“A wise old owl lived in an oak;
The more he saw the less he spoke;
The less he spoke the more he heard...
Why can't we all be like that bird?”
― Edward Hersey Richards




my POETRY | MEME links | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes

Blog Best Viewed with 1600x900 Monitor or Larger
CLICK IMAGES FOR ENLARGEMENT SLIDESHOW
MEME Links are on one page-Use TAB on the menu bar, above!





I Took a WRONG TURN!

Finding myself at Bazemore Park in Calallen Texas, I decided to park the car and walk the entire loop! The road is what I use to walk...it curves and loops along the Nueces River, then the boardwalk goes into the deep woods. Coming back out from the boardwalk, the road continues along two ponds and I climb a short incline where the park trail skims the country club's golf course. Beyond the golf course, off to the left, the Hawk Watch Platform is a stopping place where I climb aboard and scout out the terrain, looking out into the prairie land for birds of course...from the platform the road twists and winds around a covered picnic area to then go out on the entrance road and down hill. I say hill...it's about a 40 to 50 degree incline...the backs of my legs get a real work-out trying to hold myself back without running.

I found a 'new' trail that goes deep into the wooded area on this particular day!! The open area to enter the pathway seemed to be inviting me! It's a quiet area...pretty, and filled with trees that this time of year the new growth is so verdant and lush. BUT!! Back in there, the quiet and what I saw during my exploring the path was also a bit eerie!! There were HUGE pieces of polished [flat and beveled at the same time] granite stone. And long ago used columns of some kind jutting up from the hillsides. It was like I had stepped into the movie set of "Wrong Turn". [If you've never seen this horror flick it's about the back-woods where people are terrorized by disfigured men who are cannibalistic!]   I walked a bit further, and then decided to get the heck outta there and turned around getting back out into the open...safer...away from something I could feel that felt 'wrong'.



Maybe it was just my imagination, but I grew weary in there...alone. If a deer came into view I would've voided my bladder with fright!!


Out in the open again, I sighted in on a pair of Great Kiskadees busy with preparing their nest high up on a light pole. Many ducks on the pond and egrets of the snowy, and great species, black necked stilts, one lone belted kingfisher, northern cardinals, a few hawks, two flocks of Black Bellied Whistling Ducks on a fly-over, mockingbirds, a field filled with Killdeer and Meadowlarks, several Greater Yellowlegs, European Starlings, Ladderbacked Woodpeckers and Golden Fronted Woodpeckers, Morning Doves, Northern Shovelers and more. The birding was a busy time!! I will share just a few more photos of the area.  In order seen in this grouping:  Kiskadee in nest, Hawk Watch Platform seen through the trees, the Larger of the Two Ponds, a snowy egret and Belted Kingfisher in branches, Black Bellied Whistling Ducks fly-over, the two ponds as you view them from the hawk watch platform [looking northwest toward the interstate highway], and lastly, a Northern Cardinal along the Nueces riverbank.....

40 comments :

  1. Good Morning! I am not familiar with the movie, but yikes, that would have been kinda creepy! Oh, I so love your bird photos, especially the Cardinal. Just in the past week, we notice our landscape here in GA turning green. I hope you enjoy your Saturday!
    Mildred

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not have your email to reply to your sweet comment this morning, so I will say "thank you" here. Our precious little 6 yr old neighbor is a bright spot in our days. I appreciate you commenting on that post. God bless you.

      Delete
    2. Spring is definitely getting here! I don't mind Spring, but dread what comes AFTER Spring. lol

      Delete
    3. Oh, and I don't do emails...I don't spend that much time online anymore since my heart attack...I try and keep busy without much sitting. lol

      She was very special indeed.

      Delete
  2. I have to agree that trail you took does look a bit creepy. I would have been afraid to go down it alone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It didn't bother me a bit, 'til that movie came to mind as I was walking. lol

      Delete
  3. That trail did look rather creepy. You are a brave lady to venture that far!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Either that, or stupid?!! lol

      Delete
  4. I now am wondering just what those slabs were used for. Very strange indeed, and I'm glad you turned around before the weariness from the spookiness took you over! Love the bird in the nest picture the best, but they are all good, as usual. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have said many times over and over, quit watching spooky movies...otherwise I'd probably be just fine. lol

      Delete
  5. OMG! as I read I was getting more and more afraid and thinking to myself, she goes on these dark trails ALONE... when I got to where you were feeling nervous I almost died of fright reading it.. I am the biggest scaredy cat on the planet. that is why I don't go hiking by myself. I think of what if's by the dozens, from stroke or heart attack to snakebites or a fall and fear of the two legged critters out there. it looks spookey in your pics and I know it had to feel that way.. about my tunnel story.
    we walked that trail with my parents many times. daddy taught me to shoot a rife, in the creek under the trestle. all I had to do was tell the teacher and hang behind and go out in the bushes. some things we never forget. my fond memories though are of my parents and my brother shooting tin cans, wading in the creek, sometimes sitting in it, not deep enough to swim.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It got a little 'iffy' for me too Sandra.

      Delete
  6. Oh WOW, Anni, I felt the eeriness of the place you walked by yourself. Thanks for sharing the granite images and beautiful forest which conjures up all sort of spooky ideas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank goodness the wind wasn't howling. I'd probably still have goose flesh.

      Delete
  7. You sure are my kind of hiker, I really enjoy a good adventure, a mystery even. Some say you never take a wrong turn, just a different, and new direction, perhaps these things are meant to be right?! Enjoy your weekend and more adventures. I think your photos are wonderful too, just my kind of journey!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish you'd been nearby, we both could've taken the back woods journey together.

      Delete
  8. I know exactly what happened. You wandered into the Twilight Zone! Cue the spooky theme song...How amazing, I am so curious about this place now. It must have been SOMETHING. I love the Spanish moss! I am GLAD you left, this does look spooky. But what an amazing find! Rod Serling would approve of this post for sure. I love how you got the flock of birds right in between the wires!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL....Twilight Zone....gotta love it.

      Delete
  9. I did not see the movie "Wrong Turn" but I do remember reading something about standing stones and barrow-wights in "The Lord of the Rings" books. Glad you got out safely!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't think I'll be watching that movie but I love going on the backroads and finding an out of the way spot to explore! Beautiful photos! Not a zombie in sight! lol Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, I so loved that place...are you one to normally get afraid of things? You have never struck me that way. Sometimes we just need to pay attention to our women's intuition!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, normally, I don't scare easily...growing up with three brothers cured me from being sissified. I guess.

      Delete
  12. Some of those trails sound like they would be better if you had a walking partner.I know, that I am more cautious when I'm out alone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I started thinking too much about it all.

      Delete
  13. Yes, it was kind of creepy in there but yet interesting although I am glad it was you and not me in there. Nice pics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol... I like your way of thinking.

      Delete
  14. Scared me! Photo #9 is in the shape of the top of a tombstone! Glad you got outta there and back to good vibe areas.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This place was quite eerie even though John and I did drive on to some country roads where sometime we didn't know where we were. Often times we wondered about things we saw like that picture on a cement clock that looked like a tombstone without names engraved.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Not clock but block.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yes - that area would have given me the creeps too. Glad you got out and are ok! You did take some gorgeous pictures though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...it WAS pretty back in there...'til I started imagining things.

      Delete
  18. I was scared just reading your words and seeing the pics! Glad you escaped to safety and we are not reading or hearing about you in the news tonight!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol...headlines: hootin anni disappears in the back woods...story at 10.

      Delete
  19. That trail did seem a little creepy. I wouldn't have walked down it!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love exploring strange places!!!

    ReplyDelete

.