“A wise old owl lived in an oak;
The more he saw the less he spoke;
The less he spoke the more he heard...
Why can't we all be like that bird?”
― Edward Hersey Richards




my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes

CLICK IMAGES FOR ENLARGEMENT SLIDESHOW
MY PHOTOS ARE NOT TO BE STOLEN FOR PERSONAL USE





Books, Butterflies and BEAUTIFUL weed!

For the first time in a few days, there was no heat advisory alert on my phone app, so I took a nice walk. I left at 6 a.m. just as the sun was getting the sky to the east a light powdery blue. I walked Indian Point Park from the fishing pier there along the park lane turning toward Sunset Lakes [near Portland, Texas]. I took pictures of the sea, some flowers along the way, and many many bird photos [and sadly a beached dolphin. At least I think it was a dolphin. Pretty discolored and bloated to really tell]. But...I haven't got the photos off the camera SD card, so I'll settle for posting this:



I'll begin with Books...


I saw this book for a buck at the grocery store as I walked the aisle for 'school supplies' as I needed a roll of scotch tape. With the title, I knew what the story would be, and added it to my cart. Even if a children's book, it was always one of my favorite biblical stories....and when I got it home to sit down with it in my hand to quickly read it, I was thrilled with the great illustrations too.  You can buy this book through amazon for $2.99.  I say it's well worth it, it'd make a great Christmas or Easter gift for ANY child.


Another book I read was a thrill to have received as a gift of her generosity, from a talented poetess,  Paula at Pauline's Country Tales. It's a book filled with different short stories through the eyes of Toby the Turtle. Toby shares some of Paula's poetry during a few 'story breaks'. All inclusive, it was a fun book to read. Toby tells us tales of a special birthday cake that Paula makes for him...there is a story of "Skiff" a boat, "Broken Antler" and his bravery....plus rational messages throughout on how to be a better person. It, too, is a book I would recommend for any child for learning about animals, human behaviors, and stories of deserts, life, people and inanimate things that come to life through imagination.  After all, that is what books are supposed to do for the reader, right?  Bring out the imagination of the curious mind with words of interest; learning skills!!


- - -


...then, some butterflies [and a moth]...




- - -

...lastly a Beautiful weed!

Yes, you read that right. Not only is South Texas part of the bird migration twice a year, but butterflies...With the migration of butterflies and the tropical climate here during the summer months [and Springtime], some parks are intentionally landscaped with butterfly attracting flowers [and in this case a weed] - Butterfly Weed. I've also seen hummingbirds drinking from them; the nectar-filled yellow centers.



23 comments :

  1. Hello, sounds like a great walk. Pretty butterflies and flowers. Thanks for the book reviews. Happy Thursday, enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That weed is beautiful! I love anything that attracts hummers and butterflies. And I will check out those books, even though I haven't been a kid for awhile. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I'm sure you would know some kid that would enjoy the stories. I especially like the whole theme of Toby's Tales.

      Delete
  3. stunning weed, specatacular butterflies and I love using my imagination. that is why I like to read more than watch a movie. what I see in the book can't be shown on a screen... your heat advisory moved HERE. oh MY! yesterday and today have been COOKING!!!! can't even breathe outside.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like movies....but as most all say, books are better.
      Oh no...I don't like the sounds of YOUR heat index. That's GOAT to be torture.

      Delete
  4. Nope, NO weeds. Only wildflowers. And yours is lovely and unusual. So Toby The Turtle...what age would you recommend, maybe as young as 5 or 6? Your butterfly in the middle, I saw one the other day, and have yet to identify it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ginny....I think the middle butterfly is called a Red Admiral or something close to that. Vanessa is the Latin Family name I believe. And as for the books....maybe a little older, it depends on the reading skills of each child probably.

      Delete
  5. That is a beautiful weed, and I love the butterflies. Going to have to wait to get on my other computer...wanted to look up those books. Just to see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought so too. I don't see too many of these, but when I do there is always a butterfly nearby.

      Delete
  6. Beautiful butterflies and that Butterfly Weed is lovely as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You know sometimes it is the small books that are the best.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sure wish today's children would read more than they do these days. I've noticed that spelling skills are also failing and reading would improve those. I love those wildflowers and the natural world you show us today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They read...but not for the benefit of learning. As for spelling...computers/smartphones are to blame. A teacher friend of my son told him that he CAN'T flunk a student. It's against the houston school [don't know which of the many districts he teaches] distrct. Unbelievable!!

      Delete
  9. Such pretty flowers and butterflies

    ReplyDelete
  10. Excellent book reviews. I am always on the lookout for new reading material.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're both eceptional for youngsters!

      Delete
  11. Thank you for the shout out and I'm sure Jack will appreciate it. As always your butterfly and flower pictures are very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  12. How did I miss this post? I guess it came up when we were without power and internet! Thanks for letting me know in a comment though. :) Those books sound like good ones - I'm going to check them out. As you know, our girlies love books!

    ReplyDelete

.