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Have a great Wednesday yourself, Eileen.

      Delete
  3. I didn't know that about the story. I'll try to find that book at the library and read it. And I too love your pretty Valentine originals. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's different for sure. Thanks D J

      Delete
  4. your valentine vignette is really pretty and so creative and all from a dollar store. hope Isaiah doesn't get into the rocks. I vaguely remember Beauty and the Beast in one of my childhood fairy tale books. had no idea it was written so very many years ago

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me either...all I ever knew was the modern day versions.

      Delete
  5. creative project and beautiful results..
    I love the flower with violet color of your photo.
    have a great day

    ReplyDelete
  6. The version I read over and over during my childhood was by The Brothers Grimm. Fairy tale reading was my life for a couple of years after a serious foot and leg infection. Nice Valentine display. You are so creative during different holidays! Now Isaiah's safety is a newer factor in your wonderful decorations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya, I spoke too soon tho, he found 'em this morning and batting them off the table!

      Delete
  7. A perfect post! I am totally in love with your Valentine craft, it is awesome!! You have the best ideas. Now I am wondering what to use as a stand if I go and buy the same items. It really is brilliant. Anyway, I have saved your picture of it. I had no idea about Beauty & The Beast! Our middle granddaughter loved the movie, but cannot pronounce it so well, and calls it "Booty & The Beast". Your beauties are gorgeous! the bee is my favorite. What are the blue flowers?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The flower is a bush in our yard...it's called DURANTA. And for the mail box post Bud used a piece of wooden dowel (maybe 2 inches). You can find this large dowel at Home Depot or Lowes in the lumber. Maybe even Hobby Lobby.

      Delete
    2. Thanks so much, Anni! Glad you let me know on my blog comments.

      Delete
    3. You're welcome dear Ginny.

      Delete
  8. Cute Valentine decorations.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looks very cute over there! I know how it is with a kitty in the house - they love anything different.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are so artistic.... thats a cutie......good luck with the kitty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The kitty & I need a bit of luck. :-)

      Delete

Table of Contents