my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out


Hot .... and more HOT!!!

FIRST DAY Total Steps: 8,203


ALRIGHTY THEN. After reading D J's [known in blogland as D Janity] post about her health app that counts/records each step she takes ...a pedometer, for her iPhone, I had to go to Google Play Store and search for something similar to that but for an Android Phone. I found several and chose one to install. It only keeps track of the steps you take which is what I wanted. AND!!! Best part is, it does NOT consume a lot of the phone's battery charge. 'Nother thing that I like, the waist band carrier I use for ID purposes and carrying my cards with me....having the phone closed in the carrier, it STILL keeps track of my step count accurately too, I counted the steps along with it's count....same as my own. The Android app is FREE and it's downloadable from your phone's Google Play Store...called Noom Walk [Moon?....nah, it's NOOM]  But, as D J mentioned the goal that's considered highly active would be 10,000 steps per day. Now....how many steps would equal a mile? According to all walking for exercise sites, it says the average is 2000 steps per mile. I would have to argue this point. In other words, don't go by the "average numbers". Why? I would think each person differs. There may be an 'average' total to equal a mile, but I TAKE SMALL STEPS!!! Logically,  I would be using MORE energy and taking more steps than Bud because of the stride distance and breadth in comparison!!!   I'm burning up energy more rapidly than Bud 'cause his wide stride is torture for me to match, while for him,  his pace is leisurely.  Wouldn't that be the situation? In other words, walking with Bud as I usually do, I will reach the 10,000 much quicker than he keeping up with Bud's momentum.  So, it's definitely an INDIVIDUAL number to equal a mile/5 miles. In most cases, I am familiar with distance where we walk, so I know how many miles it would be beforehand. The guide for walking from the CDC in America tells us: Walking 10,000 steps equates to about five miles a day, which comes out to about 90 active minutes a day. That is three times the amount recommended by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Instead, it recommends adults engage in 150 minutes of moderate activity a week, such as brisk walking. To meet the CDC's recommendation, you would only need to walk about 7,000 to 8,000 steps a day.

graphic borrowed from website



- - -* * *- - -


ONE THING that has been a true positive from the wettest month on record in the state of Texas this past May is the fact that I haven't seen our Crepe Myrtle Bushes bloom so profusely!!  What with the drought we experienced since...


...before this past Spring, we were doing good to see even a sprinkling of color from them....but this year it's a whole different story. Of course we have the 'natural colored bushes'...the lavender and the hot pink. But a few years back I bought and planted a hybrid. "Strawberries and Cream" which is the ruby and white tipped blossoms in the last photo on the right. This season it's getting mighty pretty...






- - -* * *- - -


OUR TWO MOVIES for the week have been a new one I found on DVD cheap, and the other is an oldie favorite. The oldie first. Beverly Hills Cop II. Judge Reinhold as Billy Rosewood is a fun character in this movie. He makes me laugh several times during the flick. Then, on to the new one. It was a two part miniseries from Australia I believe. Called The Incredible Journey of Mary Bryant. A true story. A teen, Mary, is imprisoned for stealing some coins and a bonnet in England in the 1700s. She is sentenced to go to the not yet built [her shipmates as other prisoners are instructed to build] penal colony in Botany Bay. Her story is told from her pregnancy and giving birth on the ship while at sea, befriending another prisoner [soon to be husband during her colony life] having two children; she's reputed to be the first to successfully escape the penal colony with her two children & husband...only to lose all to the fever aboard the small boat they used to escape... and live out her life at home again, in England. It was a good two part movie.  It was somewhat predictable, but yet held my interest throughout.  The character acting was quite good, and emotions were high during a lot of what happened to her during her stay at the penal colony AND her notorious escape.


- - -* * *- - -


OUR WEEKLY DRIVE to Port A took us to Charlie's Pasture North.  This time, since it was quite hot and humid we took the shorter of the two trails.  The short one is more in the chaparral areas of the pasture; hardly any water.  But, while walking the path, you can keep track of the ship channel activities.  In fact at one point during the trek, the walkers have an option at a fork in the trail...go to the right and continue walking the path to a birder's gazebo, or left and end up at the trail's end at the channel itself.  As I said, the morning hour was very humid and the closer we got to the waterway, the more mosquitoes let us know just how hungry they were, so while a ship was going through, I only got a chance to take ONE photo of the dolphin activity before I  just had to keep moving, the blood suckers were so bad!!! The bird life was quiet also in the inferno...a couple of mockingbirds, a few white ibis, white tailed hawks [3], some great blue herons, egrets, and brown pelicans showed themselves sporadically.



