my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out


A Bunting we will go....Hi Ho the Derry-o A bunting we will go!

In between morning walks, household chores, and other everyday routines, I find myself in the middle of two very good reads!! On my sidebar I have Pioneer Girl as my most recent book. Well, let me tell you, it's a very LARGE book...and very heavy!!! I needed something to read at night when I am laying in bed before falling asleep. And this aforementioned book, being too awkward to handle in bed, I read that only at the times I'm up and wide awake, sitting! LOL [By the way, it's a very good, interesting book!!!] But, my second 'new' book, I found on the birding shelves at the book store and convinced myself it had to come home with me!! And I'm soooooooooo glad I did buy it. The "Grail Bird" is the Ivory Billed Woodpecker. One of the largest in the world!! And tho considered extinct...no sightings that have been proven with photos or nesting cavities actually found since 1944. Yet, there have been reports of them sighted as of 2005 but no proof.  At least not until I finish reading...that may change....The species is listed as critically endangered and possibly extinct by the International Union for Conservation of Nature. The American Birding Association (ABA) lists the ivory-billed woodpecker as a Class 6 species, a category the ABA defines as "definitely or probably extinct". All my bird guide books, and I have several - have them pictured, but listed as 'probably extinct'. This book is a treasure of stories related by the author from Cornell University's Ornithology Lab, and his own quest for the elusive bird; throughout the south and what little is left of 'virgin' forests, where the woodpecker inhabits. I find myself, turning the pages swiftly hoping to read that he spots one....yet, in all honesty, if he DOES spot one, I hope the location is NEVER given. If there IS one perhaps there are TWO and hopefully of the two sexes and the elusive bird is not, afterall, extinct and even low on surviving a species...I can say to myself, they WERE around when I was still alive.  And if there ARE any around, I would dream of going on a search myself....EXCEPT the swamps and snakes and alligators and other human haters would keep me home, tucked away in safer birding territories.  At my age now, it would be a pipe dream of actually finding one on my own and getting a photo of it.  I'll just sit back, and enjoy Tim Gallagher's quest for the Grail Bird....the Ivory Billed Woodpecker.


IN OTHER NEWS

Our two movies this week have been nixed for mini series that we have on DVD.  One is Horatio Hornblower [sea faring stories] and the other is one of my all time favorites!!  The Thorn Birds.  How often have I said to myself, about Richard Chamberlain....what a waste of human flesh for us females who drooled over him in the 60s and 70s...he coming out with his autobiography admitting he was gay.  I saw him jogging once, on the island of Oahu...my heart skipped a beat!!  I'll never forget that.  I was speechless...and to this day even, I wish I would have at least said "Hi" to him as we passed on the walkway.  My mouth just stopped working at the sight of him.  Dang. Anyway, the love story that evolves in the Thorn Birds still haunts me as to why he "loved God more"!!! Some of you who are devout, maybe you'd understand...but to have a love of the opposite sex willing to live together for eternity would make me settle for the love of the human flesh and heart.  And I've read the book over and over.

With the extreme heat of summer bearing down on us this past few weeks, our walking has been very sporadic and shortened by several hours ... we have been going mostly to the mall where it's air conditioned inside and getting our mileage there.  But Sunday morning, even tho the temp and humidity was high at 7:30 a.m., we still drove to the Oso Bay Refuge and walked in the heat.  I was glad to see our car at the end of our 2 hour trek!!  Even very few birds were seen.  Lots of joggers who were huffing and puffing along the trail...but the bird song was mostly from mockingbirds and doves.  They seem to cherish the inferno!!  At one point about to the end before we had to make an 'about face'...a wonderful song from the Painted Bunting high in the tree serenaded us.  I took a couple of photos of it, but the sunlight was all wrong for the pictures of the Bunting to be pixel perfect, but I'll still share...

Mockingbird

Painted Bunting [male...the female P Buntings are lime green, with no bright mixture of the colors of the rainbow like the male of the species]


Tho very little water in the pond, since they've drained it to begin a clean-up job, I still enjoy this bronze sculpture in the downtown area along the seawall and near the T-head/yacht club!! I tried to capture it so their reflection would show up somewhat...

