“A wise old owl lived in an oak;
The more he saw the less he spoke;
The less he spoke the more he heard...
Why can't we all be like that bird?”
― Edward Hersey Richards




my POETRY | MEME links | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes
MEME Links are on one page-Use TAB on the menu bar, above!





A Mystery, a Movie, Mayhem, Matriach, and Myself


  • Movies:  Long ago, in fact the year was 1959....I was ten!! My mom and dad allowed me to go to the movie theater alone. This movie holds a bit of nostalgia for me since it was the FIRST MOVIE I saw in a theater. I fell in love with Stephen Boyd [even tho he was reported being gay...that chin cleft just about blew me away. He played Messala in Ben Hur...the evil counterpart of Ben Hur]. For a pre-teen the dark hair and those piercing steel gray-blue eyes with Irish good looks, well...the rest is history. Anyway, Erik, our son, texted me that in August of this year, Ben Hur is going to return to the big screen. I anxiously await its remake!! I just KNOW I'll be sitting on the edge of my seat during the chariot race to make his family, enslaved by the Empire, free. Revenge couldn't smell as sweet!! I'm 100% sure I'll see it more than once.





  • Murder Mystery:  In 2005 an unsolved murder in Aruba...the prime suspect confesses. We knew all along, didn't we?




  • Mayhem:  Or, another "M" word comes to mind...'mogul'...[I quote from another website] "It will probably come as no shock to you that Donald Trump owned 14,000 apartments by the time he was 27. He owned them under the Trump Management Corporation which he built almost single-handedly (with only a small $1 million “loan” from Daddy Bigbucks)." He is 69...born in 1946.  Of course, his name pops up hourly on the social/news media....but I keep thinking of the historical event from the past....Could the Republican Party be headed to yet another Brokered Convention?  It's a scary thought!!



  • source


  • Matriarch: My sister, the oldest living female in our "clan", has been matriarch for nearly 22 years [since my mother's passing]. Annually, for the last two and half decades, the two of us have set aside the 18th of March as Sister's Day. We celebrate with small tokens of sisterhood; sending each other gifts, an early night toasting of champagne with our synchronized clocks to each. I, facing west to Colorado, Sharon [my sister], facing south to Texas. "Here's to Sisterhood. Live long, Live well!" By the way, I can't let her outdo me....I am matriarch of my married name....I am the eldest living female on Bud's side of the family since his sister passed away a couple of years ago. Does that make me feel special? No, not really. But, with sibling rivalry, I can't let my sister have ALL the glory. *wink*




  • Myself:  48 years ago this month, Bud and I had our first date. Three months later, we were married!! Talk about livin' on the fast track! I guess, for the both of us, tho we knew of each other for over a year...it was love at first sight! Bud, a retired Federal employee with Navy under his belt...Me, before marrying, and working with the school job placement program my junior and senior year, I was head office receptionist at a Chamber of Commerce; during our children's school years I was Office Supervisor at the School District so I could have holidays/spring/summers off when the kids were home during their breaks, then, a retired coordinator for a psychiatric facility. Two children -1969 and 1972- Irene and Erik [a safe house counselor in Missouri and a former Marine Corporal now a college professor in Houston] two grandsons -1989 and 1996- a grandson's engagement this year. It all equals a grand 48 years this coming May 11th, when we celebrate our life together as one. ...This is a repeat posting of my photo; posted each March on my blog at some point.



  • Also, today,  linking to: Willy Nilly Friday and Five on Friday



    30 comments :

    1. I have to say it was a tossup for me between Charlton Heston and Stephen Boyd. It was a first for me, too. My friends and I were allowed to take the bus ALONE into Denver to see it at the Paramont Theater. I was just 14. It was quite an adventure!!! Thanks for the memories! Have a grand day!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Hmmmmm, interesting. We may have been at the theater the very same day/same time!!

