MEME Links are on one page-Use TAB on the menu bar, above!




All Day All Night....aka Super Bowl Sunday

It's still about the art contest. Since anyone participating can have up to three entries, while waiting for the Super Bowl game to begin, I dabbled with another colored pencil sketch. Only rule is it cannot be a photograph! As my profile states, I enjoy sketching and painting...why not do it...even if it's just for the 'fun of it'? Entries can be of any art medium, and must pertain to Wildflowers or Texas Native Plants. I have no idea what plants are "native" to Texas, that's why I chose to enter with two wildflower drawings. The first one I did was of the fire wheel. This 2nd one is of one found on the sand dunes along the beaches. It's named "Railroad Vine". From what I gather, the reason for the name, it spreads in 'tracks'. One plant, up to 100 feet long and usually about 30 feet wide; very tolerant of drought, spreads rapidly, can be found in any environment, does well in poor soils. can withstand winter temperature drops to 20 degrees F - there is NO KNOWN human hazards of this particular plant...also known as Beach Morning Glory as the blossoms [very similar to the cultivated morning glory vines] open in the morning and close by mid afternoon; blooming year 'round they really beautify the naked gray dunes with color...color of blossom ranges from light pink to a most deep maroon-like shade of fuchsia with hues of purple veins in the petals...I surmise this has to do with the amount of light/sun. My submission:


Railroad Vine

All the time I was sketching and coloring between the lines, our cat, Tahoe, kept an eye on my progress. I love the pools of mint green flecked with a golden orange against her black coat. Pretty eyes; hypnotic eyes - especially when she is staring off in the distance; in the far away land of kitty-dom; capturing birds in her dreams. With the light filtering in the window from the sun, her thick, black eyelashes reflect against her iris; making me a bit jealous of them. No mascara or eyeliner needed!! I think our maker musta skipped that beauty on us humans. At least ME!! Naturally, Winston was being a typical male cat...not interested in any activity but dozing in his kitty bed.

It was a most beautiful day Sunday. Mild temperatures, clear sky. A good quiet part of the day, early morning, I drove to the islands with camera beside me in the car. I stopped at my usual places and watched the birds over and on the pond at my first hot spot. As I walked the wide corner on the pathway, a Cooper's Hawk was perched in the tree. Tho, not a good position for any good photos, I still couldn't resist pushing the shutter button! Making my way toward the middle of the pond along the boardwalk, a couple of cormorants were making a ruckus. I am wondering if this is the beginning of the mating ritual, or if they were just bickering. I think it's too early for breeding, but what do I know? Altho, there IS TELLTALE SIGNS of the breeding plumage on the male...so just maybe?!! The breeding plumage of a cormorant, the neck feathers and 'eyebrows' become white and they are displayed to attract the female as seen HERE from a post on my birding photo blog.



My species list at this area was large, hawk -Cooper's and Harrier- cormorants, stilts, egrets, grebes, soras, white pelicans, coots, shovelers, ducks, and more. Heading down the road, after about an hour of walking and viewing from the first area, produced only five bird species...a mockingbird, phoebe, an immature night heron, several yellow rumped warblers, and a pair of redheaded ducks. I then drove to my last stop...Charlie's Preserve North. Terns, herons, sparrows, pelicans, larks, mockingbirds, sandpipers, yellowlegs, and a vulture were spotted in the mid morning hours. With my step count app, it told me it was then time to head home. Once I parked in the driveway, Bud and I washed and cleaned the car. Next, I made my traditional Broncos in the Super Bowl cupcakes of blue and orange...lunch and reading...then, sketching the above picture and the day was filled to the coin toss against Denver and Carolina where I sat 'glued' to the computer monitor while live streaming brought me to the game plays. All I can say, as a die hard fan, the Panthers made the Broncos look good. I WAS SURPRISED AT THE OUTCOME. If you remember correctly I predicted a Denver loss...big time. I'm happy to say, I was wrong. DON'T TELL BUD THAT I JUST SAID THAT....

I'm never wrong.
Smiley




54 comments :

  1. awesome submission my friend

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice. I for one am glad that all the before and after and during the Super Bowl are behind us, although there will be plenty on the news today. Have a fabulous week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you're not a 'fan' of the sport, I'm sure you ARE happy it's over. That, I can understand.

