my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out


Packery Flats

There is one area along the island highway that I've always driven by and vowed each time to stop and walk the 'trail' on the way back....but never have, until last month. It was a cloudy, windy, overcast day and I thought that this would be a good time to explore the section of land 'cause the snakes would be huddled up in some cavity keeping warm and out of the cold wind. I have a method to my madness. lol

Anyway, the area is all part of the state park, Mustang State Park...it's called Packery Flats. Not to be confused with Packery Channel Park that is on the other side of the bridge that crosses the channel....but not the same bridge in the photo seen below [a 2nd water crossing of the channel, not the causeway].

I didn't expect to see many birds that day 'cause of the weather AND the migrants have, for the most part, left for the north and breeding grounds. But, as I walked the flats, I did spy a few year 'round residents.  A couple of tri colored herons, a willet, and a white morph reddish egret...




...the area, being right on sea level for the most part, when it rains heavily, which we had several flooding storms in mid-May, the 'flats' fill with water and become areas that the birds flock to in search of food. The following images are what the scenery looked like ahead of me as I walked. The photo of the bridge in the distance is JFK Causeway. The causeway crosses the intercoastal 'salt water stream' from Brownsville Texas to Galveston Texas. If you were to want to go to the islands from Corpus Christi, this is the only way ---by crossing the bridge...

37 comments :

  1. Hi Anni, it is me, back for a visit...still hobbling around, making my way, what can I say ;) Hope that you are doing well. I love that you have such a variety of birds down your way in Texas. For the most part we have just the locals for now and in the deep woods where I live, you hear them, more often than view them. I have until July 11 before I can bare any weight on my right leg, so it is rather quiet for me at this moment. Hugs to you~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mary....long time no see....
      Just take the time needed to heal so nothing bad will happen later on.

      Delete
  2. Nice capture of the egrets, Anni. And I like that cool bridge! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to fret having to drive over it...but being there just about every day going to the islands...it's a piece of cake now. lol

      Delete
  3. I am a huge fan of willets. I love to watch them on the beach... you took a gray day and made it a happy day.. ha ha on the snakes in the caves and out of your way... beautiful bridge.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your trip was well worth it! These birds are all new to me! So of course I loved looking! I have never heard of a tri-colored. We mostly ave the great blue and white. It is awesome!! And your last picture is moody and beautiful. It would make a good wall hanging. Happy Sunday from one bird brain to another!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL on the two birdbrains...you and me, we are birds of a feather...right? Glad you enjoyed all this today Ginny.

      Delete
  5. I just noticed your heart attack page and went straight to it. How scary!! I am so glad you are alive and well. You know why they keep the O.R. so cold? So germs and bacteria cannot grow. It is freezing in there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Being so cold is one of the stronger memories of the whole experience. Thanks so much for the support and good, happy words for me to read. Hugs.

      Delete
  6. It may have been a cloudy day but looks like you made the best of it. Love the picture of the bridge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. cloudy....equals....not too hot outside! LOL

      Delete
  7. I admire your energy and determination to do so much walking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Walking, if I can...not only gives me exercise, but it's always so peaceful and I can be quiet in my own thoughts.

      Delete
  8. Wonderful coastal walk, Anni! Glad you finally did it. Yep, the Trader Joe's on Oracle. I am just "barely" back, but hoping to hang in there till I am settled in to my new home and have time to explore and photograph like crazy! Hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I shopped there often!!
      Hey...read about Phoenix and the soaring temps....stay cool!!!

      Delete
  9. ANNI YOU HAVE THE MOST BEAUTIFUL PLACES TO WALK AND BIRD WATCH.
    PACKERY FLATS IS A CATCHY NAME TOO
    HUGS MADI AND MOM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I kinda liked the name too. Didn't know the area was even NAMED 'til I actually stopped there. lol

      Delete
  10. Looks like a lovely place to explore. (Minus the snakes!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. exactly....I really, really hate snakes.

      Delete
  11. Goodness, that looks like such a great place to walk and I used to love seeing the egrets when I lived in Charleston, S.C. Great pictures of the birds and that huge bridge too. Bet that was a nice walk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a nice place. There are so many areas to stop and enjoy nature.

      Delete
  12. What a place ~ so glad you stopped and got such great photos!

    Wishing you a Happy Week ~ ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great photos of a very interesting area and of course the water birds are especially great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mick...welcome back to blogging.

      Delete
  14. Great birds, great spot, great memories!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love these walks with you - the birds are so wonderful - and all that water is, too! The bridge is amazing! (I love bridges :) x Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed it Karen.

      Delete
  16. What a cool place - and such beautimous birds! ;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure by now tho, it's dried up quite a bit...but until next rainy season, I'll return often.

      Delete
  17. Nice photos. I like to see the a willet. Nice area!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love the shot of the bridge!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you for including the extra info as it is not a part of the country I have been to...Michelle

    ReplyDelete

.