- - -* * *- - -


Before we flipped a "U" to return to the park's parking lot, the grayish, swampy, green-gray overcast sky was breaking and the puffy clouds sparkled with the hot sunshine glaring down on us all too soon.  I also snapped a photo of one of the ferry boats transporting vehicles, crossing the channel, from Aransas Pass to Port Aransas. We did see quite a few jack rabbits...and they were HUGE! ---







...when we arrived home, the atomic thermometer showed an outdoor temperature of 97 degrees. IN THE SHADE!!

76 comments :

  1. those bushes are gorgeous and we are matching you in heat/humidity/mosquitoes. i have two bites on my arm while sitting here, 3 or more have taken up residence in the house and driving me nuts. the back yard i cant stay in it more than five minutes at a time. even in the pool the skeeters buzz my face.
    no rabbits here and yours are cute.what big ears they have. alas, i have no android or fit bit, but i know it takes me 20 minutes to walk a mile, so all i have to do is keep track of how long i walked and do the math...with the calculator.. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...20 minutes is a good time for a mile walk....in this HEAT?---that's mighty good!

      Delete
  2. Such beautiful, colorful blossoms and, of course, I LOVE the bunny and his big ears!! Always fun to see and read your photos/post for the day, Anni!! Hope you have a wonderful, comfortable??? weekend!! Enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll no doubt stay indoors over the weekend...for the most part anyway. lol Too hot to do much of anything else...you understand being one who lived in Texas before.

      Delete
  3. Hi Anni, it is nice to know that the android has the step counter too. My sister has one of those fitbit, she is a fanatic about it. I found I can do a mile in 17.38 minutes on my treadmill in the comfort of my house. I love your crepe myrtle bushes, the blooms are lovely. Cool capture of the dolphins and the bunny is cute! Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've not heard of 'fitbit'...will have to look that up now.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful flowers and nature scenes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Our crepe myrtles usually bloom the first week in July. They are loaded with buds so they should be spectacular this year.
    Love the rabbit pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For some reason our myrtles bloom later than most of the city...I'm thinking we have them in a more shaded area...that might have something to do with it.

      Delete
  6. I'll have to look for that app. I've bought inexpensive pedometer and they never seem to work very well. They either don't count my steps or they end up resetting themselves part way through the day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It works...I recommend it.

      Delete
  7. That app sounds good. I've been on that ferry many times...have spent the winter on both sides of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...of the two areas, I prefer Port A!!

      Delete
  8. I've never seen crepe myrtle but your pics are sure pretty. would love to see dolphins sometime.

    your bunny ears are so cute too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ....come on down to Texas...I'll show you a whole city filled with crepe myrtles this time of year...and we could drive a short distance and you'll see a lot of dolphins too!!!

      Delete
  9. Nice shots, especially of the sky, but your post reminded me of why I love south Texas, in the Winter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spring Fall and Winter is good here!!! lol

      Delete
  10. I always enjoy seeing your photos! We just watched Beverly Hills Cop II last weekend! LOL Fun movie!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love all the shades of pink you have blooming. I saw a snowshoe hare while walking in the forest - they're big, too! I wear a watch that gives me steps and will also give me heart rate if I'm doing something really strenuous and wear the monitor. Counting the steps gives you a little impetus to keep moving toward a goal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep....I remember lots of snowshoe rabbits in the Rockies!! As for the wearing of the watch, I'd prefer the cellphone app since I wear no jewelry when I'm out walking.

      Delete
  12. We had 18 Myrtles in our old home in Texas. I love them trees - so beautiful.
    Your photos are very beautiful, Anni.
    I hear from all my friends in TX that it was a very wet year.
    Good in a way, ya know? For TX!
    Have a Wonderful Day!
    Peace :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, even with the flooding in May, I am not complaining...much better than drought. In my opinion.

      Delete
  13. Love your crape myrtle! Wow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks, glad you enjoyed it.

      Delete
  14. OH Lordy, I don't think I would be able to survive 90 degrees in the shade. Mercy Today I got in just under eight miles and around 16,000 steps, but that was my Thursday hike after all. I don't do that every day, not that I could if I wanted to. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep...hot for sure. Hotter than a snake's belly in a wagon rut!!

      Nope, I couldn't walk THAT many steps in this inferno!!! Never, ever.

      Delete
  15. Your flowers are beautiful. Don't you just love to see those big Jackrabbits? I'm so glad they are back at the ranch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Tx's wildlife...except for any kind of snake. lol

      Delete
  16. Beautiful flowers, great.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think that you are very correct in your assumption for the pedometer and the walking strides of different people. I walk fast, but with my husby's stride, could never keep up. We all have to measure our own, as best we can. I am missing my Crepe Myrtle. The Winter snagged it and other plantings from us~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...that's too bad about the winter kill! Maybe if it warms up, look at the root/ground base, it may still come back!