        Delete
    2. Love all the M's and stories. I look forward to hearing what you think of the movie. The first movie I ever went to in a theater was The Wizard of Oz. I still remember those red shoes. :-)

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Who could forget those ruby slippers? Not I says the movie fanatic. LOL

        Delete
    3. Anni, such a fun post today with family. Love your "sister's day" celebration with your sis. I have only brothers, and was angry with my mom when my younger brother was born...he was supposed to be a girl! Now I have two daughters and so enjoy their relationship.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I had three older brothers, and a very special close relationship with my older sister. We continue to share the bond.

        Delete
    4. This was a good post and great story about your younger years and your active occupations. I was "in love" with Charlton Heston for many years. The first movie I remember was Tom Sawyer. My mother bought tickets for my brother and me for a series of ten classics. They made a lifetime impression for me.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Heston was okay....I liked him a lot better in Ten Commandments. lol

        Tom Sawyer...that is a good movie too.

        Delete
    5. OMW you have now made me feel officaly OLD... I am the oldest living female on my mother and dad's side of the family and only one male of daddy's side is older than I am plus i am the oldest living female on hubby's side of the family and he is the oldest living person oh his side of the family. yowsa does that make me feel good. LOL
      i can't remember the first movie i saw, and i was 9 and that was 1953.. but i know it was a western because that is all i went to see. i loved westerns and still do. i never saw Ben Hur at the movies but did on a tiny little not so clear TV... congrats on your coming anniversary, that is a lot of years.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. You and Bud....westerns [both movies and novels] are a favorite genre.

        Delete
    6. I love your sister's day celebration, such a wonderful idea. I actually can't remember the first movie I saw, however I do remember going to the pictures on a Saturday morning. Take care.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. It was Saturday afternoon matinees for me mostly.

        Delete
    7. HAPPY SISTER'S DAY TO YOU AND YOUR SISTER...I LOVE THE PHOTO OF YOU 48 YEARS AGO.
      I HAD NEARLY THE SAME HAIR STYLE IN MY HIGH SCHOOL ANNUAL. I SEEM TO REMEMBER GETTING THAT FLIP ON THE END USING BOBBY PINS, THEN VIGOROUS BRUSHING
      HUGS CECILIA

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thanks so much M&M. Yep, hair styles were quite similar back then. That, I recall.

        Delete
    8. A jackpot of "M's" - My birth parents were performers - I don't remember the first movie set i was on - I did not know a new Ben Hur was being released . . . i wonder what you'll have to say about it . . I enjoy viewing films on the big screen, i always think that's how they were intended to be seen . . but, i admit, many Netflix Adventures occur in my world . . .

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. If the previews of the upcoming Ben Hur is anything what the movie in its entirety will be, I'm gonna have LOTS of praise. lol

        Delete
    9. congrets...my sweetie just celebrated 50 years of our first date.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. 50 years in this age and time....that is certainly something to be proud of. Congrats both of you.

        Delete
    10. Thank you for taking part in Five On Friday, hope you have a good weekend and a good Easter! xx

      ReplyDelete
    11. Ah memories. Thank you for this treat

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thank you for your kind words Martin.

        Delete
    12. I don't recall the first movie I ever saw in a theater but I am pretty sure I did see Ben Hur on tv a very long time ago

      ReplyDelete
    13. I really enjoyed this post...Happy Sister's Day! That is such a great idea.

      ReplyDelete
    14. Love at first sight.

      What a romance.

      ReplyDelete
    15. I love that you and your sister celebrate each other another important kind of love. This has warned my heart

      ReplyDelete
    16. Love the idea of sister day! Sweet family memories ...

      ReplyDelete
    17. Love the 1948 photo of you, and the story of your romance! How sweet! Ahh, a new Ben Hur...that will be good. When I was a kid I was allowed to walk down to the movie theatre by myself and watch a few movies on base (they were a quarter) I don't think Mom always checked the movie list! I saw Days of Wine and Roses then. Didn't like it. Couldn't understand it. I was just a kid. :-) Anyway, hope you have a great week! Sisters Day sounds like an awesome tradition too!

      ReplyDelete
    18. Like your M's. I remember seeing Ben Hur in the theatre too, but I wasn't allowed to go alone. I like your Sister's Day. My husband and I met 53 years go on St. Patrick's Day and we always celebrate this day.

      ReplyDelete

    .