The Young At Heart [I guess that's why I like it so]



Another bronze sculpture I like is found in the local gardens here on the outskirts of town. I like the weathered fencing in the backdrop along with the wildflowers that bloom AND the fact that it collects rain water and sometimes I've seen it frequented by birds and once a squirrel!!! Kinda like a female version of the St. Francis of Assisi sculpture. :-)


Nearby, another kind of fence...weathered and the wildflower landscaping gives a good opportunity for the shutter release button---




...this upcoming week, I'll be busy so won't be online much. Among so many other things happening, I have a check up scheduled with the cardiology surgeon who performed the stent operation on my heart in the ER back in March. Gonna be an anxious week for me 'til I see him and get a report on my progress.

94 comments :

  1. Wonderful captures and great post as always, Anni!! I'll be holding good thoughts for you next week and hope your doctor visit goes well!!

    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thank you kindly Sylvia.

      Delete
  2. I like the Thorn Birds too and have read it several times. I never saw the movie though.
    I love the sculpture of the children and the reflections - it really is charming!
    Praying for a good report from the Dr!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...the mini series follows the book very well.
      Thanks Mari, for the prayers, and glad you enjoyed the photos.

      Delete
  3. Good luck with your doctor visit! Praying for a good report. I loved the Thorn Birds, too, and (as you mentioned) what woman/girl didn't have a crush on Dr. Kildare? I enjoyed seeing the sculptures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Terri. You're back from your trip?

      Delete
  4. I remember swooning over RC when I watched the Thornbirds many years ago. Best wishes for a good Dr.'s visit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember The Thorn Birds!! Good for you in NOT getting out in the heat nearly as much as you used to do! I enjoyed your beautiul photographs - as always!
    Prayers on your check up. I think I know a little bit of how you feel........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thank you kindly Linda.

      Delete
  6. Love your photos Anni :)
    Mostly the one with the fence, with all those
    pretty blooming flowers :))

    And I'm sure you're doing good on your
    health! You'll see, you'll get a thumb up from him :D

    Have a beautiful week with lots of good news
    Tinna ✐

    ReplyDelete
  7. Danged, I'm almost tempted to check out the book on the woodpecker. The Thornbirds is like the all time greatest miniseries ever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? You and Bud are the only two men I know that enjoys Thorn Birds. And the book...worth reading.

      Delete
  8. Oh I like that fence capture, and the statues of course, especially the reflection in the water. I can't believe I missed or maybe just blocked his being gay, and just recall my sister going gaga over him as Dr. Kildare! We probably so every rerun a zillion times if possible. Enjoy your week, be sure to have some fun time too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karen...glad to know you enjoyed the post today. Yep, gay. Oh well, that's a loss for us girls. I will enjoy my week...hope you do too.

      Delete
  9. Love your shots of the mockingbird and the bunting. The reflections of the statutes in the pool almost look like reflections of real people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bethany....glad you enjoyed the photos today.

      Delete
  10. Good luck with your appointment.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I never watched the Thorn Birds other than the previews that would come on TV. That male painted bunting is beautiful. I love all the colors in him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They ARE pretty birds....I just wish the sunlight would have been better for the photo.

      Delete
  12. Hello Anni, I hope the Ivory-billed Woodpecker is still out there somewhere. I used to love watching Richard Chamberlain in Dr Kildare. Pretty shots of the Mocker and great sighting of the pretty Painted Bunting. Great reflection images. Enjoy your day and the week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...it would be wonderful to know it still flies the forests somewhere, hidden well!!! Thanks Eileen.

      Delete
  13. Love those reflections in your shots. The fence is so rustic and such a lovely shot as well.

    Mersad
    Mersad Donko Photography

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ....thanks. Glad you enjoyed the reflections and fence Mersad.

      Delete
  14. I watched the Thorn Birds when it first came out, and I read the book, too. It's been so long I had forgotten how much I liked it. I've read several accounts of the ivory billed woodpecker. I sure hope it managed to survive. That books sounds really interesting. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...it would be nice to know there are still some...far hidden in some remote forest area, protected from human invasion.

