my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out




Those Lazy Days of Summer

"I stayed up all night to see where the sun went, hoping once it left it'd cool things down...and then, it dawned on me!!"

I figured since the Summer days linger and the heat remains...I would call this post the Lazy Days of Summer just 'cause.  Not much outdoor activity again this week...




PURPLE PANSY PORTRAIT

Okay, so getting the sun pun out of my system, I've really been thinking of Springtime instead of the inferno we've been having this summer! So, as I sat at my desk with the hum of the air conditioner boring me, and the 'artificial' breeze cooling me off; keeping me comfortable, I drew a little bit of the season I was dreaming about...



- - -
TODAY'S LESSON

Did you know at one time the English Language had twenty-seven letters in the alphabet; instead of the 26 we have today? The ampersand was developed along with the rest of the language, reaching back to the 1st century, when Romans would occasionally combine the letters E and T into a similar symbol, representing the word 'et' meaning 'and' [what comes to mind is the line in Shakespeare's Julius Caesar "Et tu Brute?" when Caesar lay dying from his assassination, his friend/and foe, Brutus, was in on the conspiracy] Et tu Brute translated means And You Brutus. Hence, the ampersand was included in the Old English alphabet which was still in use into medieval times. When Old English was discarded in favor of the modern English we are now familiar with, the ampersand maintained its status of being part of the alphabet - with some regions and dialects opting to include it until the mid-1800s. At that time it was not yet called an ampersand. The & sign was, rather, referred to simply as “and” — which made reciting the alphabet awkward. It seems odd to say “X Y Z and.” So, instead, our known vocabulary developed another saying: “X, Y, and Z, and by itself, ‘and'” — but instead of saying 'and by itself, and', the Latin phrase per sè came into favor. The result? 'And per sè, and,' or, muttered quickly 'ampersand'.

more on the original old English, the ampersand showed an eloquent style 'e t' version of written form as shown in the graphic


- - -

TV's FALL PREVIEW

This looks quite a bit 'refreshing'!! I watched the TV trailer of the new program that stars Michael Weatherly....called BULL...which has the season opener on CBS this Fall. Now, I don't watch any television any more since we have no cable, so I could be wrong on this assumption, but for me, the concept of a jury/trial consultant...a psychiatrist non the less, is a new idea [or at least not a 'cop show' that is saturating the airwaves]. So, I will be watching this series to see if I will continue to enjoy watching as I did the previews online. Altho, when I DO watch it, it will be online, a day AFTER it's aired on television.


- - -

MOVIE REVIEW

You may wish to skip this. It may be considered a spoiler to some. But since it's a remake of Ben-Hur [circa 1959], I'm sure most know the story and the outcome. I went to see BEN HUR at the theater yesterday [Friday] in great anticipation of another epic movie. Well, from the beginning here, I was quite disappointed. Yes, it's still an excellent story to be told, even tho fictionalized. But, let me say, I've watched the classic Ben Hur from the late 1950s era with Charlton Heston as Judah Ben Hur dozens of times...and comparing this new version, I can't be honest and say it was a noteworthy movie. To me it seemed that the director and sound advisor concentrated too much on special effects [the war at sea/chariot race] and sound effects... and it lacked in story telling. It didn't really follow the book[s] either. It seemed to be quickly written, ignoring quite a bit, skipping here and there, fast-forwarding through time without giving the movie goer a chance to catch up and realize what is happening before it happened. Like, back in the days of VHS when the celluloid had a kink somewhere in the playback....it skipped over some vital parts!!! It did NOT end as the book does...it did not show Jesus healing the lepers. One minute you have Ben Hur on the screen and before it fades from view, we have Jesus being arrested at Gethsemane!! Then, very little of the thorn crown/walking to the crucifixion..It was like the entire movie was in fast forward mode, and after editing to make it a movie for the theater release...."Oh oh -...2 1/2 hour movie already....time to go end it.  Cut!  And, that's a wrap!"  Too fast, too sloppy, too hurried, not enough to be excellent or epic...leaving us saying..."That's it?"  More or less, a set back instead of an improvement!!  Mr. Wallace [the author of the book] is probably rolling over in his grave.


SORRY SHE ASKED?

I watched a short 4 minute video online about  Terrorists...and comparing them to those numbers throughout history, Germans, Russians, Chinese, Japanese, 911, etc. As for this great land of ours and the concentration of becoming a weaker country politically because of political correctness, I tend to stand up, applaud, and cheer for the response to the question the student asked. If interested, as any American should be, check it out on my menu bar link [top just below the title graphic....Political SPOTLIGHT] and scroll down to the last entry, Peaceful Majority is Irrelevant]  Personally, I think America needs to stand up for her own, and regrow a couple if you get my drift!  We've become way too weak, and it's beginning to show....worldwide.

15 comments :

  1. I totally agree with you that the silent majority needs to make a stand now before it is too late. Thanks for your review of Ben Hur..I was wondering how it would stand against the first one. Your drawing is pretty- you are quite talented! NCIS has been one of "my" shows, and I was very upset when Cote left...and haven't really tuned back in until I heard Michael was leaving. I caught his swan song, and now I most likely won't watch the new episodes..only the reruns.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That makes two of us Terri!!!
      Hope your leg is feeling somewhat better by now.

      Delete
  2. I knew none of this about the & and now i do and understand it more. enjoyed that. i went to Bull ad looks like one i will DVR. thanks for the heads up. I have read several books about the person who helps with jury selection and this is a great idea. also thanks for sending me there because it reminded me to look up new shows on all the major channels to jot them down for the DVR..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think this new program has promise.

      Delete
  3. The sketch is gorgeous. Geez what a hot horrid summer we have had too. I cannot even imagine the humidity around the water.
    A friend of mine in France told me there will be a new subject taught in schools this year for all 14 years and older. "Terrorist Survival" Goodness me...
    Hugs all around Madi and Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks M&M!
      That bit of news on school/classes is astonishing!! Whoa.

      Delete
  4. I like your drawing. You are so talented.
    Very interesting about the ampersand. I never heard that before

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember this from English class.

      Delete
  5. Yes, you are a talented artist, and filled with interesting facts. I didn't know that about the ampersand. Nobody ever taught me that in English class! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The teacher I had in Jr. High School, I think, enjoyed trivia. She was always coming up with little tidbits. For some reason I remember this one. Thanks D J

      Delete
  6. I am so glad you have featured your drawing again! And that I can see the progression and how you start!! I had no idea about the ampersand! This new show does look really good, and with a new concept! So, it is based on the earlier life of Dr. Phil!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ginny....and yes, it's supposedly based on Dr. Phil's life somewhat.

      Delete
  7. Informative information regarding the ampersand. I use it often. I'm looking forward to Bull.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your sketch is quite lovely. You are very talented. Our movie selection this weekend was, War Dogs, which I actually enjoyed.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are so talented - that drawing is really beautiful!
    I found your alphabet info very interesting. I'd never heard that before.
    We are interestd in tat new show too, always enjoyed his character on NCIS.

    ReplyDelete

.