my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out


Show Off....

...all these to a friend and impress them!!


First the optical illusion:


  • There is something else in this picture besides the brick wall that is so obvious. Can you find it? Look closer...closer....closer. See it?







  • Give up? Answer is here






    Second, the challenge:

  • Have you ever heard of the Kaprekar's constant? It's a number! The number is 6174. Now, here's the challenge. Get a piece of paper and write down ANY four digit number - the only number combination that does NOT work is 1111 or any repetitive numbers...so, forget those combinations. Okay, for example, I am going to use the four digit number 6347. Now, with those four numbers, 6347, make the LARGEST combination of the very SAME numbers just written down. Which would be 7643. Subtract the SMALLEST 4 number combination from the original four which would be 3467. Your answer would be: 4176. Now the base number is 4176. Again, rearrange those four numbers to largest and smallest, subtracting the smaller from the larger number. 7641 minus 1467. What does that equal?

    6347...largest combination - 7643 minus the smallest combination - 3467. Equals 4176. Largest combination - 7641 minus the smallest combination - 1467. This equals the Kaperkar's constant number of 6174.

  • ORIGINAL NUMBER OF 6347
    -7643
    -3467
    -4176

    -7641
    -1467
    -6174 [Kaperkar's constant]

    Keep in mind two things: If your answer is only three digits always use a leading zero, AND it may take several iterations to accomplish the Kaprekar's constant.


    - - -more- - -

    2111 – 1112 = 0999
    9990 – 0999 = 8991 (rather than 999 – 999 = 0)
    9981 – 1899 = 8082
    8820 – 0288 = 8532
    8532 – 2358 = 6174

    9831 reaches 6174 after 7 iterations:

    9831 – 1389 = 8442
    8442 – 2448 = 5994
    9954 – 4599 = 5355
    5553 – 3555 = 1998
    9981 – 1899 = 8082
    8820 – 0288 = 8532 (rather than 882 – 288 = 594)
    8532 – 2358 = 6174

    4371 reaches 6174 after 7 iterations:

    7431 - 1347 = 6084
    8640 - 0468 = 8172 (rather than 864 - 468 = 396)
    8721 - 1278 = 7443
    7443 - 3447 = 3996
    9963 - 3699 = 6264
    6642 - 2466 = 4176
    7641 - 1467 = 6174

    ONE MORE NOTE...each answer to all math problems from the beginning...add the numbers and they'll always equal NINE [6084...6+8+4=18 ... 1+8 equals 9] [6174... 6+1+7+4=18...1+8 equals 9]







    ...Third, a Question

  • 1, 4, 5. 6. 7, 9, 11...What would be the next number in the series?

    Give up?









    The answer: 100 [the original sequence are numbers that have NO "T" in their spelling. TWO, THREE, EIGHT, TEN were skipped.] Hence, the next number in the sequence would be ONE HUNDRED



  • ...Fourth, Are you a birdbrain?

  • Y'all know I like birds...and I try and read what comes my way about them. The other day I got this...and remember, next time someone calls you a birdbrain...feel complimented!!! Ounce for ounce birds have significantly more neurons in their brains than mammals or primates That means their little tiny brains have MORE cognitive function per square inch than we humans have.
    Read More...


  • ...a Summertime Treat - It's no longer made from the original 'root' nor beer!!?


    A Root Beer Float! Icy cold root beer with vanilla ice cream is truly a summertime treat. Cold, refreshing, sweet!! BUT....did you ever wonder why the product root beer is called "BEER" when it doesn't contain alcohol? Well, here are some facts you may not know...



    1- derived from Medieval Times..."small beer" made from herbs, spices, bark and berries [containing alcohol by fermentation]
    2- root beer was created on accident by a pharmacist experimenting
    3- Charles Hires was the first one to come up with a recipe that was widely marketable [as root TEA]
    4- The “root” in the name of Hires’ concoction came from its main ingredient, the sassafras root
    5- today root beer typically contains an artificial sassafras flavor rather than the real thing

    6- SO, IT'S FALSE ADVERTISEMENT, right?








  • Read More on Root Beer











    50 comments :

    1. {{{giggling}}}--ok, you have way to much time on your hands {{{giggling}}}}. Thanks for the smiles this morning. Have a beautiful day.

      ReplyDelete
    2. Lordy, Anni! I wonder what you put in your "T" this morning! I'll have to give that Constant thing a try. :-)

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Oh, I've been collecting these five for a special Friday post for some time.

        Delete
    3. Wow, what a interesting post. I have to go through it again and try these on my family. Have a wonderful weekend.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Hope they appreciate your genius!!

        Delete
    4. Once again an impressive post. Have a great weekend.

