“A wise old owl lived in an oak;
The more he saw the less he spoke;
The less he spoke the more he heard...
Why can't we all be like that bird?”
― Edward Hersey Richards




my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes

CLICK IMAGES FOR ENLARGEMENT SLIDESHOW
MY PHOTOS ARE NOT TO BE STOLEN FOR PERSONAL USE





Days of Yesteryear....

Remember the cartoons of yesteryear? With the likes of Bugs Bunny, Elmer Fudd, Daffy Duck, Heckle and Jekyl, Mighty Mouse, etc. etc.? What went wrong with cartoons of today? They're all either too wishy-washy sweet, or too violent with crime, not to mention the evil computer games with so many that has the game played to the death!!   No comedy any more, what-so-ever.  Even stand up comedy has an evil side [Kathy Griffin comes to mind].  I miss Saturday Morning cartoons. Laughter is good medicine. Anyway, the purpose of my opening line is, ... yes, the cartoons of yesteryear! How many times were there airplanes in the cartoons depicted with faces such as this one. Which brings me to the photo I took while out on the beach, walking. I've been terribly influenced from Mel Blanc, Chuck Jones, and Walt Disney....I saw the Coast Guard plane, and immediately saw the smiling face!!!!


- - -


Then an old movie. Oftentimes when Bud and I witness a huge amount of vehicles leaving the same area at one time, like when a concert if over, or a ball game and the cars are vying for a space near the exit gates we think of IT'S A MAD MAD MAD MAD WORLD movie with a cast of 1000s with the likes of Spencer Tracy, Jimmy Durante, Mickey Rooney, Sid Caesar, Milton Berle, Edie Adams, Ethel Merman and more...A short synopsis of the flick is: When Jimmy Durante has an accident on a California Highway, he's dying after going over a cliff and confesses where he hid money from an unsolved robbery. The witnesses hear the confession and then, all head to where the money is hidden....near a "BIG W"!! It's hilarious. [circa 1963 - from wikipedia claims of attempts to produce a remake of It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World have circulated, but no film producers have officially confirmed a contract despite attempts] Anyway, when I see something that resembles a "W",  the hidden treasure of yesteryear comes to mind. I saw one the other day. In our own back yard...

photo of the big W from the movie set


- - -


Thinking of days gone by, I remember as a child, when we'd head along the interstate highway 80 [it wasn't interstate when I was young] to Lincoln, Nebraska from our Colorado home, where my father's sister lived. Getting closer and closer to Lincoln, in the vast farmland off the roads, we'd see an old red one room school building. My aunt taught classes there, just like Ms. Beadle on the TV series, Little House on the Prairie. The photo of the school you see is the actual school taken long long long ago. I haven't been along I-80 in decades, so I don't know if it [the school]  is still in existence. But, when I was looking for one of my photos of that mountain along the front range to sketch it, I came across the picture of the school and reminisced of yesteryear, when I was a youngster traveling to visit Aunt Mary. Oh, and unlike now-a-days, when teachers need a college degree, my aunt only had a high school education and taught grades 1-8 when most farm children stopped their education to work the family's farmland and carry on with tradition.


- - -


One more thought on the term of yesteryear and school...
This past week I received a letter in the mailbox. On the envelope, it had my high school logo on the return address. I hadn't even thought of it for so, so many years now. After getting the house chores done, I sat down and opened the letter. Holy Cow....it's my high school 50 year class reunion!! Good lord, has it been that long ago? Yep, it has. In fact 50 years ago on May 31st I was free for the summer to travel. 50 years ago, I got a gift to fly to our nation's capital and spend a little over a month there, hanging out on "D" Street, just a few blocks from the capitol. I took off work in June and returned in August....after many days living and learning of our nation's politics, government, visiting sites with the likes of Iwo Jima, climbing to the top of Washington Monument, spending 3 days at the Smithsonian Institute, privileged to witness the Senate via the underground subway to the Chambers, the Pentagon, the FBI. Not to mention a trip down the Potomac River on a riverboat excursion. Custis Lee Mansion, etc. etc.. Oh so many good times, so many good memories. Anyway, the letter had a list of activities planned in August ... nothing worth making a special trip to attend. Golf? Dancing? Heck, I can do that HERE!! Sure, I'd be able to see some classmates, but really....I'm sure it would be "You haven't changed a bit?" "You have HOW MANY grandkids?" "I've been divorced, married three times." That sorta thing. I'm just not into that kinda stuff.  The photo is a conglomerate of the letter received, my 1967 class photo album and the page cut where I am [outlined photo on the insert].

30 comments :

  1. Love to read your thoughts and ... I love old photos but hate class reunions :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Class reunions are so 'phony' ... people tend to become braggarts during this time of their lives I think.

      Delete
  2. Ah! I have some of your same memories! I do wish the cartoons and tv shows were kinder these days.
    I loved the Donald Duck cartoons and I remember even as a child noticing how the house would get all messed up with their shenanigans! My favorite moment was when Donald would go to bed and the sheet fluttered over him and would softly float down and cover him and he would sigh a deep sigh. I still think about that sometimes when I slide into bed at night and pull up my covers .....and sigh.
    I never finished high school and I'm a little like the children of long ago.....I stopped going to school in the 8th grade. But if I had, I imagine I would feel the same as you do regarding reunions. The closest I get to reunions is when I run into someone from the church I attended long long ago. And you're right about the standard things people say.
    Thank you for a lovely visit this morning! It was like having coffee together!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your response to this post today is so gracious Linda....thanks!!

