MEME Links are on one page-Use TAB on the menu bar, above!




Part II


To conclude my previous post of the park near Calallen, Texas, I mentioned before that the Parks and Rec department had begun a new boardwalk section last winter. When Bud and I followed the road around the park area, we ended up along the Nueces River. Here, the newly built area, that meanders through the woodsy area along a section of the riverbank seemed to be completed. So...we ventured onto the boardwalk, crossing the small drainage ditch to begin...









First of all, I really, REALLY like the fragrance of fresh cut lumber. And the air surrounding us was permeated with this awesome odor. I knew right away the walk would be enjoyable as long as I didn't find any snakes!! [One birding hot spot just down the road from this park a few miles, a Texas Coral snake was spotted by a birder!! I hate snakes. And to be a poisonous snake at that...well, nightmares!] Anyway, this is what the area's views were like. Filled with hidden treasures of the quiet, slow moving river, the huge, massive trees - some in autumnal colors, while others in their winter garb, and of course, still other trees; evergreen. The unmarred, beautiful and colorful, contrasting wooden boardwalks and constructed benches here and there....along with the rich, blue skies and puffy cotton ball clouds above made for a nice tour of the new area.. Most trees were blanketed with Spanish Moss, gently swaying in the balmy breeze!  What I consider a real Southern Charm!!

Nueces River through the palm/oak/willow trees - Looking out to the wooded area
After crossing the drainage ditch this all comes into view
A wooden bench for bird watching, spotting deer, enjoying the winding boardwalk
The fencing construction was solid and LONG - Spanish Moss Swaying  in the breeze
Close up of the moss just inches from the boardwalk - Looking Down River
Looking Up River - Giant Trees

Spanish Moss - The plant's specific name usneoides means "resembling Usnea", and it indeed closely resembles its namesake Usnea, also known as beard lichen, but in fact Spanish moss is neither a moss nor a lichen. Instead, it is a flowering plant (angiosperm) in the family Bromeliaceae (the bromeliads) that grows hanging from tree branches in full sun or partial shade.

PS...did you know that the pineapple is distant cousin to the "Spanish Moss"? It too is of the bromeliad family

44 comments :

  1. Looks like a lovely place for a walk. I love the smell of freshly cut lumber too almost as much as the smell of a load of fresh mulch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes....here too. I agree, the smell of fresh mulch.....GARDENING!!

      Delete
  2. The only time I see Spanish moss is in the craft store and it comes in bags :)
    This looks like a beautiful park.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a nice park. Nothing like the ones you see in Houston, but quite nice. And nice; quiet. LOL

      Delete
  3. Great photos Anni! Very interesting about the Spanish Moss. It always looks so pretty hanging down from trees.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No I didn't know that about the pineapple and the Spanish moss, Annie. I enjoyed our walk along the Nueces River. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Part I: Lincoln Sparrow seems to love the camera and it loves him.
    What beautiful shots of the picture of the geese too.

    Part II: What a beautiful birding day you had both days. We did not know about pineapples and Spanish moss. I do love seeing moss blowing in the wind.
    Hugs madi and mom

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello, looks like a great new boardwalk. The spanish moss is beautiful. Happy Monday, enjoy your new week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Eileen. Hope your week is off to a good start.

      Delete
  7. My sister lives in a part of Florida that has wonderful trees with Spanish moss. I just love the way it looks, and I didn't know it's not really moss. Thanks for the nature walk and lesson! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you enjoyed this....glad to know the nature walk was a good one.

      Delete
  8. The Spanish moss photos cause me to miss my SC beach place. Lovely and beautiful stuff! The new construction is a positive addition and very nicely completed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For now, it's very attractive!! Just hope the 'up keep' will keep it that way.

      Delete
  9. Beautiful captures of a beautiful place, Anni, as always!! Your photos are the next best thing to being there myself!! And, thanks, as always, for sharing the beauty!! Hope your week is off to a great start!! ENJOY!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anni, loved the photo with the Spanish Moss.

    ReplyDelete
  11. More lovely photos of the park and the new boardwalk.I like the bench,..a super place to sit in comfort whilst observing nature.It's interesting about the Spanish Moss, and Pinapple being related. It looks lovely now, but must look even more so when in bloom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Y'know, I'm not sure I've ever seen the moss blooming?!! I will have to pay more attention. lol
      Thanks!

      Delete
  12. Beautiful scenes.I do agree with the idea of snakes.Not my favourite critter for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes...snakes are a huge phobia for me!! Thanks Ruth.

      Delete
  13. Enjoyed this. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. How wonderful to have a new boardwalk and love the moss shot but all your photos are great!

    Happy Week to you ~ ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  15. How I would love to have a place that nice to go walking. I can almost smell the wood...I love that smell, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That makes two of us then....thanks Rose

      Delete
  16. Love that last shot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's my favorite too Fiona.

      Delete
  17. it looks like a great place to spend some time! have a beautiful week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks...have a beautiful week yourself Jandi.

      Delete
  18. I have always loved the look of spanish moss in our trees. it is nice to look at but can put little itchy red spots on us if we handle it. learned that as a child.. beautiful park. i love the bench in the sunshine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I've ever touched it other than that found in a craft bag.

      Delete
  19. Such a pretty park -- it reminds me a lot of around here. I couldn't for some reason find the comments on your later post, but thanks for trying to help. I blog on Typepad but I do use Picasa to edit my pictures. So I'm kind of holding my breath to see what happens later this month. I've never used albums/ we will see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, the comments were disabled...it's now working I think.

      Delete
  20. What a beautiful walk that can now be enjoyed by so many.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can only hope....there are way too many that enjoy [or so it seems] vandalizing beautiful parks.

      Delete
  21. It is beautiful and a wonderful habitat...the snakes would be a concern to me too...

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a beautiful place, Anni! I'm going to check out your previous post now. :)

    ReplyDelete

.