Boats on Parade....


It was just after a cold front moved through our area, with temps dropping into the 40s with a brisk sea breeze, making it feel even colder than it really was!!!  This past Saturday evening just after sunset, the island [NORTH Padre Island] held its 44th annual Christmas Boat Parade [La Posada] on the south Channel just off Whitecap Blvd. I apologize for rotten photos of these lighted boats. - they were photographed with my cellphone, in the dark. This is the best I could come up with to show them off. There is a yearly contest with judges [so all those that entered after registering were numbered].








Posada....Meaning in Spanish is "inn"...as in Mary and Joseph finding no room in the inn and  Mary giving birth at the stables nearby:  "Lo siento. Ya no hay lugar en esta posada....I'm sorry. There's no room at this inn."


La Posada is a non-profit organization that helps the needy with donations from the city's citizens.  This year, each boat owner collected money donations and new unwrapped toys, teaming up with La Posada and the Marine Corps, for the USMC Toys for Tots!!

38 comments:

  1. Wow, that must be amazing to see. It's awesome in pictures so I can imagine what it's like to really be there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like the dark water with the lights reflecting on the ripples!!!

      Delete
  2. Hello, love the boat parade. The lights are beautiful. Happy Monday, enjoy your day and new week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, enjoy your week ahead too Eileen.

      Delete
  3. awesome ...I never see this kind of parade.
    thank you for sharing of wonderful photos.
    have a great day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed coming along with us to view the parade.

      Delete
  4. This reminds me when I lived in Florida when everyone got their Golf Carts all decked out as well! Complete with music! Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMGosh, golf carts? Now, I've heard of EVERYTHING!!!

      Delete
  5. How lovely! There is something about lights!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have heard of port cities doing a Christmas Floatilia...but never seen pictures.
    This is gorgeous!!!
    Hugs Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Flotilla!!! Good word!!! I always associated that term with military ships. But, it fits!!

      Delete
  7. You did a great job of capturing those lighted boats. All with your cellphone? I am impressed! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Colorful - and wonderful that the donations will go to the needy. Lots of work went into those decorations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was one sail boat that had lights clear up the masts....I wouldn't want to be the one to string THOSE!!! lol

      Delete
  9. that is good news that the beautiful boats on paraded are not only wonderful to look at but doing good in this crazy old world. I saw a boat parade in St Petersburg back in 1985, the year we were married is why I remember the year

    ReplyDelete
  10. That looks quite a spectacle and with money raised going to the needy it's a win, win situation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Toys for Tots is a good thing. As is money donations for food and clothing for those in need.

      Delete
  11. I love Christmas lights and boat parades. Fabulous photos!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So sparkly and bright as if straight out of a fairytale ... and for a good cause. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have never seen a boat parade! And in the dark with lights! It is double the beauty because of the reflections. I think your pictures are fine!! My favorites are the big one at the top, and the first one in the collage! They ARE good pictures, and so brilliant and twinkly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoyed how the first one was decorated too!

      Delete
  14. That must have been beautiful to see in person.The pictures look good, but being right there would have been even better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love watching others and listening to the ooooohs & ahhhhhhs when they see the next one come by.

      Delete
  15. I think your photos are great! It looks like such a beautiful thing to see, can't imagine how cool it is to see it in person.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's pretty each year. This time around it was pretty nippy! lol

      Delete
  16. Those boats do look fabulous against the dark sky. I would love to see that occasion and be able to take night time pictures like that.

    Good to hear about your new bins Anni. I'll look forward to seeing those on Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're larger than my old pair...gonna feel awkward for a while. lol

      Delete
  17. I think there's a parade on the Hillsborough R soon. Need to get out with my tripod.

    ReplyDelete
  18. We used to have a Christmas Boat Parade with the local yacht club members decorating their boats with lights. Many years the weather was too dangerous for them to safely get outside of the marina for the parade. Now they decorate their boats and take them to the transient section of the marina and offer refreshments for visitors who come to view their masterpieces. Much safer that way. - Margy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's usually pretty calm water here in Dec. If it's rough...it'd be cancelled

      Delete
  19. I would love to see them in person...I cannot pick a favorite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you could come with me to see them Rose.

      Delete

Table of Contents