my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out


Sunday Driver!!!!

 NEWS FLASH!  It has recently, finally....RAINED!!

Sunday morning, when I checked the TX Bird report, I noticed that there were those cute little boogers, the Upland Sandpipers, in our vicinity. Four of them were seen at Tule Lake; about 10 miles from home just off the interstate. They're returning for the winter! I've only seen them once since I've been photographing birds in the last three and a half years [so far, the only photos I've taken are seen with the link I added above]. I'm so ready to see more! They have become one of my favorites. With their plumage, and their bulbous eyes, they're so darned cute. Anyway, with the report, I asked Bud if he wanted to drive along for the hunt. He said, "No, I'll stay home and clean the kitchen floor and vacuum the carpet to get up all the cat hairs!" That to me, is a win-win situation!! I get to go out for a leisurely Sunday drive, while the man of the house cleans for me.

By the time I reached the on ramp for the interstate just off the Padre Island Freeway it had rained and the highway would be slick. I slowed down my speed. At my exit to Tule Lake, it was blocked off...police cars and tow trucks and firetrucks everywhere...an accident. So I continued on to the next exit and backtracked on the back roads to the lake. No sandpipers. But there were other water birds there...wood storks, egrets, spoonbills, both white and brown pelicans, some swallows, stilts, and other sandpipers. I concentrated on photographing the wood storks [seen in this photo] for the most part. I then got back in the car and drove the rough road that goes between the lake and the ship channel. I know a 'hidden' spot where there is a pond and lots of cattail reed grasses, all in hopes of seeing more bird life. There, I spotted several swallows, a few sandpipers and yellowlegs, along with ONE green heron.

Back in the car again, I decided to continue on the interstate to Calallen Texas [a suburb of Corpus Christi] and head to Bazemore Park. The 14th was the first, opening day, for the Fall Hawk Watch. Upon arriving I noticed several vehicles parked at the hawk watch platform at such an early hour, I was a bit surprised. I signed in for them [the more people that sign in, the more funding they get for their cause], and then I left to do some walking around the park. Besides, the morning was gray and drizzly, the hawks would be high above the cloud cover, I'm sure of it.  The two ponds were quite vacant. A lone great blue heron, a snowy egret, a tri-color heron, and a couple of black necked stilts. I walked to the new boardwalk that meanders along the river and traverses through the oak trees covered in Spanish Moss. It was quiet there. I LIKE QUIET. Again, tho, not much bird activity. A few flycatchers, the king bird, the scissortailed, and more swallows. The river was slow moving...it was if I was taken aback through the swamps of Louisiana. By the time I was finished with my walking, I figured the accident was cleaned up by now and the traffic snarl, with all the gawkers on both sides, in each direction, would be no longer...I headed home. But not without tons of photos to upload to the computer for blogging...and more bird  photos of the day will be shared on my bird photo blog, I'd Rather B Birdin', in due time.  But today I share what else was seen, at least a partial part of the morning ---

The Great Kiskadees were loud with song [yellow bird in the following series of photos]! It seemed they were in every tree around! Dropping down off the park's road, walking through the hidden trails that overlook one of the larger ponds, I spotted one and waited for it to sing for me..."Kissssss k dee"...




...Before the River and through the woods, a vast opening appears. Of tall grasses and another smaller pond. A beautiful Whitetailed Doe hopped in front of my car.



- - -

After walking along the newly fenced boardwalk, and getting clear of the oak trees near the car again, another doe showed up. This time up close and personal before dashing into the field beyond the park road. She was beautiful!! Stopping to take it all in, I respected the silent beauty of it all, the gorgeous deer, the quiet morning, the bird song, the cloud cover keeping the temperatures of a late Summer day much cooler, it was quite a perfect morning. Just wished I'd seen the Upland Sandpipers tho...





...the last image, look closely, between the tree and grass line...
-the Nueces River-

- - -





Sorry...the fifth photo in this series, I think we need to do a bit of Charmin™ Squeezing.



48 comments :

  1. I really love the color of the fence and railing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's kinda 'new'. I'm sure once it's weathered some, it'll turn gray. lol

      Thanks Bruce.