      Delete
  15. A great post! Wonderful birds and the reflections are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You do know how fortunate you are to have so many nice things to capture right close by, don't you? The reflection photo is wonderful to my eyes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I consider myself fortunate in so many ways. Thanks Ms. G

      Delete
  17. The Buntings are beautiful birds and I really like the reflections you captured. Try to keep cool in all that heat - it sounds a bit much even for an Australian!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh it's hot, hot, hot!! But expected for Texas along the coast, in the summer. Thanks Mick.

      Delete
  18. Staying cool is not so easy in that heat. Enjoyed the post and the photos especially the sculptures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed the photos of the sculptures.

      Delete
  19. Your book sounds like a good read, and fingers crossed that the Ivory billed Woodpecker is out there somewhere. Great looking Buntings.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love the reflections shots! All delightful photos and wonderful post ~

    Happy Week to you,
    artmusedog and carol

    ReplyDelete
  21. Dearest Anni; Oh My! I'm holding good thoughts for your doctor's visit as well. Mockingbird and sweet bunting couple, love their color♪♪♪ And the fence has really sweet color, too.
    Take Care and Lots of Love and Hugs from Japan, xoxo Miyako*

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wishing you a productive week with an excellent report from your cardiovascular surgeon. Praying for you! Cathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thank you so much Cathy.

      Delete
  23. I said a prayer for you...hope you don't get too stressed before you go to the check-up.

    I enjoyed this post...I keep checking the library for Pioneer Girl...I so want to read it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...your library may not have it in the 'inventory' yet.

      Delete
  24. Nice cool reflection for a hot day. Thanks for showing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thank YOU for visiting.

      Delete
  25. Beautiful images. The reflection is very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Great shots, Anni. Hoping you have a good report from your doc.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Love the reflections! I have hopes for that woodpecker too. Good luck at the doctor's!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ....thanks for the kind words Linda.

      Delete
  28. Very newsy post. I hope that you get a good report. I know how it is to have those kinds of appointments hanging over your head..... Love the photos.... Good luck... Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hopingall goes well with your appointments. great bird, fence and reflection shots in this post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thank you very much Margaret.

      Delete
  30. Lovely snap Anni. Love the birds.

    ReplyDelete
  31. On June 15, I drove from home to arrive in Cherokee Park early enough to hopefully get a glimpse of the nesting Mississippi Kites. The BirdKY alert had posted the news the middle of May and I was just making my way. While standing at that tree, a dear older man approached quietly behind me and stood with his camera on the ready. We made small talk and that turned into just sharing life...you that know me, I cannot just do small talk wink emoticon The man turned out to be Fritz Hilton, a renowned artist and Scientist. He has done work for National Geographic, James Audubon Society and scores of other credits were found when I went on search about him. You just never know who you are going to meet, standing under a tree in the middle of a huge park on an early Monday morning. Oh and yes, I snapped a few images of the male Mississippi Kite,
    http://www.ftmyersmagazine.com/FtM-edit.Hilton.html
    http://www.courierpress.com/g…/lifestyles/birds-of-a-feather
    Anni, the reason that I mention him here,is that he was with the last person to take photographs of the Ivory Billed Woodpecker and made sure that Cornell got all of the final documentations on such after the passing away of that gentleman, whom I have forgotten his name. Anyway, I found him to be the genuine deal and very interesting. One never knows who they might meet, or what they might see, when they go birding~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, yes....VERY interesting people for the most part!! How exciting to be able to talk with one of the researchers of the Ivory Billed tho....thrilling.

      Delete
  32. So interesting about the book The Grail Birds! I knew there were other books out there about the Ivory Billed, but several years ago I became entranced by The Ghost Birds by Stephen Lyn Bales, as a result of his blog! The book is excellent, and Tim Gallagher gives it high praise on the Amazon review. It's about Jim Tanner's expedition to document the Ivory Billed if it still existed, and Stephen Lyn Bales actually knows his widow. If you go to my sidebar to my blog list you will find Nature Calling, which is Bales' blog. He doesn't visit a lot of blogs to comment so when you start following him, it is mostly a one-sided affair, though he will often let you know how much he appreciated your comment, and he will visit your blog though he doesn't leave a comment. He works at the Ijams Nature Center in TN and has written countless articles and books. His blog is a wonderful nature blog and well worth the time to visit. On his sidebar is also the review I did of The Ghost Birds after I read it, and I was happy to see it still there, though I finally took The Ghost Birds off my sidebar as a feature where it had remained for over two years. (Now my Mom's book is in its place! ) I figured you might enjoy Bale's book since you enjoyed Gallagher's.

