MEME Links are on one page-Use TAB on the menu bar, above!




To the MOON Alice!!! An Historic Day...

I will update on my cardiologist appointment in my next post...thanks for all the well wishes!!!


I have a couple of thoughts...July 20, 1969...do you remember what you were doing?  [If you were around then, that is]  ...and, As Jackie Gleason portrayed Ralph Kramden along with is costar, his character wife, Alice,  on an old TV program...as in OLD....before there were color TVs even!...The program was called The Honeymooners...when he'd get upset with her he'd say:  "One of these days, Alice...one of these days...to the MOON!"  Or something on those lines.  But, the subject of the moon will come in a bit.  For now, I begin with:

Counting my steps with my cellphone app, I reached nearly 9000 steps on another seawall trek...I'm not doing the usual distance walking like I do in the winter months...as I've stated before, it's just too humid to walk. Especially when you're downtown, with highrises, asphalt, and heavy traffic holding in the heat around the area. But, I guess I am doing pretty good, considering. I stopped in a few places to take photos. Sometimes along the walkway butted right up against the seawall, other times, I crossed the one way traffic lanes to walk in the shaded parts of the median that separates the flow of vehicles. There is really no rhyme or reason to the sequence today with my walk downtown, but brief explanations will show up here and there...


parkway lamp post with a masked bandit [loggerhead shrike] & a juvenile grackle


The shrike and another parkway lamp post


the same juvenile grackle and scaffolding surrounding the church & steeple.  Can you see the bronze statue at ground level in front of the church?


a closeup of the bronze statue of Christ protecting 'all sailors and ocean travelers'...a long distance sighting of the church steeple.


A rain-made pond [normally just grass, but with all the heavy rains!!]   And a new bronze statue of a couple enjoying the view of the Gulf of Mexico along the parkway [near the art center]


Building of new yacht tie-docks [piers] & a lone man contemplating life as he enjoys the sea...



...an old rugged cross along a breakwater in the bay, then...the same juvenile grackle calling mama 'cause some lady is bugging it and a threat to a peaceful morning!!




So, with the full moon on the 1st of the July, and it being clear skies [well, partially; there was a haze early in the morning, but the camera filtered through it], I tried out my new camera without a tripod again. I adjusted to black and white setting then snapped a few images.  I tried to hold the camera as steady as I could and hoped for the best!! At first I stood beside a tree in our back yard where my first image below shows some of the leaves/branch silhouetted on the moon glow... then, I moved away, snapped, zoomed a bit...snapped again, and zoomed fully.






...a few days later, I went back out in hopes of 'catching' a glimpse of some of the unique terrain created by Earth's shadow; this time 'round no black and white setting, just straight long distance shots [again, hand held with no tripod]:




46 years ago, on July 20, 1969, Apollo 11 touched down on the moon.  Neil Armstrong accomplished another first. With the immortal words, 'That’s one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind'. Buzz Aldrin joined Armstrong on the moon's surface. The two of them spent the next two and half hours exploring, taking pictures, and collecting samples...Before they took off back to Earth, Apollo 11 left evidence of their rendezvous in outer space. Besides Armstrong’s first footprint in the moon dust, the astronauts also planted a three foot by five foot nylon American flag mounted on a pole into the ground. But even with the extreme zoomed lens, I still can't find the American Flag on the moon's surface?!!! [insert wink] And there is supposedly no atmosphere on the moon, so it shouldn't be rotted...still there? Or did they EVEN LAND on the moon? Some believe it was a hoax. I'd like to think there is an American flag up there....somewhere. I'll keep searching.

62 comments :

  1. Hello Anni, wonderful post and images. I love the birds, especially the Shrike. And I like the statue of the couple. The moon shots are awesome, well done! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...Thanks for the compliments today Eileen.

      Delete
  2. You always have such wonderful pictures...your pictures of the moon put me to shame. I do, indeed, remember 7/20/69. It was the day after my 1st wedding anniversary, I was working the 3-11 shift at Swedish Hospital in Englewood, CO and hubby was at Ft. Riley, KS for basic training. The patients were all watching and for a short time nearly all were so enamored by what was transpiring they had no complaints. Have a glorious weekend and thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since I grew up just north of Denver...I DO know what hospital you worked at....small world!! Thanks Cathy.

      Delete
  3. Those are some pretty amazing moon shots, Anni!! We have some moon art on display, here at the museum where I work. Check this out: http://polkmuseumofart.org/moon-museum/ So there is art on the moon now, as well as our American Flag!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll go check it out when I finished visiting everyone today Terri.

      Delete
  4. Those moon images are stunning, Anni. And I love the juvenile grackle. Pray do tell: what app do you have on your phone for measuring your steps? Congrats on your achievement of 9000 steps. Have a great weekend. Jo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Jo....the app is called Noom.

      Delete
  5. What great walks you do! How could we forget the landing? Wonderful shots of our moon. You are really getting it all right with your photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Ms. G. I like the new camera, but with the lens at full zoom it's still a bit fuzzy/blurry outcome without the tripod.

      Delete
  6. Yes, I remember the moon landing so very well. Moments like that are never forgotten. I am addicted to my step counting app, too. You got some awesome shots, Anni! I am very impressed. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ....thanks D J. Thing is, unless I actually go OUT for a walk, the phone isn't being carried with me continually around the house...

      Delete
  7. Hi there Anni, loved going along on your walk! And those moon shots are amazing! Have a beautiful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you stopped by for a visit Jandi.

