MEME Links are on one page-Use TAB on the menu bar, above!




Take a Hike!!!

As in my previous post, shopping for coloring books, I failed to mention I didn't get very many steps in for my daily walking regime. That meant, I hopped back in the car and drove to Pollywog  Ponds to get my total step count up. I ended up short anyway...but only by less than a thousand. Instead of 10000 which is my goal, I fell short, 9285, once I returned to the car to head back home. I rarely include my steps around the house, but they'll have to be added this time.


Anyway, at Pollywog Ponds I walked from the entrance gate clear back to the Nueces River. The afternoon sky couldn't make up its mind to remain partly cloudy or overcast. By the time I reached the river, the clouds grew and made the photography lacking much color. The birds were very short in supply as well. I think it was the late hour in the day; most were looking for somewhere to roost for the evening. In any case, here's what I saw for the time there:





The two ponds

The pathways all decked out in lush greens and muted gray of the barren trees

A Lincoln's Sparrow  -  Nueces River

A deep Cavity [a future bird housing development?]  -  The down of a  Seed Pod

Cloud build up over the ponds  - Kingbird

Great Kiskadee  -  Golden Fronted Woodpecker



Another Seed Pod


 [the sign at the gate has ONE "L" in Polywog where the sign above shows TWO "Ls" in Pollywog] But, I question BOTH spellings; isn't it polliwog? With an "i"? Maybe not, I should make use of Google pro'ly.





....to the movies:

The Oscar Nominations were revealed Thursday. It wasn't much of a surprise.

We've seen five of the movies that are up for one or more categories: The Martian, Bridge of Spies, The Revenant, and The Danish Girl. And Star Wars. Now, if you want my opinion all the above were quite good, a couple I think in my opinion, were exceptional...The Danish Girl and The Revenant. I predict that the supporting actress will be Alicia Vikander, and Eddie Redmayne for best actor will take the coveted statue.  The movie, a very controversial subject of trans-gender...Mr. Rredmayne did a very believable job, and incredible depiction of the emotions/set backs/psychological traumas of wanting to be a woman instead and a decade of 'firsts'....this is based on a true story.  BUT there is too close a call for best actor...maybe a tie? Leonardo DiCaprio was wonderful, but in my heart Eddie did a better job!! And the movie of the year, I'd like to say [and I hope] The Revenant.  The Director, knowing Hollywood as they are, will go to Alejandro G. Inarritu - just for the fact the nomination has to have some political correctness involved since the nominations have been dubbed "The Whitest List" of Oscars in decades!!

26 comments :

  1. You have some great place for birding in Texas. Someday I hope to get there. I love the kingbird, another bird I would like to add to my list. Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The kingbird, they're very common here in South Texas!

      Delete
  2. I enjoyed all your pictures but my favorite today was the pathway with all that green. I can't wait to see that much green again

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was VERY green that day...I think the recent rains 'greened' up the grassy areas a lot.

      Delete
  3. I love that sign! Needs to be posted in many public places!
    Next week's photo hunt is C A T ‼️😻👏🏻
    Hugs Madi and mom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Leave nothing but footprints"? I too like that. I look forward to the cat hunt. I just know Madi will be a star celebrity!!

      Delete
  4. I still need to see The Revenant, but I loved The Danish Girl and think Eddie Redmayne was wonderful. But remember he won last year and DiCaprio has not won even one Oscar yet. I saw The Big Short today and think Steve Carrell should have been nominated. He was wonderful. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, two off the top of my head have won two consecutive awards...Tom Hanks and Katherine Hepburn. I'm sure there are others.

      I haven't seen Big Short. Don't even know what it's about. lol

      Delete
  5. Wow! that is one green pathway. We do have a lot of green this winter here too but not that plush.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The rains are keeping everything 'alive' this winter.

      Delete
  6. Will be seeing The Revenant soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A few parts, I warn you, are a bit gross. But all part of the storyline which should be included. So, it's well done.

      Delete
  7. I would absolutely love that place! It looks to be a wonderful place to go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And it's not a popular place .... always VERY quiet. That I like too.

      Delete
  8. Wonderful photo of the owl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks....that is a linked image for my birding blog.

      Delete
  9. I really love your seed pod photos! They are beautiful. Their delicate wispiness is amazing in these shots.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I count all my steps and if I'm a little short I attach my fitbit to one of the dog's collars (just kidding)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Goodness, what lovely captures, but you do know how to catch the best. I join you in that coloring, I wished for a new Secret Garden or the like from Santa, and well needless to say sometimes you have to help Santa help you. Enjoy your weekend and your lens!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohhhh, Secret Garden would be a great coloring book theme!!

      Delete
  12. How lush it still is by you! I always count my total steps inside and out. Many of my activities (skiing for instance) don't count as steps though they are vigorous exercise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well my app is phone only, and I don't carry it around with me all the time at home. Maybe I should. lol

      Delete
  13. Beautiful, lush and always wonderful shots!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh Nancy..it's so good to see you. I know now you and your family have been thru so much. Missed you...but, family first...take care. And return when you can.

      Delete

.