my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out


Sketching - Shopping - Sighting Birds

Yesterday, I was told about an art contest which artists are to use any art medium [I used my colored pencils that are sitting around for my coloring books...lol] and submit Texas Native Plants or Wildflowers. I know I don't have a chance to win 'cause I've seen some of the local artwork on displays and exhibits in galleries. No matter....it gave me something to do since the morning air was cold and bitter and I wanted to wait before I went out for my daily walking routine. This wildflower is seen just about everywhere!! It's called a Fire Wheel [or, aka, Indian Blanket]. And, it's become one of my favorites. I used the image I shared in my previous post as a guide for color and form. This is the result and my entry in the contest. Winners won't be chosen until late February by email I guess...


Fire Wheel


My walking hikes this past couple of days consisted of getting my 10000 steps in yesterday at the MALL. Big mistake. Friday!! Afternoon!! It was packed!!! I walked around the two levels three times and still came up short on total. But, I had to get out of there. lol I'm not one for crowds. Especially when they all act like they know not where they want to go and stop right in front of you...or stop and chat, blocking the pathway. I did go into Forever XXI, and bought me a gold chain for a locket that needed to be replaced. Then...got out and headed for the grocery store. There I picked up my daily total. The mall walkers were a bit too 'squirrely' for me to cope with for long...



On Thursday, the wind was even MORE COLD. Bud stayed home and being that he can't take cold at his age, I was glad he decided to be a homebody for the day. In fact it was so cold and windy that I cut my walking short. But I really REALLY spotted a LOT of birds. In the short time I was out in the wind I tallied around thirty different species!!! Got plenty of photos of course. But, my down vest and stocking cap wasn't keeping me warm enough, I left for home after about an hour. Some panoramic views from just one area - - -



White Ibis


Egrets, Blue Heron, Avocets



Ibis, Egrets, Avocets


Blue Heron and Roseate Spoonbill


Avocets and White Ibis


White Ibis, Egrets, Avocets and Stilts


- - - the remaining images I'll save for my birding blog.

48 comments :

  1. awesome, hope you win

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well......thanks Denise. I really don't think I have a chance tho, there are too many others much more talented.

      Delete
  2. Hello Anni!:) Well done,I like it a lot, and I also hope you win. I recognize the flower from your walk on your last post, and thought it looked like a cultured plant amongst the weeds.You caught some lovely lift off shots of the birds.:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks...they do look so pretty amongst the weeds...but to be truthful, I consider them weeds. lol

      Delete
  3. I absolutely LOVE your drawing and hope you win!! I didn't realize you were in to coloring...I have so many books now, it is difficult to know which ones to pick! What kind of pencils did you use for the drawing? I'd like to try some of the new watercolor pencils, but haven't yet. Happy Weekend to you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crayola brand! A box of 24....wishing they had the 64 kind like crayons. LOL

      Thanks Jeanne.

      Delete
  4. Your drawing is awesome. I can doodle and make something that looks like a flower but nothing that looks realistic.
    I'm not fond of crowds and malls either and that drives me nuts when people will stand in the middle of an isle talking.
    It may have been cold out there on your walk but it sure was pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too....it's like common sense and courtesy flies out the window in big crowds. No snow around here, like you have, but ohhhhh, the wind was like it was blowing right off the ice caps.

      Delete
    2. Beautiful paintbrushes! I love them too!
      Crowds aren't my thing either. Sensory overload or something like that.
      Love all the birds!

      Delete
    3. Florence: Thanks!! I'm glad you liked the drawing...and yes, sensory overload is a great description!!

      Delete
  5. Hello Anni, I just love your drawing and the beautiful flowers. They are my favorite flowers. Great shots and sightings of the birds, I like the Ibis. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Have a happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Eileen. ...for hosting and stopping by with your compliments!

      Delete
  6. That firewheel picture should win! And all those pretty birds, Anni, they are beautiful. For someone who lives so far south, it makes me wonder how cold it really was. Of course wind can always make it feel awfully cold. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was mid 40s with the wind coming off the water and the wind chill factor it was COLD. Coming from Colorado and the dry air, it was just as cold as a 30-35 humid cold!!!

      Delete
  7. Anni your sketches and photography talents continue to amaze and delight us
    Hugs Madi and cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your artwork!
    Great to see so much wildlife in such a short time.
    Have a wonderful week-end!
    Lea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lea....have a great weekend yourself.

      Delete
  9. The Roseate Spoonbill sure caught my eye

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are most dazzling in the sunlight, I think.

      Delete
  10. Squirrels aND a pink one... Roseate Spoonbill, sorry. I love flamingos too. Pink. Not a fan of pink, for stuff, weird....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Who was it that recorded the song Pink is My Favorite Color? Oh ya, Aerosmith I believe. I like pink....didn't long ago, like you, but now as I have aged, it's a calming color.

      Delete
  11. I had no idea colored pencils could look like a stain glass painting. i love the colors and i think your flowers are awesome.. i am trying not to be jealous.. good luck in the contest..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sandra....the secret is layers of coloring with pencils.

      Delete
  12. Oh, you are so talented, Anni!! I love your drawings!! The squirrel is such a cutie! And the Roseate Spoonbill is so beautiful!! Thanks for sharing and what a great start for my weekend!! Hope you have a great one!! Enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'd give your flowers a vote to win! Really enjoyed seeing the birds especially the Rose tailed spoonbill what a beautiful bird!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Christine, for the vote of confidence...I appreciate it.

      Delete
  14. Great post thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  15. I hope judges realize the art in your picture is honest and true. Malls? YUK! Way too many people for me. I would feel smothered. It's a jungle out there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I too avoid malls! But needed to get some walking done. lol

      Delete
  16. I think you are so talented and have a good chance to win. :)
    Those white ibis are so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well thanks Mari. Your vote of confidence made my day.

      As for the ibis, I think they're odd looking. rofl

      Delete
  17. Your firewheel is beautiful! I hope you win! Oh, mall walking would about do me in too! I hate crowds, and almost NEVER go to malls. Just hate them and all the big chain stores too, but when it's cold you have to find a place to walk! I can't do much walking anymore because of my chronic fatigue...I'm one of those people using a scooter in those bigger places when I absolutely MUST go! Love the beautiful squirrel, and the panoramas of the water birds. Hope you have an awesome week!

    ReplyDelete
  18. How be a the flowers are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, glad you enjoyed them.

      Delete
  19. I love the pics...how blessed you are to be able to see all of these where you walk. (I hate having to deal with crowds, too. I usually avoid at all costs, but actually ran to the mall yesterday and it was not bad yet.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seems Malls these days are nothing but shoe stores and chain stores that offer nothing much yet....want you to shop and spend big bucks for very little. Oh the people. Ugh!!

      Delete
  20. I do admire your artistic ability and hope you win!

    ReplyDelete
  21. You have a good chance to win is my opinion of your Firewheel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Paula....thanks for the vote of confidence!!

      Delete
  22. I'm tired of contests! I never win. Your flowers are wonderful. I've been sketching from time-to-time, just having fun. It is relaxing! I love your birds!
    P.S. My client goes around her dining room table with her walker 25 times each day! She has circulation issues with her feet. I'm so proud of her!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...me either. I too just like doing the sketches for relaxation.

      Delete

.