“A wise old owl lived in an oak;
The more he saw the less he spoke;
The less he spoke the more he heard...
Why can't we all be like that bird?”
― Edward Hersey Richards




my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes

CLICK IMAGES FOR ENLARGEMENT SLIDESHOW





To the Park I go....

For the last few days this week, I've been hitting all the birding hotspots along the coastal bend, and in town, traipsing the parks for the migrants. I tellya, in some areas 'hotspots' is the proper terminology. Everywhere I look a different bird is flitting around!! I can't keep the camera focused on them all at once. I'm thinking that this past week, and maybe into the next week, this is PEAK SEASON for migration. For the most part, Bud is being the hero of it all...he's staying home doing the yard work while I'm out being dazzled by the color. Birds everywhere!!! I am sure if I begin to list what birds have been spotted [not all photographed tho, sadly] I wouldn't even begin to name 'em all...
BLUE GROSBEAK
RUBY THROATED HUMMINGBIRD
OVENBIRD
CHUCK WILL'S WIDOW [a night hawk]
several species of SPARROWS
WARBLERS BY THE DOZENS
ROSE BREASTED GROSBEAKS
QUAIL [in the sea grasses along the park road]
WHISTLING DUCKS
MEADOWLARKS
ORIOLES of all kinds
HAWKS [some permanent residents, others migratory]
BUNTINGS
I'm still on my quest to find and photograph the yellow headed blackbird. People have reported them here in our vicinity, but I haven't seen any yet.
WORMEATERS
VIREOS
...just to mention a few species!!


This week was also a time [you have until the 26th of April] to enter all USA's National Parks for free. No entrance fees! This promotion is to get people out of the house and back to nature. I took advantage of it on Thursday morning. Just to find shorebirds and get to walk along the beach in quietude...before others are up and about and the shifting sands and surf became too busy for me...altho, I spent, for the most part, all day there. I got there early and left late in the afternoon. Walking and sitting on the picnic tables, enjoying the views of the sea...


  • The first permanent settlement on the island was located on the island's southern tip. This area was established around 1804 by a Spanish priest, Padre Nicolas Balli, after whom the island is named. Padre Island National Seashore separates the Gulf of Mexico from the Laguna Madre, one of a few hypersaline lagoons in the world. The park protects 70 miles of coastline, dunes, prairies, and wind tidal flats. The Kemp Ridley Turtles return here to lay their eggs and hatch their young annually, and the entire barrier island is always on patrol for turtle nests to nurture them in safe keeping from predators at the vast science laboratory on the park's grounds. If anyone sees nests/nestlings, they are to be reported. Otherwise we have a TURTLE PATROL that runs the distance hourly...



  • Before Spain, Mexico, the Republic of Texas and USA's possession, the Native Americans, the tribe called the Malaquites roamed the barrier island. The park's visitor center is called Malaquite Center; located on Malaquite Beach. The center facility has public restrooms, and a gift shop with a small display of the natural habitat of the island life.


    Malaquite Beach just after Sunrise


  • As early as the 1960s, the northern area of the island was a bombing facility for 'practice runs'.

  • Many shipwrecks near the coast from the 1500's still remain below the sea...some at low tide are visible offshore.

  • 70 miles of natural beaches, 133,918 acres of which are protected in the National Seashore...most of which are only accessible by foot or four wheel drive.





  • This tree is somewhat of a landmark...years ago it was washed in from a huge storm mass and 'took root' in the sandy front of the beach and remained here for decades...it's now a popular perch for seabirds!!




  • Several access roads within the park will take you to fishing areas to fish by boat OR on shore. There is an easy hiking trail just inside the park's entrance area that will allow you to walk the 'other side' in the sea oats and cat tails and sloping grass covered dunes. In this area, coyotes, hawks, eagles, meadowlarks, deer, javelinas [wild pigs of sorts], rabbits, rodents and of course...the ever-feared rattlesnakes can be spotted along the trail and through binoculars.

  • 10 comments :

    1. Such an abundance of our feathered friends, and a turtle patrol! Love it all, Anni, and thank you for taking me to your park. I loved it all. :-)

      ReplyDelete
    2. Wow, I guess you've been birding! Ours our coming back too! Spring is surely in the air. Hope it stays too. You live in such a wonderful area, I really enjoy seeing all your lovely photos of it! Take good care, enjoy your weekend too!

      ReplyDelete
    3. you had me at 70 miles of beaches and then lost me at the rattlesnakes. it is a most beautiful park. our National parks in FL are to far for me to go. we have state parks every 10 miles but only 4 National and they are all 8 to 10 hours away from us

      ReplyDelete
    4. You are one lucky lady with so many wonderful bird friends! To see this many is truly incredible! Great post, my friend.

      Nancy

      ReplyDelete
    5. Anni this is a wonderful post..of course your photos are top notch. The entire post should be in Birds and Blooms of National Geographic...or both.
      Excellent. Last week, I finally spotted my first ruby throated hummer of the season. I expect I had missed it's real first visit but at least I finally saw it with my own eyes.
      Hugs Cecilia

      ReplyDelete
    6. love it, thank you for sharing.

      ReplyDelete
    7. that is some list of birds. Thanks for the tour.

      ReplyDelete
    8. With so many feathered friends, you must have been overwhelmed with their stories.
      Are they talkative?

      ReplyDelete
    9. Now everybody is going to want to go!!
      Great post.

      ReplyDelete

    .