“A wise old owl lived in an oak;
The more he saw the less he spoke;
The less he spoke the more he heard...
Why can't we all be like that bird?”
― Edward Hersey Richards




my POETRY | MEME links | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes

Blog Best Viewed with 1600x900 Monitor or Larger
CLICK IMAGES FOR ENLARGEMENT SLIDESHOW
MEME Links are on one page-Use TAB on the menu bar, above!





Mumbo Jumbo

FENCE [more like railing this week]


Near a city park, some old, historic houses remain in existence. Most of them are now owned by law offices. Along any part of the seacoasts in America, at one time, the roof structure seen here with the fence railings was added to the homes - most often near the home's chimney. This was a purposeful work to assist the owners with chimney fires....this way they had access to the rooftop and were able to pour sand down the chimney to put out chimney fires. Also, legend has given this structure a title....'WIDOW'S WALK'. Romanticists tend to think this is where the woman of the household would walk the walk in search for her longtime gone-to-sea sailor/lover/husband 'man of the house'...watching for their return.


- - -


If you haven't heard about the weather in Texas lately, you've missed quite a bit! LOL On Tuesday this past week, Houston was literally flooded out. In some parts of the city [where my son lives], they had 20 inches of rainfall in just a few short hours. Streets flooded, horses needing rescued, bayous out of their banks, people stranded, buildings flooded out...and oh so much more. Well, here in MY area of the coast, we got rain....but NOTHING like Houston. For the most part, recorded rainfall accumulation was 4-5 inches in a couple of hours. It remained cloudy and drizzly for all of Tuesday here, but cleared out soon. By sunset hour, the cloud cover broke and patches of clear sky.

Wednesday, for my walking routine, I took to the beach. Even without HIGH tide the sand was covered in standing water, some areas, the water was up to the dunes. Other areas, not so much. Of course the scene on the waves was typical during a stormy period...surfers and boogie boards filled the water's edge along the boat channel. Patchy fog drifted along the horizons looking both directions along the shoreline. Then, I witnessed some images that made me smile...ya, the occupants were okay, but imagine...waking up from an overnight deluge, only to open the door of your camper trailer [RV], and step out to water at your door when the night before, you were safe and dry far enough away from the shore....only to see this at awakening...



For most part of Texas, this week was one for the record books!!!

...the following morning the sky was on 'fire'!!!!




It's Springtime...baby turtles are hatching!





One of the parks on the island that I frequent a lot during the bi-annual migrations showed a lot of red...


Bottle Brush Bush.......................................Wild Poinsettia


Re-watched a DVD this week: Star Wars the Force Awakens. Very good movie. It's good for the fact it reintroduced some of the characters from the past and showed us some new characters for the next generation. Also, there are family ties in this new series. It's keeping those of us that's been interested in the saga from the beginning, wondering who's who, and which one is related to the Dark Side Nemesis? Then, a 2nd movie, one we've not seen but Bud has always wanted to buy the DVD - - "In the Heart of the Sea" [a movie based on historical fact of the sinking of the ship, the Essex] -in turn, Herman Melville wrote a story of it in 'fiction'...Moby Dick!! I'd give this movie, for those who like classic literature AND true stories of the sea, five stars!! It's very good.

....Speaking of movies, another remake is coming out to the theater soon. MAGNIFICENT SEVEN starring Denzel Washington and others. The story is a bit different from the first movie [1960]. In the trailer -link is movie title above-, The House of the Rising Sun [1964] is being sung in the background?!!!....All kinds of wrong. LOL


  • Thanks to all who wished me good health this past week while I recuperated from a bout of flu and wearing of the heart monitor!! Ironically, the heart rhythms were just fine the whole 24 hours I had to wear it. So, hearing no news or medication changes is good news I guess. So far, I'm thinking perhaps it was just the stomach flu making everything go awry for the day it happened. Who knows. Oh ya, and Monday, it was Bud's Birthday so we did go out to lunch...that was the sum total of getting out and about this week. The beach one day, and out to lunch a couple days before. Guess I'm on the mend...doing a bit of gardening here and there...Exciting stuff. *wink


  • 44 comments :

    1. Replies
      1. Wow...you read fast. I barely got it published and you read my post and commented. You go girl!!

        Delete
    2. so glad the heart monitor showed nothing.. must have been that flu bug. I LOVE LOVE the turtle photos. Wow! and number 3 of the beach scenes,the one with the birds all in the air and the lifeguard station to the far right is just beautiful. i can hear those birds screaming and feel the gulf breezes... glad you did not get that 20 and hope your family did not flood. we saw all that crazy weather on the news.. my hubbys crazy about the Mag 7 and that is one of his favorites. i love denzel in anything he does. thanks for the heads up. I am wondering what is floating out of the stranded potty and the trailer looks like Mel Gibson might step out. my all time favorite movie is Lethat Weapon and his trailer was like that near the water.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I LOVED Lethal Weapon also!!!

        Delete
    3. Enjoyable post thank you for sharing

      ReplyDelete
    4. Amazing photos - as always!!! So glad your heart is okay! I always knew you had a good heart!!
      The Houston weather has been awful!!! I can't even imagine even though we up here in the DFW area faced some pretty bad flooding last spring!
      I enjoyed the movie recommendations and reviews! The one I'm most interested in is In the Heart of the Sea!
      Hope you have a great rest of the week! Love your beach walks! I would have hated to be in that camper and wake up to water standing outside my door!!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I know...I wouldn't want to be on the beach in a little camper with winds and storms overhead!!

