MEME Links are on one page-Use TAB on the menu bar, above!




Caution! High Winds!!!

All day Saturday, I ended up doing laundry and helping with the beginnings of gutting out our two car garage [only room for ONE car tho...so much junk stored there]. We did one complete wall and part of another. By that time, tossing stuff that hasn't been used in years went in the trash bins...in no time the two trash bins and our recycle bin were filled to the brim.

We ache a bit from lifting and bending and sweeping and dusting and more lifting. You wouldn't believe just how much a coffee can weighs when filled with 'come in handy' bolts and screws and what-nots!! And Bud has 8 of 'em on just one shelf!! Oh my oh my. Why, just moving the huge vice to get the sawdust accumulation out from behind gave me a hernia. [kidding!]

There are two things on the one complete wall that we just couldn't part with...Bull horns and an antique saddle frame! They were both full of cobwebs and mucky-muck. Bud drew the short straw and now has to clean 'em up. When they're clean I'll photograph them and share. Besides they'll look good on the fireplace hearth since our living room is 'western'.

Okay, that brings me to Sunday. The sky was clear, but we both rec'd alerts on our smartphone for a high wind warning. I wasn't about to let that stop me from driving to the islands, at dark o'thirty. As I made it over the JFK causeway bridge and dropped down, the sky to the east was getting light. "If I hurry a bit, I'll catch the sun peeking over the dunes!"

I did...




...by the time I arrived at the beach in Port A, the predicted winds were imminent. Gusty. So gusty there were no birds hardly at any of the favorite refuges. That was okay...I would've probably seen the usual birds and nothing new anyway. I was just happy to get outdoors and get some fresh air without breathing the sawdust of yesterday. Tho, at the beach I got quite a bit of sand blown in my face and ears while wearing a hooded sweatshirt...the wind was even picking up the WET sand and blowing it around the beach. lol

Walking the boardwalk was a challenge keeping my balance by the time I was half way through to trail! My estimation was about 55MPH with gusts!!  The channel for ships to port was topped with white caps [usually quite calm except for the wake of ships passing through]. Here is some of what I sighted in on while walking...



The above is the ship channel...normal calm and smooth!



The last photo in this series, the bluff, there are two birds in the photo...one obvious...a seagull in the left top center of the sky...but with my binoculars I spied another! A Reddish Egret near the water's surface. Can you see it? Look closely. No? Okay then, it's about dead center near the bottom of the cliffs....

I zoomed in with my camera, trying to hold myself steady enough to get a clear image....





I only stayed out and about just a few hours; step tally short of 10K by about 1200 steps. Driving home, I had to stop at the grocery store for milk. I thought..."Why not get us a couple of donuts for a special treat?" The store's bakery makes the most delicious chocolate fudge frosting on their raised donuts, they're hard to resist. After all the work we did yesterday, we deserved the lethal stuff!! For the reasons of being chocolate [the caffeine is a 'no go' for my heart health diet] and being fried in fat, we don't get these but maybe 3 times a year! We love 'em tho. This evening's meal is called 'What the Heck'....pork roast with broiled parsnips, tossed salad with carrot raisin salad topping, mashed potatoes and brown gravy! Dessert? Guess!!!

22 comments :

  1. Aren't donuts just awesome! I am on a diet, and just cannot look when we go past the donut case in the grocery store. I literally have to turn my head away! I think it feels so good after we are done straightening up and throwing away. Did you ditch any of those coffee cans? I love the ship channel picture!! And your glorious picture of the sun setting over the land. Those are my two favorites. You can see the bands of different colored sun rays!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Condensed some...down to five cans.

      Delete
  2. The photos of the sunrise are just gorgeous! The water looks fierce with those choppy waves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It did look and sounded fierce.

      Delete
  3. It's really windy here too. Had to pick up bird houses and feeders. I hate it when the wind blows like that. Have a nice week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll be in my thoughts this week!

      Delete
  4. You definitely deserved that treat! We got that wind today (not that hard, but gusty, whitecaps on the River...) and we stayed IN.... you were very brave to go out onto the beach in all that weather.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That water looks very choppy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You did great and an occasional treat is ok! The sunrise photos are so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mari...the donut was delicious by the way.

      Delete
  7. Awesome captures and another wonderful post -- as always!! Hope all is well with you and your family, Anni! Things have been busy, but I do hope to get back to bloggin' before too much longer. Have a great new week!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Sylvia...so good to see your comment. How is that new grandson of yours?

      Delete
  8. That sunrise is so pretty. That second picture of the water really shows the extent of the winds strength.
    Dessert? My guess is you skipped it because you ate the donut BEFORE you ate your dinner...lol
    Tablet vs laptop vs desktop- I could never give up my desktop because it's where I do the photo editing. I've used the laptop for blog reading and email because it's had the convenience of being portable. I could go anywhere to do that stuff (the couch, out on the deck or wherever) I LOVE the tablet for it's size. I have it in a case that folds in to a stand so I don't even actually have to hold it. The only inconvenience for me is the typing. I'm not good at typing on a screen. I'm much better with a keyboard. I could buy a separate keyboard for it and might do that eventually

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I value your input. Thanks Ann

      Delete
  9. Oh Anni I feel your pains. Before the remodeling started last June 2016 we cleaned out our garage....along with all our closets in the house.
    Grueling.
    Look at those choppy waters.
    Hugs Madi and mom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. pain...grueling....that just 'bout sums it up!

      Delete
  10. the sun rising is beautiful and my favorite is the white caps. they are fantastic. they look wet to the touch on my screen. not sure why ann was commenting on computers, but that could have been me typing her comment. the donuts are delish and sinful but we all need one once in a while... we had horrible storms last night, wind gusts to 60 and 70 and a tornado on the ground 5 miles south of us right at bed time. phone calls and tablet and phone alerts just as we were going to bed. we have 5 large trees, any one of which if it falls will land on the house. the wind howled all night, waking me up 4 times.

    I think Michaels has iron on embroidery patterns and I am betting google search will find some to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll check 'em out online! Thanks Sandra.

      Oh my word, I'd probably would've been up all night with a storm like that!!

      Delete
  11. Wow! Now that was a real adventure. Love the picture of the water all churned up. You are an amazing person, Anni! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The channel water was a bit startling since it's always so calm and glass like.

      Delete

.