my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out




I'm Being Postively Negative Today...

Oftentimes when Bud and I are in Barnes and Noble I peruse the sale books of the previous best sellers. This one, after I read the inside of the dust jacket, I thought would be a good read. Something of a different genre for me. I must say, tho, it was a bit disappointing. Yet, I had to continue reading it through its entirety to see how it ended. The book's cover artwork throws you off a bit. The story is about the early 1900s in Texas, yet the cover depicts [at least for me] a saga of the 'old west', circa 1800s. It wraps around an ex-Texas Ranger that dwells in the past, his kidnapped son [an injured WWI veteran], STRONG women in his life and a unusual twist...he has stolen the holy grail! Ya, you read that right! A bit far fetched, I know. See what I mean? How on earth this novel got on New York Times Best Seller List, I'll never understand. Within the pages, there is deceit, flashbacks of war times, references to many historical figures of the west, arms dealers out for revenge, women of virtue, and women not so virtuous if you get my meaning.  It was like the author was trying his heart out to make the book worth reading by both sexes...sweet and loving one minute while in the blink of an eye, crude, rough and murderous the next.  Not very consistent, yet, I guess...such is life.   I can't honestly say I would recommend this to read...but, once the story begins, it's hard to put down 'til the end.

- - -

I added a new news app to my phone, called News 360. I must say I am enjoying this app quite a lot. You see, I got very tired of reading the news on CNN, Fox, and Yahoo where it was the same over and over and over. Biased reporting, poor grammar, mudslinging comments, a bickering war between news and who hates whom [and loathing articles I might add]...all to the point of actually wanting to pull my hair out. I searched high and low for something that can keep me updated on world news, and also have some articles of interest. Interest to ME without searching through and having to scroll over all the 'bad' news of the world before I get to some articles worth while.  It's an app [works on Windows 10 also] that allows you to choose the subjects of interest, individually,  from literally 100s of items. Go through the enormous listings, click the plus [+] sign to add to your reading. For instance, National Geographic, Birdwatching News, Humor, Medicine, Science, Planets, Cats/Dogs, Celebrity, [if you wish...virtually ALL news coverage, local, national, world], Politics, individual states, Art, etc. etc. I highly recommend this app.  There really IS more to life than being right or left in the world ... politicking seems to rule the media, and I'm sick of it....everything else is put on the back burner.  I want MORE than Liberals and Conservatives.
image source= site's header
- - -

Speaking of media...social media is another thing. This, I really liked. I don't do Twitter, I don't do Facebook, and I rarely do Youtube, except for watching music videos from my youth [or animal videos that make me smile]. So, picture this.  Ya, I realize it's a bit on the verge of mudslinging, and contradictory to what I stated above,  but, what the heck.  With social media, I think this hits the spot for me these days.....


image source= shared from News 360 - humor sectioned articles

I swear I'll be more positive soon....
lol

32 comments :

  1. Sarcasm much *giggles* never mind Anni, all will be better in the morning. Unlike you, I have no issue in putting a book down and not finishing it if it doesn't grab me immediately, fickle I am...
    I have my private news network, hubby ends up telling me all I should know, and that's enough for me, the news is horribly (fake)(real). I have no faith left in the media, any media. And ditto what you said about social media. Now, how about a sunny drive and an ice cream?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me being sarcastic? Not I!!! roflmao

      Are you back home in S A now, or still perusing Europe?

      Delete
  2. I'll have to check out that news app. I read three newspapers online every day and like the news app on my iPhone, which gives me a taste from many different sources. I can pick and choose what I want to read. And I'll skip that book. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The whole concept of picking and choosing what to read is a big huge plus in 'my book'.

      Delete
  3. since my name is Negative Nellie or sometimes Sandra Negative Hangey, I loved the whole post. the app I have saved to look at later. I read my news using Feedly an RSS feed, I have our two local TV stations and 2 newspapers, only what I want to read. comes in on the feed and I scan to see if I want to read. I may put this app on my laptop. can't put on phone or tablet, no room for more apps.
    I might just like this book, will check it out... I do FB but not twitter and I have favorites saved in youtube. I don't post much of FB but keep up with how stupid is the next stupid thing my relatives do next

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find the local stations here don't cover a real story long enough or give me the info I would LIKE.

