Independence Trail [Part II]

...to continue the day trip along part of Texas's Independence Trail, this post is dedicated to the birds seen inside the Texas Zoo in Victoria, Texas. Some were free roaming while others, caged, were mostly raptors that had been injured and remain impounded for the rest of their lives. A sad situation for nature's finest, but still, they're not road kill or left out in some open field to perish unnecessarily, which could've been the case. Those of us who visit zoos oftentimes feel that this is cruel punishment, but in most cases, it keeps the species alive and perhaps reproduce to keep the gene pool going and not extinction. Besides, we learn so much, scientifically, this way...


Herring Gull [pink feet and very large!] - Roseate Spoonbill


White Tailed Hawk [one partial wing 'missing'] - Emu


Fan Tailed Pigeon [?} - Black Bellied Whistling Ducks


Female Peafowl - Fan Tailed Pigeon [?]


Golden Eagle - Sandhill Crane


Red Tailed Hawk - Bald Eagle


The Mammals of the zoo were seen in PART I

Part three will be posted as soon as I can get the images resized for blogging....it will be the historical battleground that was part of Texas Revolution/Independence.  Coming soon.

30 comments :

  1. We were just watching a documentary tonight, and it had Golden Eagles on it. Most of these birds I have never seen. So my favorites are the Herring Gull (I love the pink feet!), the Fan Tailed Pigeon (look at his feathery feet!), and the Spoonbill. Great pictures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ginny. I too love to watch nature documentaries online when I get a chance.

      Delete
  2. I would like to touch the feathers on the Golden Eagle, they look so soft.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh me too. Another bird that I'd love to HAVE one of their feathers is a cardinal red feather!! lol

      Delete
  3. Oh what great photos. Thank you for sharing your visit with us. I take great joy in watching Georgia's Berry College's bald eagles on the live cam. Fascinating.
    I wish you a very nice day, Anni.
    xoxo Mildred

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just used your link you provided for us...exceptional.

      Delete
  4. I feel the same about captivity. It's both sad and necessary for injured animals. Great shots, as usual. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. these are all wonderful, awesome in fact. I love the spoonbill best because it is my first up close detail of that bill. I love them because to me they are like pelicans, so ugly they are beautiful. we have a wildlife program that uses the injured raptors for teaching children about taking care of birds in the wild. he goes to schools with them ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just saw a spoonbill yesterday when out walking...coming into breeding colors. They're even PRETTIER during this season.

      Delete
  6. Gorgeous photos! And as you say it is better they are there then dying in the wild.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Belle série ;-)
    Céline & Philippe

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful bird photos!
    I am glad there are places for injured birds to live in safety
    Hope you are having a beautiful week!
    Lea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lea...and hope you're having a great week too

      Delete
  9. Love them all.Even though they are all awesome I really like the fan tailed pigeon

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love them all, but the pink feet on the gull seem so cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They ARE eye catchers aren't they?

      Delete
  11. Easy to study their feathers, feet and eyes in these great photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just like attending school, huh? [kidding]

      Delete
  12. ABsolutely gorgeous!! Well done on capturing these creatures personalities too
    Hugs madi and mom

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ohhhh just came from Part 1 you you know I love those cats!!
    We had a real tragedy at the NC Zoo last week. Jamil a 9 year old Giraffe somehow
    got her head/neck in one of her favorite enrichment toys in her enclosure. She could not get it off. Not sure of the timing but it must have been after hours. Anyway they said they found her dead in her enclosure it appeared to be head and neck trauma.
    Breaks my heart and must have been a very scary and painful passing.
    All enrichment toys have been removed from all cages of all animals and undergoing serious examination.
    Hugs Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  14. I do love them all...and we do learn a lot. And there they at least never have to worry about what they are going to eat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True...and they all seem to be well taken care of in this facility.

      Delete
  15. Wonderful posting! Hope you have a happy weekend. Great photos and I found it interesting to read about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks...glad you enjoyed this Nora.

      Delete

.