“A wise old owl lived in an oak;
The more he saw the less he spoke;
The less he spoke the more he heard...
Why can't we all be like that bird?”
― Edward Hersey Richards




my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes

CLICK IMAGES FOR ENLARGEMENT SLIDESHOW





What A Difference A Month Makes...

It's been less than a month since I've walked the Oso Bay area....and the other day there were surprises. No big deal, but in my opinion, there are even more improvements. The Oso Bay Wetlands has been under construction for over three years. It was a Bond Issue that was approved...an open chaparral area that butts up against an inlet of Oso Bay, set aside for a learning center for school aged children, and a vast trail system that meanders through the desert land before it comes to an end at the bay inlet. The first thing completed was a large elevated observation deck that looks out into the salt water; giving ample sights of shorebirds and waders, along with hawks, deer, bobcats, and those slithery things [like snakes and large black salamanders that become food for the raptors and herons alike]. The learning center has now opened to the public along with a playground, pond, and building that houses artifacts, etc. There are miles of trails, jutting off the main track. And several wooden, covered decks that allow us views of the vistas surrounding. What's new you ask? MORE decks are being built. I found two new ones and as I walked one back trail the other day, they were building a third!! I took photos as I walked my 10,000 plus steps uphill, downhill, and checking out the new platforms....sighting in on birds such as crested caracaras, gnatcatchers, warblers, cardinals, sandhill cranes, herons, pelicans, mockingbirds, egrets and more. So many photos once again I thought I'd make a couple of collages instead of posting each individually. They're large-sized and may not fit your monitor's dimensions if you choose to click on them, but you can get the gist of what more I saw that day----




44 comments :

  1. What a fabulous place to walk! Always something interesting. Love the catbird. And just that large abundant grassland.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. catbird=mockingbird. And yes, a fabulous place most times.

      Delete
  2. Enjoyed your pictures, as always.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really wish I had places like that around here to walk. I would have a better chance of getting my 10,000 steps in on my days off

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish we had more places!

      Delete
  4. Nice! The larger pictures fit my monitor, and I gazed at them with pleasure. Thanks, Anni! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. my favorite shot is the cow.. I love cows like you love birds. this place is perfect for 10,000 steps and building covered decks is good because of the hot sun during summer months. I wish I could make myself go by myself to places like this like you do. we have many many places like this but I will not go without someone with me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Y'know...I enjoy the 'alone' time.

      Delete
  6. So true, sometimes especially in Minnesota things can change drastically in a day too! Another great bunch of photos too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't expecting so many different 'new' things so quickly.

      Delete
  7. VERY nice! Good progress and improvements. You are so fortunate to have a place such as that near you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So many areas...always changing.

      Delete
  8. Wow! Such a great wetlands. Loved the photos. Well, Anni, you are a doll for trying to help me out, but I have actually changed to Blogger on my Settings. I will be curious to see if it takes you to Google when you click on my comment. Just to let you know, when I click on your comment, it takes me to Google, also. Now that people's blogs are no longer under "About" unless there is a recent post one can click on, there's no way to access your blog from the Google page. When I click on your link on my sidebar it tells me your blog no longer exists (even though I changed the http to https....it will however allow one to link to your memes, and if I click on your Profile, it will take me to that page where I clicked and got on your other blog. It's ridiculous that we have to go through all this now! Thanks for trying to help me. It's so annoying! But we shall endeavor to persevere! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never liked google plus...so unfriendly & too cliquey.

      Delete
  9. Hi! OK, Jennifer's info didn't help. I couldn't find an "Options" or even a "My Blogs" but Russell is on the phonje with a computer savvy friend who just told me to go to my Google+ page, click on settings on the left side, scroll to the bottom where it says remove Google+ and I did so. Tell me how it looks on your end. I still get your Google+ when I click on your comment so you will have to do what I did, and so will everyone else who is annoyed with this whole thing! :-) Anyway, let me know....Thanks again!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No...I don't need to do anything...in order for you to get visitors/commentors you need to get away from google plus.

      Delete
    2. That's why all comment links take you to our + urls

      Delete
  10. You have some wonderful shots. I would enjoy walking in an area like this. We just don't have those around here.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just so much to see. I would love to be able to wander in your footsteps and gaze at the wildlife.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ....there is a lot of it in this area.

      Delete
  12. I love your photos! animals are beautiful and you Always have the most beautiful photos of nature. :)
    happy days to you,
    Marie

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wonderful photography of your nature walk ~ such gems we have in nature ~ thanks,

    Wishing you Happy Days ahead ~ ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fabulous -- wish I was there! Always happy to see improvements to places like this going on ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure it looks a bit familiar to you since you've wintered in this area.

      Delete
  15. Wonderful photos!
    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great collages.What you describe, sounds like a place I would love to visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a good area to do some walking and exploring.

      Delete
  17. I checked out the Oso Bay map and checked against Geocaching dot com. They are four geocaches on the preserve including one that looks close to the parking lot. If I ever get down there to visit my brother I'm bringing my map and my GPSr!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hello, Anni, this wetland parks sounds fabulous. A great place to walk and see the birds.
    Love the collages. Enjoy your day and the week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Loved the pictures and loved your hair too in the picture :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Such lovely shots.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great place to walk.. Thank you for your kind comment on my hawk photo Anni.... Michelle

    ReplyDelete

.