“A wise old owl lived in an oak;
The more he saw the less he spoke;
The less he spoke the more he heard...
Why can't we all be like that bird?”
― Edward Hersey Richards




my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes

CLICK IMAGES FOR ENLARGEMENT SLIDESHOW





Independence Trail [part I]

Bud and I drove up to Victoria, Texas some days ago with a purpose of,  on our return trip back home, finding and exploring Coleto Creek area and Fannin, Texas, to do a walk-about at the Fannin Battleground, along the Texas Independence Trail.  While in Victoria, we drove into one of the most pretty parks in the whole state of Texas!.....Riverside park.  So many times, I've wanted this very park in OUR town.  I could spend each and every day in this pristine, well-kept, beautiful park with the Guadalupe River, the nature trails, the wildlife, the golf course, the ponds, some historical buildings nearby.  For most of the morning, we traversed along the riverbanks!  On this particular day the morning was sunny, the river was running slowly, the hawks above the tree line were screeching, the bird song was heard most everywhere in the dense trees along the banks.  Nearing midday, we decided to enter the zoo.  The Texas Zoo, housed within the park grounds, is one enjoyable walk exhibiting mainly animals that cannot survive in the wild because of injuries sustained, or other exotic pets that we humans, selfish enough to want something 'wild' that cannot be tamed, donated,  and find themselves in need of the facility.  You can walk the zoo perimeters  in about an hour's time and see most all mammals and bird life here....

I'll share some photos in a multi-part posting.  The first part will be the mammals seen within the compound.



Kristal, the Bengal Tiger - Aesa and Gaia, the Lions


Victoria, the Grey Fox


Coyote and White Tailed Deer


Little Man, the White Nosed Coati - I'm guessing this is an Alpaca [because of the ear shape]


Female Jaguar  - her name is Sophia [on breeding loan from Maryland]


Jax, the Jaguar.  He and Sophia were introduced in 2016.  Jax is the mascot of University of Houston  From the zoo's curator:  "JaX comes from Mato Grosso, Brazil, and he's a beautiful sub-species of jaguar," said Michael Magaw, Texas Zoo animal curator. "Being that they are endangered species, we have initiated a breeding program to help the population."


Meeko the Raccoon and Ringo the Ring-tailed Lemur


Diaz, the Golden Handed Tamarin -and- Bonnie the Ocelot


C. C. and Buddy Lee - Black Handed Spider Monkeys

This is just a part of the mammals seen...along with these, there were tapirs, javelinas, wolves, ring-tailed cats, skunks, other monkeys, different coatis, badgers, bobcats, reptiles, turtles, and more...



Part II will be some of the birds seen at the zoo. Coming soon to a blog near you...

38 comments :

  1. Good Morning! I really enjoyed you sharing photos from the zoo. The little fox is my favorite. I hope you will enjoy a nice start to the week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes,....I agree, she was so pretty!!

      Delete
  2. I love zoos. This one sure has a wide variety. I've never heard of a White Nosed Coti.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the coati is more a desert animal....we used to see them often in the Sonoran Desert of Arizona.

      Delete
  3. those big cats, all of them are just wonderful. I am glad they have a safe place to live since they can't run free. I hope they have outdoor spaces and not the cages I see them in. our rescue they can run in a large enclosed space for 2 hours a day, they let them out there and change up who is in and out, and live in spaces about 30 x 15, very large. zoos break my heart but I know places like this take care of them when they have a need.. excellent photos and Jax is my favorite

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As far as I know they all have indoor AND outdoor for all animals.

      Delete
  4. You've taken some really beautiful photos! Have been absent for a few months but I will try to visit more often!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've been a busy lady....I'm happy to see you visit, but understand with your lifestyle it's difficult to keep up with EVERYthing.

      Delete
  5. You HAD me at the word ZOO!! Your pictures are excellent! I have two particular favorites. The sweet little fox, he is splendid looking. And JAX, just LOOK at that gorgeous coat!! Your pelican header is awesome!!! What an beautiful surprise upon visiting! You have captured him perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ginny...for all your compliments. I too favored the fox.

      Delete
  6. Gorgeous animals...wonderful shots of them, Anni. The jaguar is my favorite big cat. When I learned that there was one just south of Tucson in the mountains there and that he wasn't the first to be spotted there in modern times, I was thrilled. The whole history of the jaguar once roaming even Arizona in the distant past made me feel such an affinity with this amazing creature who seemed to be returning to his "roots" without knowing why. I worried someone would molest him...I worried he wouldn't find a mate...in the five years we lived there, all was well. He stirred a real sense of romance in me, and still does! I truly wish him well. Look him up on YouTube..there's footage. They don't say exactly where, for his protection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember reading about the jaguar in the desert...if I recall correctly it was near Bisbee?!!

      Delete
  7. Wow! The photos of the animals are awesome! I enjoyed this posting very much.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for sharing all the photos of these gorgeous animals. Looking forward to Part Two!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks....tomorrow I should have the 'bird' segment posted. Hope to see you then.

      Delete
  9. Hello, Anni! Love all the zoo critters. The animals and photos are awesome. The park with the river sounds wonderful too. A great outing. Happy Monday, enjoy your day and the new week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Eileen...yep, it's a great park.

      Delete
  10. Lovely photography of the zoo animals ~ love them all and was glad to see appeared to be a very clean zoo ~ (not a fan of zoos but as long as the animals are well cared for ~ tis what it is) thanks for sharing the beautiful animals ~

    Wishing you a happy week ~ ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love going to zoos. And yes, taking good care of the animals is tops!! A must.

      Delete
  11. Oh, I love Victoria, and Ringo! I am not a fan of zoos, either, but big cats need a place to go when they're kicked out of university, right?
    Kay
    An Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travel

    ReplyDelete
  12. The animals look healthy and well cared for.It is still sad that they were first considered pets and then had to be put in a zoo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya, but at least they've all been given a 2nd chance in life.

      Delete
  13. Such pretty animals! I've never heard of a white nosed coati before. I love the big cats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Mari....love cats, period!!

      Delete
  14. Love to visit zoos, haven't in a long time so I enjoyed your pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed it all Paula. Take care of yourself.

      Delete
  15. Wonderful zoo pictures. I especially like the pretty fox sleeping delicately. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am glad that THESE animals seem to be taken well care of but I do NOT like Zoos - in general. I understand that It is an opportunity for the public to see these animals first hand and, hopefully there is an excellent educational program to go along with the viewing. I understand that these particular animals need a safe and good home due to circumstances, however.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I really like visiting zoos. I see so many exotic animals, live and in person. TV, videos, movies just don't do them justice. I'd have to add a safari on my bucket list. lol

      Delete
  17. I missed the link to the zoo and now feel much better to understand and realize it is a well run and educational place with many positive opportunities for all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely is a learning experience. For young AND old.

      Delete
  18. It sounds like a wonderful park...one that I would most probably enjoy as well. I live out in the middle of rural country and we have none out here. One local park with a lake that adjoins the prison...ugh and also has an aquatics center, open only from May until September...so not much. I enjoy zoos as well, for they can be educational and also house animals as you said that would not make it in the wild. There are some that are not good, but we do have a great one in the nearest big city of Louisville. Remarkable place actually. I hope that you and Bud enjoy the remainder of your week Dear Anni~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here in corpus...parks are mediocre & no zoos.

      Delete
  19. Wonderful zoo...I hear that big cats are threatened all over the world...I can't imagine anyone wanting to hunt one, but I guess people do....thanks for linking in... Michelle

    ReplyDelete

.