“A wise old owl lived in an oak;
The more he saw the less he spoke;
The less he spoke the more he heard...
Why can't we all be like that bird?”
― Edward Hersey Richards




my POETRY | MEME links | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes

Blog Best Viewed with 1600x900 Monitor or Larger
CLICK IMAGES FOR ENLARGEMENT SLIDESHOW
MEME Links are on one page-Use TAB on the menu bar, above!





...to Farmers' Market I Go...and A Couple of Beach Walks

With the heat index hovering in the triple digits I'm not doing well on my walking regime. I did go to the beach a couple of times this week, on Tuesday and Thursday. One beach, within the boundaries of Padre Island National Seashore [federal park], and the other beach was Whitecap Beach also on Padre Island, but closer to the motels and the residential areas. All I can say, is even at 6:30 a.m. as soon as the sun lifted from the horizon, the heat was on!! I also stopped for home grown tomatoes at the Farmers' Market. I perused the 'booths' of all that was there, and saw just a few items. Mostly, since it's just a tad early for vegetables of a great variety, there were others selling their wares, and a gal was entertaining us as we shopped with her songs...



...besides tomatoes, I bought a couple of quarts of blackberries.

- - -

At Padre Island National Seashore [PINS] I walked, for the first time, from the visitor's center toward the Park's Headquarters. I usually head south toward Old Mexico, but for some reason I decided to head the opposite way. Sad to report while there, there was a tragic story unfolding further down the area. An older gentleman [79 yrs. old], kayaking, got tangled up in his lines and the kayak capsized...he drowned - was pronounced DOA at the hospital. Tho, its dreadfully true, this time of year it's a common occurrence, for drownings and lost at sea or disabled boats and the boaters having to be rescued by Coast Guard, yet still it's humbling and thoughts and sympathies of any family of the victim/s are heartfelt.




- - -

Again, then, on Thursday shortly after 6AM I was on the road, determined to get in at least 4-5 miles walking in before too much heat urged me back to the AC/car. This time, Whitecap Beach. There is a long elevated walkway along the hotel complexes, and the beach of course. And if I head northeast, I walk the OTHER side of the Packery Channel Jetty. Oftentimes, when my normal trek takes me to Packery Channel, I'm on the side where there is a parking lot and cool, shaded benches after walking. And, while parking on the other side, I always see this dike-like fixture on the hotel side. I wanted to see what was behind it! I got my 5 miles walking done, for sure.

The sky was moody, the sea somewhat rough, the sargassum [Gulf Seaweed] was abundant and the odor can take your breath away [as I stepped out of the car after  opening the door to begin walking, the smell was mighty powerful!!!!.] Several other people had the same idea I had; walking early. A few hotels are being renovated during the summer months readying for the winter Texans. A few were already swimming. The gulls were working the shoreline, feasting from the seaweed and what washes ashore with it...





A cup of seaweed anyone?



...what I found behind the 'dike' was a wall of graffiti!!!


24 comments :

  1. How very sad about the man kyaking.
    I have a DVD formwalking when the weather won't allow me to get out. 15 minutes of it gives you the equivalent of a mile. Leslie Sansone does the dvd

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I 've tried dvd exercising...everything is backwards!! I will stick to my stationary bike.

      Delete
  2. Been a long time since I was at Padre Island. I am sure it has changed since then. My favorite time of the season is when the fresh produce starts coming in. When growing up, I got used to hanging our on and never let it go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh ya...fresh peaches is what I love her in texas

      Delete
  3. The blackberries look so good!! What is the big white thing on the water? A capsized sailboat? It sounds very dangerous out there. Wonderful seagull pictures! And a favorite is the sea picture right above the boat. I love good graffiti, but this is just gang markings, not artistic at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you're talking about the white thing behind the larger boat...that's asmall fishing boat.

      Delete
  4. Hello, really enjoyed all your beach scenes, it's incredible what water and sand and some cool critters can do to make your day right! Your farmer's market looks fun, and especially when there is music there too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it's a small market so her music is heard all over.

      Delete
  5. Sad news about the kayaker.

    Those sound like amazing places to walk - smells and all. I'm jealous of your farmers market. I've yet to find one around here that's worthwhile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...wishin' it was a bigger market and now I feel bad for wanting more when you don't have one.

      Delete
  6. Farmers markets are fun - and they have such good stuff!
    So sad about the man drowning. Living near Lake Michigan, we have similar things in our news.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep...where ever there's water...summers can be lethal

      Delete
  7. I like the trip to the Farmers' Market! And it is tragic about that guy drowning. Love the pictures of the birds and beach. I can feel that surf pounding from those pictures! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like those markets too...it's like helping our fellow man out from all his laboring

      Delete
  8. Hello, Anni! The blackberries look delicious. Love all the waves, gull and water view shots. I try to get in some walking early in the morning to avoid the hot weather. Happy Friday, enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I imagine it's not qite as hot/humid in MD. tho

      Delete
  9. You are one tough cookie to walk so far in that heat. I can't comprehend how you do it! The pictures of the surf, especially #22, are wonderful to see. I can feel its mist as it beats the rocky shore. Our wild berries are blooming now. So tasty if I can get some before the birds snatch them first.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sea breeze helps! If I were to walk in the city...I probably cut it short, or not walk at all.

      Delete
  10. I like this post and of course your pictures are always the best. You writing about The National Seashore brings memories of my deceased husband, Melvin who worked for a Company named City Carbonic Co. in San Antonio. He stayed down there installing equipment there. He also installed equipment in The Tower Of The Americas. I'm sure both businesses have had to replace the equipment as that was years ago. He died when he was almost 53 from a heart attack. Sorry Father's Day gets me emotional.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Memories are always good...the GOOD memories!! Thanks Paula

      Delete
  11. I like all the photos on this entire blog Anni. Love the gentle colors and the seaside on this one. Great Shots. Have a wonderful weekend, cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You really put out an interesting post. I like the way you bring it all together with the story and the photos. Farmer's markets are fun with their conglomeration of creations, produce and various smells. I would walk fairly long distances (for me) too, as I enjoy walking BUT I don't have the time right now as our growing season is so short and my yard and garden comes first, I guess I get plenty of exercise in the yard thse days, LOL
    A high-five to farmer's markets and long walks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gardening and yard work is most definitely exercise!! Thanks for stopping by Belva.

      Delete

.