“A wise old owl lived in an oak;
The more he saw the less he spoke;
The less he spoke the more he heard...
Why can't we all be like that bird?”
― Edward Hersey Richards




my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes






"Beware of Flying Golf Balls!"

Once you park your car in any of the several areas, warning signs, such as my blog title suggests, are posted. The park is adjacent to a membership-only golf course!! Invariably you can find some of the players' golf balls along the walk, in the grass. I've often wondered how many car windshields have been broken from errant balls after teeing off!! But while looking for those, you may spot some wildflowers like these:




Where Bud and I walked a few days ago, the area was literally Red and Gray!! With a few other colors mixed here and there. But....it seemed that everywhere we looked swarms of crimson!! The bird calls were a constant similarity. Literally 100s of Northern Cardinals. The ground, the tree branches, and the sky were dotted with red and gray [male...red, female...gray] A few green jays, mockingbirds, red-winged blackbirds, grackles, doves, two woodpeckers, sparrows, and once reaching the ponds, ducks, herons, and egrets mostly. I'll not show any photos of the massive invasion of cardinals. Tho I have many for my birding photo blog.  I will, however, share this cute one. It's of a Lincoln's Sparrow, watching me watch him!!


This park is just on the outskirts of Calallen, Texas. About 25 miles from home. The area is on a small bluff. It's where the annual Fall Migration of hawks and kites [bird species, not the hobbyist kite flying kites] take place...called Hazel Bazemore Park After watching the open areas near the golf course, I traipsed off the winding road into the dense trees to hike the dirt trail along the side of the bluff looking out across the larger of the two ponds. A few observation decks jut out off the path toward the water for watching the waterfowl. This area is a birders' paradise. Down the hill, along the winding park road you follow the Nueces River. Along the way, picnic tables and BBQ pits, a boat ramp, and eventually a circular off road that has another birding platform. The road then is uphill to the park's entrance gate or back out to the highway to head back to Corpus Christi [or Kingsville, Texas or San Antonio].





Some of the views along the side of the bluff...


Once done here, we walked along the road, past the small lakes, seeing egrets, ducks and herons. Two Blue Winged Teal figured we were getting too close, and off they flew to the other side, for safety.


Leaving the bluff behind us, the terrain changes from a heavily wooded area to a flat prairie grass landscape until the road curves to the south and follows the river bank. It's a haven for deer too. We've often seen white tailed deer in this part of the park. Anyway, when the road gently turns along the riverside, the parks and rec department has been building a new birding area/boardwalk. It looked finished, so Bud and I explored it. I will share this segment of photos in a day or two showing you the new area for us birders/walkers. In late Spring of 2015 this area was under water...due to flooding from heavy rainfall accumulation!!  [photo link of flooded area]



 To be continued...

53 comments :

  1. I'd have love to seen the cardinals before they come home for the summer. I think it must have taken your breath away. They are such lovely birds, and wise not to stay here for the winter. Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was amazing, but most cardinals stay here year 'round. Thing is this is breeding season, and I think they're a bit more active for now before they begin nesting.

      Delete
  2. So nice to see some green and some birds! We have had a few at the feeder lately, but just a few.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I love about living down here...always green somewhere, year 'round.

      [except during hurricane season....that can get a bit stressful]

      Delete
  3. The Lincoln sparrow is certainly a cheeky wee fellow, and what a lovely little park. Oh how I envy you being able to observe the hawk and kite migration. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The fall migration is absolutely incredible...by the 1000s most days. And yes, the sparrow IS 'cheeky'.

      Delete
  4. What a lovely place to walk! The sweet little buttercup is still waiting to appear here. At just the right time in the Spring our entire back yard is covered by them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a pretty area....unless the mosquitoes are hungry. lol

      Delete
  5. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a beautiful and serene place. I laughed to think of golf balls like Easter eggs scattered everywhere. How in the world does one avoid a golf ball? By the time you see it, it's either hit you or missed. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keep clear of the tee!! Especially when they're ready to play. After they tee off, you're safe 'til the next group shows up. lol

      Delete
  7. Hello Anni, I love your cute owl header! Looks like another great place for biridng and a walk. Except for the golf balls! Happy Friday, enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love this area most in Autumn. Dunno why. I guess it's prettier during that time of year. And COOLER!. lol

      Delete
  8. Golf balls do pose a threat, there is a golf course right next to our home in the Algarve, and I'm always wary when outside in the garden. The park does seem like a wonderful area with all the different kind of landscapes to enjoy whilst bird watching ..and so many birds in this haven. The scenery and walkways are beautiful. Cute Sparrow picture, and love your Teals in flight capture too. Looking forward to more of your shares.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed this post....and yes, they will [the golf balls] become threatening if you're nearby.