      ReplyDelete
    5. Hahahahaha! totally brilliant, will try a couple of these on my husband x

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Being women, we both secretly hope he really puzzles over 'em before he gives up. lololol

        Delete
    6. yes it is false advertisement and now i know, i said to hubby that root beer doesn't taste like it did when we were children. now i know i am right. i thought the cigar was a snail or the butt of a frog... i skipped the entire number stuff because math and numbers makes me crazy really crazy.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. When I was just a kid, in a small podunk town in NE, there was a beer garden [Bier Garten]...very German, and we'd order our root beer floats...in the summer nights....VERY different as you said...not at all like it is made today.

        Delete
    7. the cigar is so tricky...i just saw the ash from it and thought it was a nest of some sort, it blended in so well but now that i know it is there i totally see it...i am passing on the math, i am the worst! love a root beer float though and that was interesting stuff! willy nilly is ready to link up now, thank you for playing along! have a great weekend!!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Hi Tanya...yep, I went over and signed in...I hope anyway, the Linking Tool disappeared after that. Maybe I jinxed it. lol

        Delete
    8. What a great post! Too much thinking on a lazy Friday. The cigar in the wall fooled me. I knew there was something there, but not sure what. Thanks for sharing the puzzles/facts.

      ReplyDelete
    9. Well you had me stumped! Great fun. :-)

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Hope you enjoyed a bit of a workout on the brain!?!!! Thanks.

        Delete
    10. Well that is one interesting post. I am just not into numbers but might try it when I need something to do. That was a puzzler, the cigar in the wall. I would have never guessed that. Interesting about the Root Beer float. I always liked those. Good for you to do all this.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Numbers/Math have always been fun for me. All the way to calculus. A r. b. float sounds good 'bout now.

        ReplyDelete

        Delete
    11. Good ways to test our brains at the end of the week! Thank you for joining Five On Friday, hope you have a great weekend!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thanks for dropping in and thanks for Hosting.

        Delete
    12. I see why you're called Hootin Anni. You really are A Hoot! I like numbers too, but not nearly so much as you do. And I love root beer floats. My son and daughter-in-law visited recently and my son and I polished off a 1/2 gallon of ice cream and a six-pack of A & W. My daughter-in-law is lactose intolerant, so we had it all to ourselves. Wonder how many pounds that converts to? I think I got more than my share. Pants are still too tight, and my kids left a week ago.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Bud...my husband doesn't like 'em....so I get to have it all. Yum.

        Delete
    13. I found the cigar but had no idea what it was. This was a fun post. Would you believe that I have never had a rootbeer float?

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Never? Well, you must at least try it. But if you don't like root beer then...I can understand.

        Delete
    14. All those numbers! I am off from teaching for the summer and can barely work on the checkbook! lol

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I don't mind playing with numbers at all...it's good for the brain. But when it comes to balancing a check book, I'm with you. Especially if it doesn't balance with the bank. lol

        Delete
    15. I saw it!
      I must admit, you drained my brain with all those numbers though. :)

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. so....a glass of good wine will be the right thing 'bout now? Well, later in the day of course. ;o)

        Delete
    16. Well math and my brain just don't mix. Now I think I need a Root Beer!

      ReplyDelete
    17. Very good! I was never any good at maths. Will have to try that root beer float.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. If you like root beer and ice cream, I'm sure you'll enjoy a float.

        Delete
    18. Anni, that numbers thing gave me a headache! The root beer float sounds good. My mom talked about making root beer back on the farm, but I don't have a recipe.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Wow...to have 'home made root beer' would be wonderful.

        Delete
    19. The math made my brain hurt! :-) Guess I'm a true birdbrain...not the birds, who apparently are wonderfully smart! :-) I knew this about root beer (well, most of it) Sassafras is now considered toxic, which is such a shame, because if collected in the spring from young roots, it's not toxic at all! But, then you can't tell our over-reaching government anything! :-) Fun post...sorry I've been so absent. Though I'll be on the blogs, some, I won't be back in force until well after the move. I hope everyone can hang in there with me! :-)

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Oh Marie....don't get me started on ANYTHING dealing with the government of ours.

        Delete
    20. *waving* am waving white flag here. Number is definitely not my strong point , especially at this time of the night. LOL.

      Have a great weekend!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. ...the sign of surrender? Don't give up.

        Delete
    21. I LOVE the root beer story! I never knew that, and I am putting it on the church info line! And YES, we are both bird brains!!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. That's good Ginny....science proves that birds are VERY smart.

        Delete
    22. The math made my head ache. We had Root Beer Floats this week, liked the info on root beer.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I haven't made myself one yet this season...but will. Very soon.

        Delete
    23. Is a dingbat the same as birdbrain? My mother always made her own root beef in glass canning jars and I believe she used sassafras root. I can remember chewing bark from that tree.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I don't think I've ever tasted the REAL stuff.

        LOL to the dingbat/birdbrain reference.

        Delete
    24. I'm visiting you from "One Saylor's Log" near Portland, Oregon, thanks to Amy's Link Up and I enjoyed your challenging Five on Friday post. I am fairly certain I would never figure out the answer to 3 on my own :)

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thanks for stopping by Gracie.

        Delete

    .