“A wise old owl lived in an oak;
The more he saw the less he spoke;
The less he spoke the more he heard...
Why can't we all be like that bird?”
― Edward Hersey Richards




my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes






...And So Goes My Morning

It was overcast early Monday morning, with a promise of sunshine by mid morning. I left in the dark, just before sunrise and headed to the islands. By the time I arrived at Magee Beach via the beach access road 1 by the golf course, the sun had already made its appearance, the clouds were breaking, but a fine misty fog lingered here and there in patches helping to keep the vivid colors in the sky. I stopped and took photos before going into town for some walking and birding. I also had in mind to just linger along the jetty to people watch, walk, and perhaps see a ship or two come in and hopefully some playful dolphins at the ships' bows....

Magee Beach

After making a couple of stops at my favorite birding refuges....


Common Gallinule [Moorhen] & White Ibis with juvenile to its right


White Faced Ibis & Little Green Heron


...I drove to South Jetty. It was still just a bit foggy which made the ships' leaving and arrival a bit of mystery. But the dolphins didn't care about the weather, they were having a grand ol' time of it.


LEAVING the Port to open waters, dolphins bid them adieu ...




ARRIVING in the mist, the dolphins meet and greet...





After spending a little over an hour watching and snapping photos, the mist turned to some hard raindrops, I got up from my perch and rushed to the car to seek shelter, as I opened the door, I took one last look to find Lydia Ann Lighthouse, expecting to NOT see it through the heavy air, but there she was...



31 comments :

  1. Great pictures! Those dolphins sure do look like they know how to have fun. Thanks for sharing your wonderful morning, Anni! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a nice morning. I love the quite solitude on days like this. Thanks D J

      Delete
  2. the ships in the fog are amazing. love them all. and did you notice in 2 of the dolphins photos it appears there is a giant boot about to step on them? I love both those photos and the dolphins are wonderful.. what a way to start your day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to scroll up....of course, you're right - then, I had to ask Bud if he saw the boot. "No"....men!!!

      Delete
  3. Amazing photos, Anni. The dolphins sure give a performance. Greetings Jo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...that they do. I love being on the channel when the big ships come in. It's almost a given to see dolphins then. Thanks Jo

      Delete
  4. An adventuress is who you are! Wonderful pictures of the dolphins. I'm favoring the ship in the fog with the heron on the beach. What fun you had!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked that 'scene' too Ms. G!!! The heron sets it off.
      Thanks!!

      Delete
  5. OH my GOSH, I am absolutely blown away! Your first pictures of the sunrise and the birds are so gorgeous, that would have been enough. But you go on with maybe even better pictures!! It is a world of beauty! Dolphins playing in the mist, and the couple that are synchronized together, then the lighthouse, such a moody photo! You have outdone yourself!! Each picture is a gem. Visiting you is like looking through a National Geographic magazine, only maybe better!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My goodness Ginny! Thank you so much for all this positive feedback

      Delete
  6. Wow how cool to be able to see dolphins like this. Why do they jump around the ships like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was always told that a ship/boat stirs up the water and attracts fish to near the surface that dolphins hunt down....but, I think it's just for the fun of it.

      Thanks Felicia

      Delete
  7. Awesome pictures.The Dolphins make me smile.It's almost like they are playing a game.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know....it looks like they have a lot of fun, frolicking in the bow wave.

      Delete
  8. I love seeing your bird shots and the dolphins! Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my gosh, beautiful and interesting photos. Love the dolphins and green heron. What a fun day this must have been. Love how they just go on and on. So much to share with us. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they'll follow the ship's bow wake forever it seems. Thanks Judy.

      Delete
  10. Makes me think of the song - "Oh what a beautiful morning, oh what a beautiful day!" I really enjoyed your photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mari....now for some reason I'll be humming this song for most of the day.

      Delete
  11. Wonderful photos. Thank you for sharing your Monday morning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anu --- love your owl images today.

      Delete
  12. Great photos, every one of them!
    My favorite is the Heron with the ship in the background
    Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  13. how wonderful morning that is. And to see the dolphins playing is a treat. Not sure I have see the white-faced ibis before. Nice catch :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks...glad you enjoyed it all.

      Delete
  14. Love the ships in the fog

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello, I love the gorgeous sunrise. A lovely start to your day. The birds are great, the Ibis and Green Heron are favorites. Have a happy day, enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too favor the green heron.

      Delete
  16. I sure hope that heading South to Florida in two weeks I will get the opportunity to see some of the beautiful and fascinating kinds of birds that you see in Texas...such all so wonderful.. Have a great weekend Anni~

    ReplyDelete

.