“A wise old owl lived in an oak;
The more he saw the less he spoke;
The less he spoke the more he heard...
Why can't we all be like that bird?”
― Edward Hersey Richards




my POETRY | MEME links | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes

Blog Best Viewed with 1600x900 Monitor or Larger
CLICK IMAGES FOR ENLARGEMENT SLIDESHOW
MEME Links are on one page-Use TAB on the menu bar, above!





MEMErized by heart...



I am going to try and add images today for most of the following week's memes since it will be kinda busy around here with not much time to be online. Nature Notes and Our World is all inclusive for EACH image. So, here goes:

Reflections Weekend:

A 'tame' goose [one of several] that is a full-time resident of a park on Holly Drive.

Macro:

A bleeding heart plant found in the city park along Shoreline Drive.



WILD BIRD & GOOD FENCES:

The two birds here in these two photos along fence lines...top: Willet bottom: Mourning Dove
The Willet was spotted at Indian Point Park and the Mourning Dove was sighted at Oso Bay Nature Center. Both perched on fencing that meanders in the 'swamp/marshy areas' of the parks that take you to observation platforms


SkyWatch:

A very temperamental morning sky with two Nighthawks catching flying insects after an overnight storm.



CRITTER:

Can you tell me what kind of critter this is? Yes, it's an animal!! [I purposely 'softened' the image to blur it somewhat] There is a story behind this image, and I will get back to regaling the tale in time. I have more photos of it, but I haven't the time to sit down and type the whole saga for now. The very day I got the photo of the mourning dove, shown above, I saw this fellow/gal out in the marshy part of the bay water. I thought I'd add this as a 'teaser' for now and get back to you.


WILLY NILLY - 5 Randoms


May 28th is National Hamburger Day. Yahoo did a taste test of the top 5. I disagree with their #1 choice!!

Don'tcha just hate it when you read an email and there is something of interest [for me this week it was a birding tour for the Houston Metro area]. And the details listed had no real pertinent information?!! Responding to get the hour/date/meeting place was a waste of my time....why didn't they include that in the initial email?

This week I did my own taste test. For a cool refreshing mid-day drink, I've been drinking a 'new' NATURAL Ginger Ale that is three times the price of Canada Dry which has a great amount of sugar. Ummmm, the natural Zevia Brand is boasted to contain no artificial sweeteners and all other kinds of hype, but it really leaves a nasty after-taste.  And to top it off, I really can't say there is much GINGER flavor.  Sometimes cost isn't a factor in the 'better' product.  This is case in point in my opinion.

Monday is the 1st day of Hurricane Season for the Atlantic/Gulf of Mexico....National Oceanic Atmospheric Association {NOAA for short} and other weather websites predict a Lower Than Normal Season....guess what?  I disagree.  lol

History Channel has a mini series airing on cable/online sites....TEXAS RISING.  It's about the aftermath of the historical battles after the Alamo.  I can't say I'm impressed with it so far...it's more or less likened to Eastwood's Spaghetti Westerns.  And to know who is who for the most part in the beginning is a bit frustrating...but gets better when the characters are known.  The series is just okay.  Nothing spectacular....and besides, a TEXAS history of the birth of the state...filmed in MEXICO?  Why, Goliad [even in the 1800s] and the surrounding area in real life, people, doesn't even come close to what the HC has depicted....what's wrong with this picture?   Why couldn't it have been filmed in Texas y'wonder?    I understand that the viewership dropped considerably for the 2nd installment...it's just not all that  historically significant for the most part.  Hmmmm.  Highly disappointing in my opinion.  Mundane script, mediocre acting, wrongful surroundings, a bit inaccurate according to state history....Definitely a C-, and by the time the 10 hour series is over, I'm not so sure it may drop to a D.  I will watch it in its entirety tho.  It's history...even tho inaccurate and sloppily produced...the 'big celebrity cast' won't help pull it to an award winning series, sorry to say..



