South Bay Park...


Checking the Texas Bird Association for birds seen in my area, I noticed one listing that is NOT considered a 'hot spot' for birding. Yet, the 4 birds reported there, instigated me to search just where this was in town. It was a new park listed, which I had not known existed. But I got out my trusty Google maps and located it. Not far to drive, tho it was through a residential area for the most part, and ended at the park on the bay!! It was a small park! Very small. A neighborhood park. Perhaps only a block long and a block wide. But near the shore, looking out on the bay waters, I can see why the particular bird sighted would be in this vicinity. Piers, lots of water, and probably good fishing for them to find! The bird, tho I didn't see any, is the Magnificent Frigatebird. I have seen them during the summer months at Port Aransas, but none have ever been reported so close to home. I've been trying to avoid the island travel anyway because of road construction and narrow lanes and gawd-awful drivers! lol This was an opportunity to find another birding spot for me.

I scouted out the bay and walked the trail around the circumference three times, noting some early birds out. I found some young fledgling Loggerhead Shrikes, pigeons, egrets in the water, curlews, inca doves, flycatchers, sea gulls of course, and a few grackles. The sea breeze, and the early morning hour made for a delightful, tho way too short of a walk.



A Loggerhead Shrike in Silhouette

...Since it was such a small area to walk, I hopped in the car and drove to a nearby wildlife refuge, Hans Suter along Oso Bay. There I made up for the lack of steps/distance in the 'new' park. After walking the trail there, I again drove some more to the Army/Navy Base Road along the shore of the bay and finished out my walk there. More photos to come at a later day...

- - -



When I got home, I got back on my phone and sat to catch up on the local news....

THIS STORY BROUGHT TEARS TO MY EYES!! A must read. There IS GOOD in this world!!!

20 comments :

  1. Great story. So good to read this instead of more BAD news! A Shrike. I have never seen a real one. They are really something else. I think they also used to be called Assassin Bird.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have read they're called impalers.

      Delete
  2. You sure do get around, Anni. I enjoyed the story of the shrike, too. I've never seen one. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ....round round round, I get around. I feel a song comin' on.

      Delete
  3. I do love a story with a happy ending and that tells there are still good people in the world. I loved the article. that is a really nice small park..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good to read happy tales.

      Delete
  4. Wonderful to hear good news. It is so easy to become jaded. Your pics are reminder of all of the gifts that have been given to us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jaded in so many ways these days

      Delete
  5. I wish I could find places like this around here to walk. Now I'm going to go read that story

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was small but very quiet. I like quiet 😊

      Delete
  6. That was quite a walk today! I read that story earlier and agree with you. In fact I believe that there is more good than bad in the world but we just don't hear about the good as much. It's not usually news. My mother always said that we shouldn't tell of the good things we do because it was a form of boasting and she would quote Matthew 6.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would much rather read the good news instead of the awful stuff that people are forced to read.

      Delete
  7. How interesting to find a new park, even a small one.
    What a good news story of the young man getting a car!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought that was something good to share.

      Delete
  8. That is such a good story...we need to hear more of them...nice to find a new park that has birds you want to see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully when I go back there, there will be even more birds!

      Delete
  9. I agree with the rest, we need more good stories and happenings like that in the world today. Love your photos as well Anni. Very well done.

    Mersad
    Mersad Donko Photography

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello, love the Shrike pose. I agree we need more good stories in the news. It is always nice to find new parks and birding spots. Happy Friday, enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really liked this small park ... peace & quiet.

      Delete

.