“A wise old owl lived in an oak;
The more he saw the less he spoke;
The less he spoke the more he heard...
Why can't we all be like that bird?”
― Edward Hersey Richards




my POETRY | MEME links | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes

Blog Best Viewed with 1600x900 Monitor or Larger
CLICK IMAGES FOR ENLARGEMENT SLIDESHOW
MEME Links are on one page-Use TAB on the menu bar, above!





It's Monday...

Y'all know, those who have followed me thru the years of blogging, I do love a good, close-score baseball game. But yesterday afternoon, I was on -the computer for some time following a link shared about Willie Nelson's accolade of The Library of Congress Gershwin Prize. What I'm saying is, the computer was on, and after I watched the nearly 2 hour special on PBS, I 'flipped' the channel and found CBS Sports to watch part of the playoff game of my 'home' team in NFL....the Denver Broncos. Granted, I do not care to watch anything televised any more because of the commercial time. But hey....the Broncos!! I ended up watching the entire game. Burned my entire mouth on a slice of homemade [and veggie only] deep dish pizza when Trussaint [the Steeler] fumbled the ball and it was recovered by my team!!....giving them an advantage to go ahead. Which they did...and won the game!! But even tho the Broncos now have home field advantage when they'll be pitted against the 'cheating' Patriots [no offense ...just kidding!] and Tom Brady. Manning, in the past, can't hold up to pressure and games that mean going to the Super Bowl!! Perhaps if the Broncos make sure the football is NOT deflated, Brady won't be able to handle and pass it accurately. LOL The Broncos, I guess have a 50/50 chance of winning the next round, but I can't believe my own words. Who am I kidding?!! I love the Broncos!! But Manning? Now, that's a whole 'nother blog post.

Anni: "Bud? Can you explain the deflated ball to me again?"
Bud: "It's a lot easier to handle when it isn't hard!"
Anni: :::snort::: "That's what I figured!"
[I'll go no further, promise!]

The deep dish pizza I make is simple. I buy frozen all wheat pizza dough, one green zucchini, 1 red bell pepper, 1 green bell pepper, about a dozen fresh shiitake mushrooms, and white onion. My sauce is nothing but marinara sauce blended on high, in the blender for thickness, Parmesan cheese and 2% mozzarella cheese. After spraying the cast iron skillet with non-stick spray, I spread the wheat dough up and over the edge of the skillet, pour in the sauce, sprinkle with Parmesan cheese, then layer the sliced zucchini, peppers, thin chopped onion, and mushrooms. Then cover with mozzarella cheese and bake in hot 475 degree oven for 20-25 minutes....taking it out of the oven when crust is well done, and cheese is bubbly....letting it stand for 5 minutes before slicing. Served with a tossed salad and vinaigrette dressing the pizza is filling, healthier than any meat lover's pizza, - a good meal for game time!! There are so many options for this pizza, and very easy. A favorite of the two of us.

Well, this morning it began the day clear and cool.  By mid morning it was perfect.  I drove to the islands to walk the salt flats and well, if I saw any birds, fine....but, all I really wanted to do was be outdoors, walking, and enjoying the blue sky and slight breeze coming off the coast.  And in the area I chose to walk, it's usually quiet...as it was today.  I walked three hours in the fresh air.  It did a body good.

Birds seen along the walk, white pelicans - brown pelicans, ibis [both white and white faced], snowy egrets, sandpipers, plovers, sparrows, mockingbirds, green herons, reddish egrets, willets, ducks, spoonbills, northern harrier, vultures, sea gulls, blue herons and more...I really didn't stop much to take many photos today, I was just there to enjoy the morning solitude. But, I didn't go home empty handed...the camera had a few photos to share. The ship [orange tanker] is NOT floating on land as it seems...an optical illusion!! The ship channel is beyond and behind the salt flats!!





34 comments :

  1. Now that the Seahawks are, I'll be hoping the Broncos win, but I feel pretty much the same: yes, anything can happen, but the Patriots are a tough team to beat. I'm rooting for Carolina to win the Super Bowl! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't follow any other team besides 'my' two...The Texans and Broncos. LOL

      Delete
  2. MA ~ Rooting for Patriots to get to the Super Bowl~ Fun post and great photos ~ pizza sound delicious ~

    Wishing you a Happy Week ~ ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have become hooked on the playoffs, Anni (and watched yesterday's game as well!!) My two "darlins'" will face off next week when the Broncos play the Pats. Of course, you do know that I am in total love with Peyton and Tom, right?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm still laughing at the answer about the deflated ball. It's a good thing I wasn't drinking my tea when I read that

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol....at least YOU got my drift. And purpose of posting our little conversation. lol

      Delete
  5. You always make me laugh! Your pizza sounds yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol....yes, that pizza IS very good.

      Delete
  6. Ouch... a burn like that really hurts... Nice that your weather allows you got get out nad enjoy...Michelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh it was....and manners, even if it IS just the two of us, made me not want to spit it out. So I let 'er burn. Dummy me.

      Delete
  7. The boat does look like an illusion, love all of the water shots, especially the next to last one, with the pathway leading into the distance.

    Mersad
    Mersad Donko Photography

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This area can change so drastically with the season changes too...very wet and boggy during rainy season, white almost desert-like during drought. Thanks Mersad.

      Delete
  8. Clever photo od the ship. I like those photos of the salt flats very much.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello, I think jokes about the deflated ball will be around for some time. I love your birds and the floating ship! Happy Tuesday, enjoy your week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That pizza looks a ton better than my bowl of Cheerios.
    Of course I love your bird photos.
    Hugs Madi and mom

    ReplyDelete
  11. I always enjoy your photos, and the pizza recipe sounds so easy and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is delicious, and, thanks Lea

      Delete
  12. Am not really into sports ...usually you wil gind me flipping through a book instead. Lol

    Oh....frozen pizza dough? I didnt know have this. Usually i use a slice of bread and put pizza topping on it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous1/19/2016

    We are Bronco fans since living in Denver for 5 years for me and 7 for my hubs, our only child was born in 1977 and she got the cutest Bronco memorabilia as she was born in a neat hospital that had a player whose wife had a lovely baby boy, our only was the only girl born that entire week and they did give us tons of stuff..We adore Peyton Manning, thinking him the premiere quarterback in all of the football teams and what a gentleman to boot..wow whee! GO BRONCOS to the Super Bowl and win again!

    ReplyDelete
  14. the pizza sounds really yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  15. YUM! I have a good large cast iron pan. Will steal your recipe and try it! What is the fork for? I never have watched football but glad you and so many others find it entertaining. The wood walk looks like it would be a nice adventure. Would they install a railing for me, ya think?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The fork is there, to CUT the pizza. Afterall it's deep dish and bubbly hot!!!

      Delete
  16. I love the shot of the boardwalk going into the marsh. You're walking up a storm, Anni! I just made a pot of veggie soup - tastes good on a cold day. Your pizza sounds delish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the fact that there is very little fat in this pizza. Cheese of course, but cheese [real cheese] is one thing I won't give up.

      Delete
  17. No Anni, now I feel like pizza. It's only 7.34am!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. pizza's good no matter what time of day. lol

      Delete

.