58 comments :

  1. I tried Zevia also; hated it, quite frankly, and couldn't give the stuff away! Is your mystery critter a snake or eel?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is your mystery creature a relative of Scotland's Lake Ness Monster, perhaps?? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Anni, I love the cute goose and reflection. And the nighthawk is a cool sighting. I am guessing your mystery critter is an eel? I have found Canada Dry has a Ginger Ale Ten calorie that I like, I just can not find it all the time. Happy Friday and have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the pretty goose, especially. Very nice job of getting all those memes into one post! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. My goodness, Anni, you have really filled up the blog spot today with all the memes. Good job. I agree with Eileen that the critter might be an eel, kind of creepy. Hope your time away is a happy occasion, and will look forward to your stories.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally forgot to celebrate National Hamburger Day yesterday. That must be mended this weekend! :D

    Mersad
    Mersad Donko Photography

    ReplyDelete
  7. we celebrated national burger day yesterday...i took the boys to wendy's...it's the closest place to us and they like their bacon cheeseburgers...i do like burger king, but i'm pretty much the only one in my family that does ha! i didn't even know about the alamo mini series and why they heck would they film it in mexico?! too bad it's not as good as you expected...my husband has an ancestor that was there, daniel cloud! the critter looks like an eel? thanks for linking and have a great weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I taped some of Texas Rising and have not seen it yet but with the bad reviews I have been reading I may just skip this one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. All your images are lovely. The History Channel is woefully misnamed. It needs a "Not really" in it before the word history. We have given up on it totally.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You did a great job covering all the different memes.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Bleeding heart is something I don't have in my flower beds. That is sure a pretty one.
    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ah, another fun, fascinating post for the day, Anni!! Have to admit I gave up on television in general years ago and although I still have one, I haven't turned it on in almost two years. Maybe I'll have to update it and try again one of these days!! Hope you have a beautiful weekend!! Enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful photos, you captured the goose in an amazing stance.

    ReplyDelete
  14. They are really beautiful photographs. The one of the Bleeding Heart is particularly stunning. X

    ReplyDelete
  15. That bleeding heart is so beautiful! LOVE the birds too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. the mystery critter looks like an eel... you did a fantastic job with all the categories. love that flower and the fantastic goose reflection.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you for joining in. I hope you have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ha-ha. Loved what Sallie wrote. The Not So History Channel. I haven't watched tv in years. Love the goose and bird photos. Perhaps an eel, but I've just read that most species are nocturnal. They certainly aren't the most attractive creatures. :) Best wishes, Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  19. lovely lovely goose, love your photos :-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love that goose, but now I'm mystery bound on the oh my it could be a couple of things... bring that saga soon, okay?!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I like that picture of the goose. I have no clue what the mystery animal is.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love your goose pic! Is the mystery animal a snake? Staying tuned for more on that story...
    Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Looking forward to some answers about the mystery animal. I haven't heard anything really good about Texas Rising so I don't have much interest in it.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Loved your photos, especially that cute goose! As for Willy Nilly, not sure I agree with many of the "top five" chain burgers, at all! Though I enjoy Wendy's, I'd say Hardee's (Carl's Juniors) new all natural burger would be my top choice! And Texas Rising, first of all, I agree....why couldn't they film it in Texas!!!???...Overall it isn't historically accurate, I agree, but what I do like about it is that even though they take liberties with the truth of events, they do show the spirit of the fights that brought about the birth of Texas, and follow the actual leadership moves of Houston. If you watch ANY movie about the Alamo or its aftermath you get similar liberties and untruths (and even more when it comes to characterizations of Houston and Crockett and others). You just have to weed through what isn't right and hang onto what is. It always makes me want to read more about actual events when I see something like this. I just bought a bio of David Crockett. :-) Hope the hurricane season is NOT bad this year, but like you, I am expecting some really bad events. Hope you have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hello Anni, just stopping back to say thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Have a happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I think it might be an otter. Good photos this week! Happy weekend! hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  27. The bleeding heart looks very different from those I'm used to seeing. Critter may be an eel.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I haven't bought a hamburger for a long time so can't say.;P The goose and reflection are so cute. I love mourning doves, such sweet birds, I finally have a pair living in my yard. The flowers are cute too, they look like pink mustaches or lips. I grew up in Houston and I know how it can rain there, the storms are fantastic. It's sad about the recent flooding.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Pretty pics...and I vote for Sea Monster!
    ~

    ReplyDelete
  30. Could it be some kind of eel?