      Delete
  8. Amazing photos of the moon! Photos of Pluto next :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will have to get a search going and find out just exactly WHERE Pluto is. LOL

      Delete
  9. Hi Anni! :)
    Love the pictures of the bronze statues, especially the
    one in front of the church.
    And I'm amazed about your pictures of the moon!
    What kind of camera do you have? I want one just like that :))

    Have a beautiful weekend!
    Tinna ✐

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed the sculptures today Tinna.
      The camera I have is a Nikon. Just bought it a couple months ago. Still not used to it at all.

      Delete
  10. I like the statue couple, I wonder who they are. I like all your pictures as always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought that too when I saw it for the first time....who are they? Thanks Paula

      Delete
  11. Ah, your posts are always such a fun, interesting and beautiful way to start my day, Anni!! Thank you for sharing! Hope you have a great weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sylvia, have a good weekend yourself.

      Delete
  12. OH ANNI THANK YOU FOR TAKING EACH OF THOSE 9,000 STEPS TO SNAP ALL THE BEAUTIFUL PHOTOS YOU SHARE WITH US!! IT IS MISERABLE WALKING IN HOT, HAZY HUMID WEATHER.
    THANKFULLY THIS TIME OF YEAR WE WALK AT AN INDOOR MALL TO GET OUR STEPS IN BUT OUT SIDE IS MY FAVORITE PLACE TO WALK.

    I SURE DO HOPE YOUR APPOINTMENT WENT WELL.
    SENDING GOOD WISHES AND
    Hugs madi and mom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We end up at the mall sometimes too....but it's SO boring!!!

      Delete
  13. Amazing moon shots. I do remember the moon landing very clearly, it was such an achievement. Hope your appointment went well.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes I remember that date Anni, we got married on the 19th and the historic landing on the moon on the 20th. Hope everything went well for you at your appointment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...well, then, it's a double celebration of memories for you!!!

      Delete
  15. Such good shots of the moon. Very topical with Pluto in the news. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can never find your blog link through your profile name!!

      Delete
  16. Amazing moon photos! They really are incredible aren't they. I hope you find the flag one day. Thank you so much as always for joining in. I hope that you have a great weekend. xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. What incredible moon photos!!! Wow! You can almost see the flag!:-) My husband and I were newlyweds and watched the moon landing on a B&W TV in our little garage apartment, and even took photos off the TV screen! I hadn't thought about that anniversary coming up....wow to that too! Beautiful shrike and I love the statue at the base of the church steeple! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ....photos off the TV screen....did that work? I would have never thought of that.

      Delete
  18. I was scared of Ralph Kramden when he raise his hand at his wife Alice and said "One of these days" As for the moon landing I was in 3rd or 4th grade.
    I've been walking morning and evening. But usual the morning is when I do my longer walk.

    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For me, it's only one time a day. And then, sometimes it's not even getting out in the heat to walk.

      Delete
  19. Marvellous post Anni. Your Moon images are superb and i love the bronze statue of the couple as well as the critters. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks, have a great weekend yourself Margaret.

      Delete
  20. Hello Anni, I am just stopping back to say thank you so much for linking up and sharing your post. Have a happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for being such a good hostess for Saturday Critters Eileen!!!

      Delete
  21. It's hard to believe that man landed on the moon so long ago! Yep, I remember Ralph and Alice. ;) Hope your cardiologist has good news for you. And I want to thank you for posting the recipe for cleaning soap scum. Every time I use it I think of you. It really WORKS!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes....I am still amazed at the cleaning power! It DOES work beautifully. And thanks EG.

      Delete
  22. very nice moon shots and nice shrike sighting, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are such a quiet bird most times, it's rare to spot 'em from their song. Thanks Ms. T

      Delete
  23. I like the older moon which was mysterious and full of Chinese romance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...how interesting you write this.

      Delete
  24. I remember that day Anni. Even to this day I am astounded at man's continued ingenuity and will to explore our solar system. Just this week the pictures from Pluto were astonishing.

    At the same time I worry that we are destroying our own planet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Destroying our own planet indeed!!!

      Delete
  25. I was 7 in 1969 and I do remember The Honeymooners. I think I was seeing reruns of it but I still recall the show.
    Those are amazing shots of the moon. You must have one steady hand to take those fully zoomed with no tripod.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL...I had countless OTHER photos that were blurred...trust me.

      Delete
  26. I remember The Honeymooners well and the Apollo touchdown too.
    Great post and shots of the moon!
    As for blurred photos; I tell the RG all the time, if I had to buy film I wouldn't be doing this---click, erase---gotta love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ....oh, I agree. Digital cameras are super!! I too wouldn't be out photographing either with film.

      Delete
  27. Such rich information and visually pleasing content!
    I was not doing anything in 1969, at the tender age of -3 :)
    Nice snaps, Anni!
    Have a Beautiful Day!
    Peace :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Well from your photos here your downtown looks very nice! Great captures, and captions. Enjoy your weekend and keep up the good walking exercises!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Great series of moon shots! They're still a challenge for me.
    ~

    ReplyDelete
  30. I love Moon shots - I was taken into the only room in my Junior School that had a TV to watch a Moon Landing - I used to think it was the first one, but the dates do not add up. I wonder what people would do today for a similar event?

    Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
  31. Great and interesting thoughts, and photos too. Greetings!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Dear Anni, I think of you sometimes when I'm taking my walk - it's cool here. I really don't do humidity well. I try to get about 5 miles, but I know if it was hot, I'd do a lot less. Those Moon photos are fantastic. You must be steadier than I am! I remember The Honeymooners AND the Moon walk!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Thanks for the gorgeous photo shared !
    Today is the (Jul 20, 2015) is the 46th Anniversary of Apollo 11 accomplish its mission to the Moon.

    ReplyDelete

.