Indian Point Park and Sunset Lakes

I've been a bit lazy the last couple of days. Friday morning, while fasting - before breakfast of course, I hopped in the car in the dark-o-thirty hour to head to the hospital to have blood drawn for a whole lipid panel. When I returned home, I ate my usual blueberry and oatmeal with a cup of milk, and then waited for Best Buy to open to buy a digital antenna for our TV. We haven't had cable hook-up for about 5 years, and I really don't miss it at all. Except for one thing...and that's watching our two favorite programs, NCIS and NCIS New Orleans. We have been watching it on the computer the day after airing. I told Bud, I would like to watch it on a BIG 60" screen instead of a 21 inch. He hooked it up and we now can watch our favorite programs when the new Fall Season begins. Of course we'll still watch movies/DVDs. I'd much rather watch movies. The last two evenings we watched two older ones: The 2009 version of Mulan [not the Disney animated, but real people], and the Iron Giant. Both are excellent, of course, but we'll trade in the Iron Giant only because of the politic correctness of non-violence, etc.  [it was all too obvious to really enjoy a whole lot],  and keep the Mulan for watching more than once...when they're good movies we are happy to watch them over and over.  This one, Mulan, was near legendary, and really quite good.

- - -

Okay, other than being lazy and not accomplishing much, - besides we've had a couple of days of heavy rainstorms, keeping me a homebody...I had mentioned that some of the photos from my last walk this week were still on the camera. I finally got them off and uploaded to be ready for blogging. I walked a trail along Indian Point and Sunset Lakes between the metro Corpus Christi and a smaller 'burb over the bay waters, Portland, Texas. The area is a vast oyster bed and fresh water, gulf water, mangrove and birds. I should say wildlife 'cause there is more than birds. I even had a baby skunk near my feet at one point on the trail. I was stunned to have it come up to me within a couple of feet. It quickly disappeared into the juniper bushes that line the path. Thank goodness!!!


Many many oyster shells can be found; everywhere!!


Mangrove is abundant near the fishing pier!


This is the view from a nearby beach pathway I walked.  I pointed out the USS Lexington in this  photo 'cause I utilized my zoom lens to focus on the skyline in close ups...


The Harbor Bridge and the USS Lexington [now a WWII museum]. By the way, construction on the new Harbor Bridge has begun. I probably won't live to see it completed [2021 is the projected date of completion]. The new replacement bridge will be the longest of its kind in the nation, measuring 1,655 feet at its main span. Here is a website of its visionary completion with animation!!  Readying to merge onto the "old" Harbor Bridge, I noticed humongous cranes and gigantic equipment getting ready for the day's work ahead.  Progress!!

Okay more photos along the path...



...going off the trail walking through the dune to the gulf shore, I spotted a sponge that washed ashore I'm not sure on this, but it looks to be what they call "Sea Wool" which is abundant 'long the Gulf of Mexico coast from Texas to Florida.


I set the camera on panoramic and took this sandbar photo after finding the sponge.  Laughing Gulls and Terns...



- - -

After exhausting the distance with my step count, I returned to the car and started for home. BUT!! Driving the causeway to the bridge I noticed that the Rookery Island off the highway was really busy, so I had to pull off and stop under the causeway and take photos of all the birds on the island mating and nesting....spoonbills, pelicans, seagulls, egrets and herons. UNDER the causeway [the stantions, there were turtle doves, pigeons and nesting swallows!!]

That was my morning on the 5th. Perhaps today I may be able to get some more walking added to my agenda. Depends of the weather.

28 comments :

  1. I love all these oyster shells! And the water is sparkling!! Especially in the picture with the pier. I did not know there was another Mulan movie! This older one is not for children? When you say "Humongous cranes", of course, I think of birds, ha ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, the movie is really not for children at all...more 'truth' of the legend, that the fable Disney depicts.

      Delete
  2. You are getting rain? The Purple Sage is blooming, hope it doesn't lie. I've toured the USS Lexington on a day trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, now it's more a steam bath atmosphere outdoors! But the grass is greener! LOL [I wasn't all that impressed by the aircraft carrier, were you?]

      Delete
  3. I always love your photos of diamonds in the water views.. that sparkle is what I love. I would love to see a baby skunk but not the close. glad you did not get sprayed. we are having a steam bath here also, early is doable, after 9 to 10 not so much. I did not know about digital antennas, and am wondering how many stations you get with it.. TV is so bad right now, even though we have 700 channels, we can't find anything we like. we prefer movies also, we get ours from Prime Amazon with a fire stick

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I can't tell you how many stations YOUR area would get. You'd have to check online...type in your zip code and OTA antenna. Then, you'd find out.

      Delete
  4. You are right that I really don't know true heat, Anni, and I look at your pictures of south Texas and revel in all the wildlife you have around you, but I'm glad I'm here and you're there! You can share it with me and I truly admire your ability to continue to get your steps in regardless. I'd be housebound, I'm afraid, if I lived there. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The heat can be exhausting, just be sensible. Well, you're fit...you know the 'drill'.

      Delete
  5. Hello, Anni! Love the beautiful views of the water. I always enjoy watching gulls and birds in flight. It is neat to see a skunk, glad it ran away. Happy Saturday, enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your photos and the narration are always very interesting. I love the water shots and especially the panorama this time. Walk on!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good morning and happy weekend to you! I always enjoy your incredible shots, what a lovely place you live in too. That water and city landscape is something! Take care and soak up every precious moment.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have wonderful places to get your steps in...interesting what they are doing with the bridge. It is always amazing what engineering feats are accomplished.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I live to see the new bridge completed, I'll be happy since this one in use now was built in the 50's...long over due for a new one to be in existence in my opinion.

      Delete
    2. You mentioned that before... I don't mean to pry but wonder why you are concerned about living to see it. If you chose not to say, thats fine.....

      Delete
    3. Just an habitual thought since my heart attack. Thanks Mr B

      Delete
  9. Hi Anni...
    Lovely photos as always. WE've been MIA. My B and I took a much anticipated trip out to your native Colorado and Utah week of 6/20-26. WE were on a tour it was absolutely a splendid trip; however, I did start getting a tad sickly the last day as did My B. We came home to a sick kitty too. L But I'm happy to report we 3 seniors are well now. What beautiful country we saw and of course the Durango-Silverton train ride.
    Hugs to you all
    Madi and mom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good time of year to visit colorado! Hope you're all feeling better.

      Delete
  10. PS I started a personal blog in June this story will amuse you I'm sure.
    http://mymindseyeblogaddress.blogspot.com/2017/06/english-is-hard-too-many-words-mean-too.html#comment-form

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great set of photos.My favourite is the one with the sparkles on the water.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks....I enjoy the beauty of the sparkling sea too.

      Delete
  12. That one picture of the water sparkles like diamonds. Love it. I also like the panoramic shot of the gulls and terns.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I always enjoy your photos! Thanks for taking us with you!

    ReplyDelete

.