    ReplyDelete
  31. I love the goose reflection!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Beautiful photos, Anni! The bleeding hearts are so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  33. What a treasure-trove of images! Thanks so much for sharing the love up-close with I Heart Macro ♥

    ReplyDelete
  34. Anni this is what I call a Mega magnificent post!! Bravo you covered all your bases!
    Happy Week. Thursday is Hug your Cat day!!
    Hugs madi and mom

    ReplyDelete
  35. The goose is awesome and reflection. The last one is a mystery. Not sure if this is a lake it is on.
    So I say Otter. We have Otters where I live in the winter coming up from the frozen lake and also in the Summer. Like you say it is not clear. I did bring it up large. So I will keep to my guess OTTER..

    ReplyDelete
  36. Oh no! I missed hamburger day! Enjoyed seeing your birds, etc. Can't wait to hear about your mystery guest.

    ReplyDelete
  37. I've heard that the Texas Rising series was quite a disappointment as far as accuracy went. I didn't watch.
    I agree about the high cost of a product not necessarily making it a better product. I've not tried Zevia because I actually like Canada Dry Ginger ale so why mess with a good thing.
    I enjoyed your bird shots and the pretty pink flower, I've never seen a bleeding heart like that before though. - I'm thinking you might have perhaps a "mink" in the shot or an otter?

    ReplyDelete
  38. You did well wrapping it all in one package. My favorite is Skywatch.
    Don't make us wait too long to identify the mystery creature.
    I'm a Schweppe's gal myself with just a spritz of wine.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Great photos! I love one of the goose stretching its neck.
    Please come share at http://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2015/06/nesting.html

    ReplyDelete
  40. I'm late but catching up! I'm glad we didn't start watching Texas Rising. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  41. A nice series Anni. Love the Willet. is that an eel?

    ReplyDelete
  42. A great looking Willet.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Burger King hamburgers okay, but can't say that I think they are the best either. I ready your post last night, and now can't remember what all I wanted to say except that. And I wondered was the creature an eel?

    As for Texas rising...we did not start watching the first episode till it had been on a little while, but in plenty of time for me to hear one kid make a comment that just sort of made me not to watch it at all. And I have heard a lot worse, and even thought worse at times in life, but it just set me till I did not want to see the rest of it. There was not need for it...it is like they cannot make one show without crude or vulgar remarks in it.

    And some of the stuff that I did see just did not ring true to how people would act back then....and I not even talking about the historical correctness of it.

    ReplyDelete
  44. What a wonderful series of shots! That creature in the last shot looks a lot like a snake...

    ReplyDelete
  45. Love your bird shots but all your photos are lovely! Can't say I've ever seen a bleeding heart that looked like that. Going to have to google that one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  46. Lovely shots. I especially like the goose and its reflection.

    ReplyDelete
  47. Nice job writing a post for the memes.... I love the goose and have no idea what the last photo is, but I hope it isn't dead. I am sorry I missed the program as I love history stuff and don't know a lot about Texas at all.... Here my husband loves a small bar that does the best hamburgers and was even on the Food Network... Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  48. My favourite image is the first one with the lovely reflection.

    ReplyDelete
  49. Great shot of the Willet on the railing. I love the shots that are just a bit different than what you normally see!

    ReplyDelete
  50. Lots of wonderful images, I am curious about the mystery critter. Maybe an otter?

    ReplyDelete
  51. Gosh, that tame goose is just the cutest ever! Now what is that mystery critter? Still wondering!

    ReplyDelete
  52. thanks, anni. i do love that goose reflection shot.

    ReplyDelete
  53. I'm back again to find out what the creature is!
    ~

    ReplyDelete
  54. I love that goose reflection shot. And yeah, it seems odd to me that the series about Texas isn't filmed in Texas. I mean it's not like Texas is so small and crowded that they couldn't find room! I remember being amazed at how huge the cloverleafs are in the road system. I wonder how many Englands would fit inside Texas?

    ReplyDelete
  55. goose long neck - bleeding heart so so pretty poppin color- Is it a sand skink??

    ReplyDelete

.