      Delete
  3. Looks as though the cormorants are discussing their differences!! Guess we humans aren't the only ones to have those "differences"!! Great post/photos as always, Anni!! Hope you have a great new week!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sylvia....differences or love....they do go hand in hand with everyone AND everything. Right?

      Delete
  4. Absolutely stunning artwork, Annie...and beautiful photos, as well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. that is funny, bob says he is never wrong and he KNEW Broncos would win...he KNOWS all, truly he does.. he he on that. i love the drawing. that is one of my favorite flowers on our beaches here. had not heard the railroad plant, but it really does grow on long tracks. you are very talented with your drawing ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes....and I do believe it is NATIVE to Florida. Thanks Sandra.

      Delete
  6. Congrats to the Broncos they almost bucked the Panthers right back to NC. We really like Peyton Manning what a class act. So either way we were happy.
    I love the Cormorant photos.
    Hugs Madi and Mom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He DOES have class I'll give you that. Wondering if he will now retire. What do you think? Thanks M&M

      Delete
  7. Hi Annie, I thought of you last night after the win. Glad you were wrong! Your Railroad Vine is beautiful - it does remind me of a Morning Glory.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...and I you, wondering if you had watched the game while recouping. Thanks Barb.

      Delete
  8. Enjoyable post thank you

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love that railroad vine! And I too thought the Broncos would go down to defeat. Glad I was wrong, too! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...for some reason I thought you were wanting Carolina to win?!! Got that wrong. Thanks D J

      Delete
  10. Bill said if Seattle can't be in it then he was rooting for Denver so we were happy (I really don't love football, but it is fun to keep an eye on the SB, even for me.) I just learned over at our Manatee Park recently that what I've always called Beach Morning Glory is really called Railroad vine. I thought the sign was misplaced, but last time I went over there a volunteer set me right.

    Love your cormorants in love! Sweet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, the two names are synonymous...so both are correct.

      Thanks Sallie.

      Delete
  11. Beautiful sketch. Your secret is safe from me. I will not tell a soul you said you were wrong

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL....good. I'm glad I confessed the truth knowing you can keep it all quiet and away from Bud's ears!!!

      Delete
  12. Thanks for stopping by my blog! I do love all animals and I miss a few of my Florida birds. :( I haven't even seen one blue jay here in NC!
    You're very talented!
    hugs,
    Marie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blue Jays, we used to see them all the time in Colorado...but NONE here along the coast. Bummer.

      Thanks for visiting Marie.

      Delete
  13. This picture is prettier then the last. Yep think this is a winner for sure. I have no interest in football even though I was a cheerleader in high school. Didn't go out for it, I was elected. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ....I was part of the Pep Rally is all. It's nice to know you were a cheerleader, you should do a blog post of that experience.

      Delete
  14. Love your artwork. No superbowl for me!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Cormorants are not my favorite birds but have to say these are pretty cute. I had a relaxing Sunday (not a sports fan, so, just relaxed). #OurWorldTuesday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Ruth!

      Delete
  16. Nice looking drawing. I only watch the last 10 minute of Super Bowl. Watch a DVD on Ben Franklin.
    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love love those shots of the cormorants!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is a grand post! I really like your painting! Well done! Have a grand day!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Each colorful sketch is better than the one before, in my eyes! You're going to have to make a 3rd one. No football for me but it does keep the Mister occupied quite well while I play at my own games. By the way, descriptive text in this post is wonderful, especially about Tahoe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your comment is so appreciated, thanks Ms. G

      Delete
  20. Wonderful artwork! You are very talented!
    (ツ) from Cottage Country Ontario , ON, Canada!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beautiful work, you are so talented :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Thanks Claire" I say....as I sip on my Raspberry Blush.

      Delete
  22. I love how the kitties eyes were an inspiration for your art. I always admire my cat's beauty as well. And they've made appearances in my illustrations too!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Beautiful series.

    ReplyDelete
  24. The sketch is gorgeous. You amaze me.
    I think a belated happy Birthday is in order...
    Hugs Cecilia and Madi

    ReplyDelete
  25. Some birds (particularly ducks) often start courtship in winter, so maybe your cormorants were too....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...that's what I thought too.

      Delete
  26. Your artwork is so beautiful as are your photos,thanks for sharing!phyllis

    ReplyDelete
  27. Photos and other types of art.... Lucky to be so talented Anni!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the compliment.

      Delete

.