      Yep, you and I agree with that stride/step count.

      Delete
  18. Ah, lucking you that you can grow Crepe Myrtle. Tom The Backroads Traveller

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're doing so well this year!!

      Delete
  19. Our Crepe Myrtles have bloomed like crazy this year too. I've not cut them back in several years either. Love those bunny ears! :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed the bunny ears Jen....and yes, the myrtles are astounding...almost top heavy so full of bloom they are.

      Delete
  20. the dolphins are awesome! love the rabbit ears, too. our myrtles are just beginning, but they're in good shape this year. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...and the myrtles, as I said, are awesome this year.

      Delete
  21. i LOVE your crepe myrtles, i'm going to have to plant some here. i had planted one at our georgia house and recently when my daughter and i google earthed it, the new owners tore it out, dummies! love the dolphins and bunny ears too! have a great weekend anni and thanks for linking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thank YOU, Tanya, for hosting.

      Delete
  22. I am amazed by the rookery . . Brilliant!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm thinking you visited my bird photo blog then, Thanks!!!!

      Delete
  23. Love the Jack Rabbit that may think he's hiding.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...they were plentiful that morning, and indeed...'think' it's hiding!!

      Delete
  24. Don't tell me that those ears belong to a sweet little bunny. Ah, the better to hear you with, my dear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. they are rather large, aren't they?

      Delete
  25. Very enjoyable Friday 5 - I need to walk more myself.
    Loving those gorgeous flowering bushes.
    Also the tall bunny ears, so cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ida....loved your caption challenge today.

      Delete
  26. You have had a very busy week. I hope that the walking goes well for you and that you work out the right number of steps or time for you. The crepe myrtles really are so very beautiful aren't they, I can see why you are happy to see them! Thank you for joining in. I hope that you have a great weekend!! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...I try to keep busy...doing nuttin' LOL

      Delete
  27. I should look in to a waits band carrier . . that sounds smart.
    I don't carry a fancy phone - BUT, i do wonder how many steps I manage . . interesting.
    Your flowers - are LOVELY.

    ReplyDelete
  28. The bunny ears are way larger than the ones we see here. Crepe myrtle bushes in full bloom are wonderful to see. We are back in PA and the surroundings are lush too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet it's pretty up there this time of year...but it's pretty ANY time of year in the parts of PA I've seen.

      Delete
  29. That spy in your mobile sounds great, I should
    get one for myself too. :)
    And I like your pretty bushes around your house.
    And thanks for showing a dolphin :)

    Have a wonderful weekend!
    Tinna ✐

    ReplyDelete
  30. LOVE your crepe myrtle! Oh how I miss those pretty things! You have some beautiful ones. And the running rabbit was so cute! Great sky shots as well. Glad you had a good trip to Port Aransas. I also enjoyed reading about the two part mini series...I'll look into that one. It sounds so interesting! Not "into"any apps at all...just refuse to do anything with my phone but call and text a little. I have a little pedometer I really need to use! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Beautiful flowers! I love your bunny shots. What big ears you have!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hi Anni, just stopping back back to say thank you for linking up and sharing your post. I love the dolphins. Have a happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thank YOU for hosting Eileen.

      Delete
  33. WOW! Those bunnies eaars are HUGE! Love all the flowers, very pretty Anni. Have a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the saying goes "Everything's bigger in Texas"....guess this proves their theory. lol

      Delete
  34. Oh my goodness this is so what I'm living right now. My hubby just got his very first iPhone, and his favorite thing is counting his steps. He just sat down and showed me what he walked already this morning! Of course he always has his phone in his pocket, if not in hand, and I don't carry mine around so yeah.... he's got three times what the normal person does!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's me here that counts the steps....Bud could care less. LOL But, I don't do it every day...just when I go walking for the exercise.

      Delete
  35. Great shots of the Jack Rabbit! ~ Too hot for me ~ hope you have a cool sanctuary at home ~

    Happy Weekend,
    artmusedog and carol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh it'll get hotter the longer the summer is around....trust me. But there is always a sea breeze. That helps a bit...not much, but I'm not complaining.

      Delete
  36. Love the cute bunny and its ears.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Great that you got a nice dolphin pic.

    I am covered with mosquito bites. The only thing that stops the itch (for me) is Benadryl 2% (and we're out. :P )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh mosquito bites make me quite miserable...for a long time.

      Delete

.