Sunflowers...



Upon cleaning out the laptop, I had several photos, taken throughout the year so far, in my picture album of sunflowers that I thought I'd take them all and compose a couple of collages! They are quite large in pixel size, so I hope it isn't too slow loading...






- - - -* * * - - - -
OPINION COLUMN
- - - -* * *- - - -


If I be waspish, best beware my sting.
~Shakespeare



I've kinda laid back on commenting of the recent passing of Arizona's Senior Senator. Why? I don't know...the news and social media have been completely saturated with stories of his life, accolades, demeanor, family, government, piloting, POW, nemesis of political affairs, etc. etc. etc. In fact after several days of his life and short bios and biases, I was tired of it all!!!   I lived in Arizona for over a decade, I didn't like him then, and I admit I thought of him as a hate monger from the beginning...not wanting him as POTUS either;  thinking.... with him in the oval office, we would've been in a war with just about anyone at the expense of lost lives, and taxpayers' money.

He's been touted as a war hero. Shot down over Vietnam, ejecting from his plane, and being captured. For me, as someone else stated, "He's not a war hero". He was a prisoner of war. The two are totally different in my opinion. The title "Hero" would be "a person noted for courageous acts of character" such as saving lives of fellow citizens during war time, falling on a grenade to protect others, or in civilian life...helping in any way during a tragedy [for instance 911]...things like that. Being captured...that's it...P O W. He was also alumni of Annapolis....now, you wonder just how he got in? Let me take a guess...his father and grandfather were both Admirals in the Navy at Annapolis....Hmmmm, nepotism? Money talks?!!  No doubt!! Certainly, I would wager he entered the academy not by merit...but family ties. Yes, he was a pilot in the Navy. But wait...do we all forget that there was an inquiry of his jet, supposedly, starting a chain reaction explosion on the aircraft carrier, USS Forrestal? Many lives taken, and many injuries...not to mention the millions of dollars in damages to the ship, and loss of weaponry. Some say it  was possibly his prank that caused it...while the official record [according to Snopes] is totally different....no blame. Personally, I fail to believe a word of the "official record"....I think it's a Navy Cover-up!!!! Just to save the captain's ass from court martial! Among other life sentences...including our departed senator. No one will ever convince me otherwise. A couple more things, then, I'm done for good...The flag at half staff. The white house was NOT in error. When a Senator dies, the flag is lowered to half staff for 24-48 hours. By Monday following his death, the flag could go full-staff!!! Absolutely no wrong doing. [90 % of the federal buildings' flags here were not lowered]. And the week of mourning and the schedule for lying in state in AZ and Washington D.C. ---all pre-arranged by the Senator himself before passing on!!! A show case of vanity and ego if you ask me!!!


USS Forrestal Snopes Report

Flag at Half Staff Guidelines

22 comments:

  1. Hi Anni, great images of the sunflowers. They remind me of the huge crops where we lived for 22 years before moving from the flat Free State to the mountains in another province. Greetings Jo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jo? Your profile link tells me I don't have access to your blog...thanks for visiting.

      Delete
  2. those sunflowers are pure joy! the first one is spectacular. I have never seen sunflowers by water like that. Wow... gorgeous pics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Around here if there is a patch of land, sunflowers grow!

      Delete
  3. Yep....I intended not to comment on the McCain road tour, but as the week wore on, and the total fabrication of his life continued with the culmination of yesterday's extravaganza I just couldn't sit by.
    What has happened to the respect to be given at the death of a loved one? Have they become just political forums to disrespect one's adversaries?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice sunflowers! They mean Autumn approaches for us. You said it about pomp, etc. very well. Kudos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, you wouldn't know Autumn is close...not here!

      Delete
  5. Happy Labor Day Anni!! Your sunflowers are worthy of several cover appearances on Birds and Blooms. How is Isaiah...Madi sends a nose tap.

    I found you commentary very very interesting. I too was in a bit of confusion over all the ceremony and 3 viewings? Don't even get me started on the Queen of Soul's send off. All that took some planning and I think it must have been down prior to her passing. Now I read today she had no will even though her lawyer continued to remind her of the necessity. WHAT?
    Hugs Madi and Mom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Media follows them like 'cats in heat'. I just don't get it.

      Delete
  6. You definitely have my utmost respect for telling things like they are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...and best thing, you don't even have to agree. lol

      Delete
  7. A most happy Labor day weekend to you thanks for sharing the sunshine from your sunflowers! Lovely captures!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your sunflowers are gorgeous! I especially love the one with the sunflowers by the water and the heron in the distance. It has everything that a great photo should have! I agree with you on the definition of a hero. I did not know about all this other info!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, therexs more to his corrupt selfish life...just ran out of room. lol

      Delete
  9. Love sunflowers. Theyre one of my favorites.
    Totally agree with you on the hero thing. I always wonder about people who make it because of who they know eather than on their own merits.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well - I love the sunflower pics!
    I was scrolling along, enjoying them, and then I got to the McCain thing. That beats the sunflowers! I so agree! I can't tell you how refreshing it was to read this. I'm so sick of hearing what a wonderful guy he was, and the whole story not being told. One more thing - when he came back from the war, his wife had gained weight and lost a leg, he divorced her a married a cute blonde with money to help fund his political career. Grrr!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Totally agree with you re the Senator. No one mentioned how when he returned from Viet Nam, he began to have affairs and finally his wheel-chair bound wife divorced him. He can do things like that and be a hero. But anyone else have an affair and they should be impeached. Just saying...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jackie...I can't find your blog! Thanks for stopping by!

      Love your refernce to affairs/impeachments. This government is so screwed (no pun intended)

      Delete

Table of Contents