      Delete
  9. Great post Anni, I would have loved to see so many cardinals. I have only ever seen one or two, three at the most. Golf balls would be a problem for sure. The wildflowers are lovely and thank you so much for once again sharing with Today's Flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Loved your pictures today, Anni. So beautiful. The collage with the greens is so lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I might want to wear my hard hat if I walked those paths! By the way, did you ever take a golf ball apart when you were a kid? I did. Wonder if they are built the same way with long rubber strands encircling a little hard ball in the middle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure I've torn apart a golf ball, but the same with a tennis ball...tho there is air in the center instead of a small ball.

      Delete
  12. Wonderful bird photos ~ lovely and creative presentation ~

    Happy Weekend to you ~ ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the take off photo at the end.. and i do hope we will see the hundreds of cardinals.. a beautiful place to hike and wander and snap. i might have trouble on those steps with out a railing. the good news about living in florida and all the older population retiring here, is they make our parks handicap friendly. we have the same steps at Emerson preserve but with a railing on one side. sorry my mind does wander. photos are magnficent as always

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There aren't that many retirees living here on a permanent basis....mostly they're here during the winter months....then, it's back to mostly 40 yr old or younger population.

      Delete
  14. What a pretty park. I'd sure love to see all those cardinals. Don't get hit by a flying golf ball!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...as I miss the jays in YOUR area. :-)

      Delete
  15. Oh, Annie, I LOVE this place. In that shot of the Blue-winged Teal, I noticed all the birds on the cattails in the background...but there is one bird with a lot of white...do you know what it is? And what are the other birds...I first assumed Red-winged Blackbirds cause that is what it would be if it were here, but not so sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The black birds ARE redwings...they were singing as we walked by. But honestly, I don't know the white br white one.

      Delete
  16. Having so many birds around is something I can only dream about.That would be amazing.Your pictures are so great.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great pics thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  18. love these. I want to wander down some of those paths and do a little exploring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...Bring Gibbs!!! We three will have a lot of fun exploring.

      Delete
  19. hAVE YOU EVER BEEN TO THE DOG RACES AT cORPUS? (MY CAPITALS ARE DOING WEIRD THINGS). I BEONGED TO A GROUP AT A HOSPITAL WHO TOOK DAY TRIPS THERE AND OTHER PLACES. oH AND YOU ASK IF IT HURTS THE COWS TO CUT THEIR HORNS OFF. THEY DON'T ACT LIKE IT HURTS BUT WE USED TO HAVE A COW NAMED sHELLY mARIE AND I LIKED TO STAND IN FRONT OF HER AND TAKE A HORN IN EACH HAND AND SHAKE HER GENTLY AND TALK TO HER BUT SHE DIDN'T LIKE FOR ME TO TOUCH HER HORNS. I WASN'T HURTING HER, JUST PLAYING WITH HER.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess it can be similar to cutting our fingernails? Maybe. That's a cute story about 'dancing' with Shelly Marie!!!

      Delete
  20. I am enjoying my visit here. I like the Lincoln sparrow. I finally got my Google friend to work so I can follow a few more blogs now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad to know you enjoyed this and are now following me!!

      Delete
  21. Hello Anni, just stopping back to say thank you for linking up and sharing your post. I love the pretty Lincoln's Saprrow. Have a happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank YOU dear Eileen for hosting Saturday Critters

      Delete
  22. That looks like a lovely park, with lots to see!
    Have a great week-end!
    Lea
    PS. I'll be linking up to I'd Rather B Birdin' when the meme opens

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm heading over right now to see what you shared for us birders!! Thanks Lea.

      Delete
  23. I love those awesome photos. That park looks awesome. You always post wonderful photos.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love the Teals in flight and your header is gorgeous. Have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Ah, I'm back!!! And I love your photos!! So glad I don't have to worry about not being able to see them again!!! Hope your weekend is going well, Anni!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's awesome!!! Glad you, hopefully, figured out the problem/s.

      Delete
  26. I love the time of year when the weather changes from blah to blooming ;-) The little bird looking at the camera photo is so sweet and you have a beautiful series of other photos. So pretty where you are. Have an awesome weekend. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks....have an awesome weekend yourself!!

      Delete
  27. I like boardwalks! They let you go places you normally could not walk.

    ReplyDelete

.