        Thanks Linda

        Delete
    5. Geez even your slow weeks sound more fun than my typical week. I just have a pretty boring life....lol

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. LOL...that is a hoot. I'm sure your life with Gibbs [and Wade] can't be all THAT boring. Just safe and contented. That's A GOOD LIFE.

        Delete
    6. I'm sorry to hear you've been sick with flu but glad you are on the mend. Happy Birthday to Bud. So glad you two were able to get out for a birthday meal. I can't believe the weather you've been having in Texas. That is really something else. I haven't watched the news for about a week otherwise I'm sure I would have heard about it. I always think of Texas as being so dry with little rain (I realize there are green parts, he he) but all that rain you've had. Very unusual. This week we are hot where I live. Absolutely very hot considering it went from cold to hot. That's weird too. Hugs and continued better health.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Well, the north part is somewhat desert-like, but down by the coast, it's sub-tropical. Texas is a HUGE state with a few different temperate zones.

        Thanks Joyful.

        Delete
    7. Glad you are feeling better.I have seen some of the pictures of the flooding in Houston and that is sad.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. With very little loss of lives [5 I heard]...it's amazing that such a LARGE community comes together to help others in need. It was a storm that will be in the record books, I'm sure.

        Delete
    8. I heard about the flooding - the pictures are quite something!
      Baby turtles are so cute. :)
      So glad you are feeling better. The flu can really mess a person up!

      ReplyDelete
    9. Lot of people around here really likes "In heart of the sea" but haven't had the chance to watch it.
      The weather been great in North Idaho. But haven't seen any turtles or replies yet.
      Coffee is on

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Sorry...I'm confused....seen 'replies'?

        Delete
    10. Such beautiful photos, Anni. I'm glad you're better now and the heart monitor didn't show anything serious. Take care. Jo

      ReplyDelete
    11. Hello Anni, so glad you have recovered from the flu. I have seen pictures of the flooding, it is awful. MY prayers go out to the people of Houston. Pretty sky shot, I love the cute turtles and the pretty bottlebrush blooms. Happy Thursday, enjoy your day!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thanks Eileen...for everything you wrote. You made my day.

        Delete
    12. I'm glad you are feeling better. It takes quite awhile to recover from something like that. I sure love those baby turtles! Ahhhhh! Hugs, Diane

      ReplyDelete
    13. Just wondering if you have ever found shark's teeth or beach glass when you go to the beach. Good to have you back at it. I was wondering how your area was affected with that awful flood.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I think you asked me about the sea glass before...I usually don't think of glass, but look for sea beans and birds mostly. Thanks Ms. G

        Delete
      2. I don't understand why you mentioned Hummingbird vine on my bean blog. Help.....

        Delete
    14. I kind of wondered if it was the flu that messed up your heart rhythms, and I guess I was right. My intestinal tract is still not back to normal after last weekend's flu. But otherwise I'm recuperating well. And yes, that rain was one for the record books! :-)

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Yep, I'm thinking the same thing. But it was still enough of a 'threat' to be checking with the cardio docs.

        Delete
    15. Thanks for the movie suggestions. Gonna look those up. I did know about the floods in Houston. Our son lives near Austin and I am always checking out Texas weather. I read several folks were drowned. I went throw the heart routine and ended up finding I had CHF (Congestive Heart Failure) Under control now. At my age nothing healthwise is a surprise. Blessings to you and keep on healing.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Erik, our son in Houston, texted me earlier today telling me that Austin was getting hit by heavy rains .... on its way to Houston [or perhaps the Victoria area?]

        Delete
    16. Such lovely shots.

      ReplyDelete
    17. I cannot imagine all that rain falling like that. Just devastating. I had forgotten Erik lived in Houston. Thank goodness you are feeling like Hootin' Anni again.
      Hugs madi and cecilia

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Not quite up to Hootin' much, but getting there....Thanks M&M

        Delete
    18. It was a unbelievable rain in Houston and my heart goes out to all stricken by it. Hope you are feeling better and enjoying the coast again. Sweet photos of the turtle hatchlings!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thanks Christine. Yes, the weather hits, and hits hard in some areas ... I think Houston and the entire community will hold tough and help one another if need be. They're like that up there, that I know for a fact.

        Thanks Christine.

        Delete
    19. the little turtle made me smile. :) nice widow's walk! (just now getting around to visiting today so i'd have never noticed it was arriving fashionably late in this post.) glad your area was okay. yes, houston was barraged...

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. No problem on your side then...I couldn't believe what I did earlier today. LOL...once again, VERY blond I am.

        Thanks Ms. T

        Delete
    20. Hi Annie. Houston really did get drowned so to speak. Glad you are ok. The turtles are so cute. And I'm glad you are recovering and not having any more heart issues.

      ReplyDelete
    21. Very interesting about the fence/rails at the top of the houses.
      Yes the flooding in Houston was quite something, I saw it on the news.
      Those baby turtles are so cute. The bottlebrush & wild poinsettia were quite lovely. Good to hear you are doing okay.

      ReplyDelete
    22. Wonderful post and hoping you will have drier weather. Your sunrise is just breathtaking and the wild poinsettia is delightful! One of the thinks I liked in Corpus Christi was seeing the poinsettias bloom in September. Actually until then I didn't even know they were ever planted in the ground. Wishing you well!

      ReplyDelete
    23. Railings work, they're fences too, sometimes it's all we can share that week. I did the same with a fence railing headed to the lake! A hike about town. Your photos are great again, especially at the beach!

      ReplyDelete
    24. Your Texas weather made for some great photos! Hope you're feeling better...

      ReplyDelete

    .