      Delete
  2. Hello Anni, the Wood Storks are cool birds, I love seeing them. The deer are pretty critters. The new boardwalk looks nice. Happy Thursday, enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they are...so ugly and prehistoric, they're cool.
      Thanks Eileen.

      Delete
  3. such a pretty area! love the walkways and the sweet deer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. Deer are scarce in our area!

      Delete
  4. Love your pictures and your description of your excursion. Pretty deer, even a cute butt. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. you always have the best outings...what is that white column? is it an abandoned house?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. click on any of my images and they will enlarge...that 'white column' is part of a hidden look-out onto the lake.

      Delete
  6. I love the photo of the storks they are one of my favorite Birds. I've never seen a kiskadee and wow what a bird that is. I like quiet too. Love the deer would like to see them myself

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. if you like that photo...wait 'til you see the zoomed in photos I got that day. Oh yes...quiet is the BEST!!

      Delete
  7. Thank you so much for sharing all this beauty! I love them all but the yellow bird is my favorite pic in your post. Hope you are in a good health and, yes, I LOVE all your comments on my blog.My English is a bit poor and I am very glad you are coming back again and again. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you stopped by here today too, Jedidja.

      Delete
  8. Wonderful views of nature.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You can tell that the fence is rather new by the color.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Anni!:) I enjoyed reading your descriptive narrative about your mornings walk, and felt that I was with you all the way. The peace and quiet of the woods except for the birdsong, the beautiful scenes all around, and then the unexpected appearance of the Whitetailed Doe's, Wow!! A lovely series of photos Anni, and the walkway looks good too.

    It's kind of funny because when I read your Title, I though Oh boy, here comes another Anni rant about Sunday Drivers perhaps, how wrong was I!! But I can't stand them,...just saying!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sure was good to see you at my place this morning...xoxo
    I'm glad you live where you do so that you can enjoy your bird watching .....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi BJ....it's great to have you stop by!!

      Delete
  12. Oh Dear we love the deer photos!! Great captures.
    WE had about 1/10" last night. The ground was so dry you could hardly tell it rained.
    Hugs Madi and mom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It rained here....I have no idea just how much, but I can honestly say it wasn't nearly enough. Thanks M&M

      Delete
  13. What a very pleasant outing you had. I love seeing deer in the wild, they are so graceful looking. - I'm still trying to figure out what you wanted us to look for in the photo between the tree/grassline. - Very nice looking boardwalk there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...just the little showing of the river behind all the trees.

      Delete
  14. Your Spanish Moss pictures are beautiful! We have none here, and I have never seen any except in pictures. I love the beauty of the overgrown steps and quiet path. Speaking of Great Kiskadees, are there Lesser ones? And if so, have you seen any? A beautiful walk!! I am so glad you took us with you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No....there isn't a LESSER Kiskadee.

      Thanks Ginny

      Delete
  15. Oh your photos make me smile and dance they are priceless. Lucky lady to be surrounded by such beauty. B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I went hawk hunting today....found two species...it IS a great area of the USA for birders.

      Delete
  16. Great place with a lot to see

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed!! Thanks for stopping by to visit.

      Delete
  17. We love to watch the deer, especially in the early morning dancing and prancing on the front lawn. Glad you got a glimpse of their antics. I especially love your "Stairway to Nature's Unknown" photo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks....yes, I so enjoy seeing deer around this area ... especially since they ARE scarce.

      Delete
  18. Sounds like a perfect day. I especially like the husband staying home and cleaning. Around here he may say it but it never actually happens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bud would rather stay home these days and clean instead of getting out in the heat.

      Delete
  19. Hurray to the rain! Over here pretty hot weather too. Hope will rain too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, hurray!!! We need more tho.

      Delete
  20. Wonderful photos of the deer!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Look at that beautiful new fencing! And the deer are so very pretty. Enjoy your day sweet lady! Hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, hope you're enjoying your day too.

      Delete
  22. You are such a dedicated birder, Anni. And it pays off, love your pictures!
    ~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. dedicated maybe....obsessed, yes! lol

      Thanks!

      Delete
  23. Lovely shots! And hurray for the rain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Fiona. And we need much MORE wet stuff falling from the sky. Every little bit helps tho.

      Delete

.