      Delete
  4. Hello, I have often put down a book I do not like. I will have to check out that app, sounds nice. I do giggle over the youtwitface, lol. Happy Tuesday, enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've done the same with really BAD books...but this one, well, it kept my interest piqued just enough to keep reading it.

      Delete
  5. I want to give that news 360 app a try. I'm currently using the apple news app. You're right that all the major media outlets have the same stories.

    I'm reading a supposed New York Times best seller right now. I spend most of my time while reading thinking, "how is that possible?" I should probably stop but it's so hard to find a good book I often make the meh ones work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's difficult to figure out why some make it to the best seller lists!! And yes, a GOOD book is one in a million.

      Delete
  6. Absolutely love the YouTwitFace!! Thanks for the chuckle.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like Facebook for the fact I can go to the local page and find out things about our area I wouldn't have other wise known. We don't have a radio station any longer and the newspaper only comes out once a week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My daughter is ever faithful to FB

      Delete
  8. Bob is ok, he went back to swimming today. he had the melanoma removed and we are waiting to see if he has to have more removed. should know in a few days.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This last thing is hilarious!!! I am going to grab my phone NOW and get this app! You KNOW I will choose bird watching(whoever heard of that as a news option?), National Geographic, and Science!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I added those to MY reading also.

      Delete
  10. The news app sounds like a good one. Only the news you want. Ive seen that one about the social media sites merging. I thought it was hysterical

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm sick of the news too - too much mudslinging and I don't believe half of what I hear. The new app sounds good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's getting to be a huge joke! [or it HAS BEEN a joke for so long, I'm just now getting around to admitting it]

      Delete
  12. twitface should be hit...jist my thought.
    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. rofl...I like your sentiment Dora.

      Delete
  13. Oh, that is just too funny! I am on Facebook, but have only a few treasured friends and family and we enjoy sharing photos and keeping up with each other's lives. I block all the crap, pardon my French! When I was a young girl there was a great song called 'House of the Rising Sun', I think it was by 'The Animals'. Haha - funny name. Anyway, I just loved that song, especially when I went to my first dance and my best 'boy crush' asked me to dance to it! I'm sick of the news, too. I just want to watch HGTV all day. I'll have to try the APP! x Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I speak this kind of French, fluently. Yep, I remember that song, and liked it too. Even to this day.

      Delete
  14. I didn't mind the negativity...after all, that book sounded like a HUGE disappointment. I would have had to been negative about it also. And the thing about the news...boy, do I GERT it! :-) We do watch YouTube some for different sites we trust, as well as checking out The Drudge Report, Western Journalism and a few other sites online we trust. One You Tube I really like because it does what that News 360 does, is Mr. Doom's Endtimes report. The name is VERY misleading...it isn't about the end of the world. It simply brings news reports from all over the globe onto one place so you can get a 360 view of what is going on...and he always ends with an upbeat, uplifting story. So much for Doom :-) Anyway, your joke about You Tube, Twitter and Facebook was so funny! Hope you have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, just how many days must we read articles that really have nothing to 'do with our country's security and governmental issues'...like Mrs. Trump and Barron move into the white house. Things like that.

      Delete
  15. In my memory that "House of the Rising Sun" was a bar and prostitute place in New Orleans! Didn't you remember that song by the Animals? Check out the lyrics! I like Facebook because I can converse immediately and easily with so many of my "real" friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I most definitely remember the song...one of my favorites as I stated above your comment in another reply. Thing is, I think it was a fictionalized bordello. But the one mentioned in the book was in China...now I don't know if THAT was indeed a real place. Who knows.

      I'm not your 'real' friend? [kidding...I know what you mean of course]


      https://www.americanbluesscene.com/2011/11/a-brief-history-of-house-of-the-rising-sun/

      Delete
  16. The news makes me nervous these days so I watch and repost lots of cat videos on facebook. I get political on twitter. I live on Instagram though. Just love it.

    ReplyDelete

.