      Delete
  3. Annie, love this story!!! thank you for that walk down memory lane
    (This is Maryanne used to be Gilligan n maryanne) I am so glad that I finally found you!!! I have surly missed your post
    xoxox
    Gina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gina....it's nice to see you back blogging. I don't do Google Plus tho, so I can't leave you any comments. I will respond here tho, if you'll allow me!! Thanks so much for visiting and enjoyed your yellow flower on your photos today.

      Delete
    2. I did away with Google plus (disconnected them from blogger) I have missed blogging so much, lots of life and I mean lots!!!!thank you so much for the comment on the yellow flowers

      Delete
    3. Gina...well, I returned, but it still says that your commenting is with Google Plus. Maybe I'm not in the right area?!!!

      Delete
  4. Well that was fun to think about old stuff. I love to re-see the old old movies, too. And class reunions? I really never even seriously considered attending any of them. There was a 25th, a 30th, a 40th, and a 50th and I even wondered why I was still on the list!! Also most were held at "fancy" places with prices out of the question, not counting hotels, and travel expenses. NOPE~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya, the expense is something I didn't think of, but you're so right. No fortune is worth seeing all the old classmates that'll just be as phony as they were in school. Y'know?

      Delete
  5. I just got an email from my high school and it has been 55 years, they had the 50 5 years ago now they want to know if we want to have a half way, one time eat out together. I have never been to one and the answer is no.. I love that plane and the face is perfect for Walt Disney to use in a cartoon. I loved all those cartoons and one of my favorites was Road Runner and Wiley and that silly Rooster that I can't remember his name, the tall white with red comb..
    I love looking back and I do miss the types of movies we had. if only they would remake some of them with the better lighting and edits and things in the new movies. we tried 3 movies last night on prime and deleted all 3, each of them started with extreme violence.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We almost never go to the reunions either. I LOVE your subject of things reminding you of the cartoons and movies!!! Yes, cartoons were move gentle, with innocent humor. Sure, critters got killed, like Roadrunner (usually from a backfiring Acme product). But they popped right back up and never stayed dead. I LOVE Mad Mad Mad World, and have seen it more than once! This makes me think I should buy it for all of us to watch, and have my friends come over! GOOD memories!! AND...the world HAS gone mad, sadly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Innocent humor....yes, indeed!!! Excellent comparison dear one. Excellent.

      Delete
  7. You and I grew up in the same era, Anni. I remember well The Mad mad mad world and love that you remembered it when you saw the W in your garden! School reunions do lose their attraction, I agree with you. We live closer to where Grant and I both went to school in the '60's but haven't heard of any reunion yet this yet. Thanks for the memories. Jo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you're not missing much when it comes to class reunions. Of course, that's MY opinion. lol

      Delete
  8. Cartoons oday can't hold a candle to the ones back in the day. I went to my first two class reunions and haven't been o another one. I haven't kept in touch with anyone and I have no desire to sped an evening with people I no longer know

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly...'can't hold a candle to the oldies but goodies'.

      Delete
  9. I think I went to two of my reunions. As you stated they say exactly what you said they would. I stopped going. My 50 a long time ago. Felt I would not recognize anyone or them me. Lost interest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We went before and really thought it was quite boring.

      Delete
  10. Great memories....my favorite cartoon was Sylvester the cat and Tweetie Bird! My Sis-in-law lives in a former one room schoolhouse in N.H. I love reading old stories about teachers who taught in pioneer days. I've never been back to a class reunion, either. Too far to travel......to see people I mostly didn't want to see again! haha! (Except for a very few). x K

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. S-s-s-suff-f-erin' Succotash....thanks Karen.

      Delete
  11. The old cartoons and comedies were so much better than what we have today. My 40th class reunion is next year. I haven't gone either. I see my friends, and haven't felt the need to see the others!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why, you're just a young'un Mari!!!

      Delete
  12. I remember those wonderful cartoon, too. I recently saw Wonder Woman in the theater and enjoyed it and remembered reading the comics back in the day. And I too saw that smile on the airplane right away! Fifty years is a long time and I didn't attend my own reunion, either. No interest. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You went to see Wonder Woman. I haven't been to a movie in a while. I was thinking Dunkirk...but maybe WW instead.

      Delete
  13. Oh, I sit and think about the past, too. Still go on Youtube and watch a few of the old cartoons every now and then. My brother does a great impression of Foghorn Leghorn! And I think Lorelei prefers the old cartoons, but she is into some of the games, too.

    Yet she likes to go wade the creek and hunt for crawdads and shells...so I won't complain too much.

    I have not went to a single high school reunion and have no desire to go...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me either, and I too have absolutely no desire to attend them.

      Delete
  14. Yes, I see the smiling face...and remembered the cartoons too! :-) I have never been to my high school reunion. We did go to hubby's 25th (he went to a different school) and where we enjoyed it, that was kind'v "it" for us. I didn't have a lot of friends at school, anyway...only a couple of people I might like to see, but they probably wouldn't be there. My husband gets reports on his class from someone and it's amazing how many of his classmates have already died. With Agent Orange in Nam, you would expect a few, but there are many who never fought in the war and the number is kind've staggering considering we are not yet even 68 years old! Loved the one room schoolhouse your aunt taught in! What amazing childhood memories you must have!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes those memories pop out on me when I go through old photos. lol

      Delete

.