    Wonderful post! I will be praying for a good report at the Dr. Enjoyed all the photos, and the book and mini-series reviews. I loved The Thorn Birds both the book and series when it was out. I bet it was great seeing it again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds interesting...I also found another book about Tanner. He was a co-hort of searchers and researchers with the author of Grail Bird also. He was very dedicated!!! I'll have to make sure I keep watch for the book on shelves in my local book stores...or order one soon.

      Delete
  33. Hi Anni, Thorn Birds is a long time favorite too. Great pics, Love the statues walking along the rocks. Sweet fence shot. Hope all goes well with your appt. Blessings, cm

    ReplyDelete
  34. Great post, interesting, funny and informative why ask for more?
    Hope all goes well with the Dr. this week.
    Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  35. Oh beautiful shots good luck with the doctor and try to keep cool. I remember the Thornbirds. Take care of yourself OK. Hug B

    ReplyDelete
  36. very cute sculptures. i like the sweet picket fence. good luck at the doctor appt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like 'em too Ms. T. Thanks, and thanks for hosting.

      Delete
  37. You never disappoint us with your interesting post. I enjoy reading as well, but not the big books. I go to the library and check them out. They have the latest issues. We are going through some very hot days now too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping for a 'cold' front to move in...sooner than later. LOL Thanks LV

      Delete
  38. I still haven't seen the common Piliated Woodpecker and have been looking for him for years ... The Ivory Billed Woodpecker would be , like you, way out of my reach, but I did follow the excitement when they thought they had spotted one. That they haven't found him again or seen a mate doesn't bode well for their future, but one can hope.

    I wouldn't worry about seeing your surgeon. You have been doing everthing you were supposed to do and you are probably in better shape than you have been for many years. He will be pleased, as will you and I am guessing a clean bill of health will be your outcome. That is not to say you shouldn't keep up the good work of staying healthy. We do enjoy havning you around and especially enjoy seeing you healthy again. I too read Thorn Birds many years ago and couldn't understand it either. But, loved the story and read it more than once myself. Stay well, Anni ...

    Andrea @ From The Sol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You dear Andrea, continue to make me feel secure and good...deep inside!! Thank you, and thank you again.

      Delete
  39. Love your birdie pics.

    I remember all those minseries from the 80s, it seems like Richard Chamberlain was in every one.

    Good luck with the doctor!
    ~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was very popular back then, wasn't he? Thanks!!!

      Delete
  40. Very enjoyable post. I think it would be neat if that woodpecker did still exist.
    Very nice fence shot this week, I like the wild flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Hi Anni, Neat photos! Good luck with the doctor!

    ReplyDelete
  42. Like those wild flowers and picket fence.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Hi Anni,
    Totally loved all the photos, especially the reflection of the statue!
    Have a Wonderful Day!
    Peace :)

    ReplyDelete
  44. Hoping for a good report and peace of mind. I like the girl garden statue, as well as the figures at the pond. Love those colorful buntings, too.

    ReplyDelete
  45. Nice looking fence and other images which are simply lovely. With best wishes for your good health!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ....glad you enjoyed this post....thank you.

      Delete
  46. Hope there is good news about your heart!

    A lovely series of shots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, and thanks for the well wishes!!

      Delete
  47. Fantastic photos! Interestingly, right after the Ivory Billed Woodpecker was re-discovered, I drove through Brinkley, AR, which was the little town nearest to where the bird was rediscovered. They didn't have much else going for them but that bird. It was neat to be there and see all the "woodpecker" themed promotion going on.

    Thank you for joining us for Photo Friday again this week!

    ReplyDelete

.