“A wise old owl lived in an oak;
The more he saw the less he spoke;
The less he spoke the more he heard...
Why can't we all be like that bird?”
― Edward Hersey Richards




my POETRY | MEME links | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes

Blog Best Viewed with 1600x900 Monitor or Larger
MEME Links are on one page-Use TAB on the menu bar, above!





...Oh What a Ratly Feast....



Grassy fields Forever!!  [Calallen, Texas]


There is an elderly woman in Port Aransas, that each morning during Spring Migration, she dons her wading boots and opens the back of her SUV to grab a large bag of orange halves! She then wades out in the pond where she has strategically placed nails in boards....propping the orange halves for the birds. But, on this particular day, there was another kind of critter waiting for hand-outs!! When I saw it in the back corner, nearest the fence line, I thought of Templeton the Rat from the animated movie, "CHARLOTTE'S WEB".
    A fair is a veritable smorgasbord orgasbord orgasbord
    After the crowds have ceased
    Each night when the lights go out
    It can be found on the ground all around
    Oh, what a ratly feast!

    Melon rinds and bits of hot dogs
    Cookie crumbs and rotten cotton candy
    Melted ice cream, mustard drippings
    Moldy goodies everywhere

    Lots of popcorn, apple cores Banana peels and soggy sandwiches
    And gobs of gorgeous gook to gobble at the fair
    A fair is a veritable smorgasbord orgasbord orgasbord
    After the gates are shut
    Each night when the lights go out
    It can be found on the ground all around
    That's where a rat can glut, glut, glut, glut!




"Templeton"  [Port Aransas, Texas]



...more fences? You got it!!


Inca Dove [NORTH Padre Island, Texas]


Male Northern Cardinal on a Fence Post [Bazemore Park]


RANDOM THOUGHTS
Sadly, this past weekend, our city's police chief was killed by a 16 yr. old driver on the island highway. The driver cut out into the lane of traffic, a truck swerved to avoid collision, and the motorcycle driver behind the truck was the police chief.

Someone asked me how to add the meme buttons on Blogger's sidebar. Easy. Just go into Blogger's Layout, click on "Add a Gadget"...when that opens, just copy and paste the coding provided by the meme's owner!! Save!! But, to add them in each post, always being the same buttons, it's a bit more complicated....you must be proficient in html and be savvy in how to open and edit the template by choosing customize....it would take a whole blog post and a lot of time to explain it step by step.

On May 11th, Bud and I will celebrate 47 years of marriage!! On May 12th, our oldest grandson will be 26! Then, on May 19th, Erik, my son will be 43...my how time goes by so quickly.

Our two movies this week were "Nebraska" starring Bruce Dern and an oldie but still a classic in its own right....E T

For the last couple of days, my sister in Colorado texted me about her area getting nice, soft, gentle rains. Ironically, with all the flooding we had a few weeks prior, the grounds around here are beginning to crack already...seriously, we need Colorado's soft, gentle rains. Speaking of rains....a tropical storm forming in the Atlantic...already?

[if the image doesn't show...scroll down on my blog to Hurricane Link]

43 comments :

  1. Hi Anni, that is a cute rat! I enjoyed all the birds and your random thoughts, though how very sad about the police chief. I am so sorry for his family. Congratulations on your anniversary and Happy Birthday to your son and grandson. Yes, time does fly. Have a great day :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I rather like tame rats.... I once had a white rat named Malachai who would sit on my shoulder and eat grapes with me, when he wasn't playing hide and seek in my hair. So sorry to read about the police chief; heartfelt condolences to his family.
    It's absurd how much I love doves, I actually started singing 'On the wings of a snow white dove' when I saw your photo. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rats are kind of creepy to me. I love the dove and cardinal on the fences.. It is sad about the police chief..Happy anniversary to you! Great fence finds. Have a happy day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Anniversary. . .certainly deserves a celebration. Your photos are wonderful; clear and detailed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Was considering putting out oranges to attract Orioles but now I'm not so sure, yipes!
    But I have to say you did a great job of catching him in action.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Anniversary!! It is an accomplishment for sure and best wishes for many more wonderful years. My hubs and I will hit 42 this August. Where does the time go??
    The rat looks cute but I'm not a fan!! LOL Love the dove and cardinal on the fences.
    You captured great shots.
    Have a wonderful day, CM

    ReplyDelete
  7. the rat is too cute to be templeton! :) love the inca doves. only see them rarely here. thanks for the fencing! and happy anniversary to you and bud!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's not a scary looking rat, but still... Happy Anniversary! We just celebrated our 21st, which given my history is rather amazing. If I counted up all the years I've been married to somebody, I would be almost where you are. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Why is it that these critters can look so cute, but when you see them for real they are frightening? Happy Anniversary, and I hope the storm doesn't really happen.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Have to admit I really like that rat! What a happy fellow he is and rightfully so!! How many of any of us get our oranges peeled and on a stick!! Beautiful doves, too!! Wishing you and Bud a very Happy Anniversary!! Hope both of you have a wonderful day!! Enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Put a bushy tail on that critter and everyone will say how "cute" he is! Congrats on your anniversary! Mary Lou and I hope to celebrate our 55th exactly one month after yours with a rail trip to the Canadian Rockies. BTW, yesterday I photographed a Warbling Vireo that was a carbon copy of yours-- "big bill" and all!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm not big into rats, but he's a cutie. So sorry about your police chief. But on the bright side of your lovely fact filled and stunning photos as always, a most Happy of celebrations for you and Bud on the 11th!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a pretty field behind that nice weathered wooden fence. The rat looks cute eating that orange half. Hope you have an awesome Anniversary.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, that orange must be yummy!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Making the Good Fences blog run and I stopped by!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You have changed your background! And that looks a bit like baby robins on it! Oh my, is that a small rat?? O.K., he is just a BIT cute! Happy anniversary! Ours will be 46, so we are right behind you.

    ReplyDelete
  17. LOVE Templeton! How cute is he taking advantage of those oranges (or maybe she, there could be babies back home!) And the birds and fences are great! Happy Anniversary to you and your hubby! We are coming up on 46! Just a year behind you! All our birthdays are in Dec & Jan except the SIL who has one in August (thankfully! :-) )

    ReplyDelete
  18. you win the COOLEST SHOT seen today.. i love the photos of the rat. he is cute. bob has to trap these guys when they get in our garage and i don't look because it makes sad.. but they are bad little buggers.... love the birds and the fence and so very sorry about your Police Chief.. bob has 2 grands, i have 3 and they are all age 27 to 35..

    ReplyDelete
  19. I like the rat on the orange. I had a white rat named Wade when I was a kid, he was our class pet in 4th grade and when we were on vacation, he came home to live with me.
    ~

    ReplyDelete
  20. The rat is cute. He doesn't look like the house cat-sized rats I used to see near the school where I worked. I had mice for pets and was amazed at how nice they were to each other.
    Happy anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Did we already "talk" about our anniversary date? Our anniversary is also May 11, and we will be celebrating 30 years!! A very good day for a wedding! Happy anniversary!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Happy anniversary to you and Bud and happy day to all the May birthdays. The oranges down that way are so good. We drove toward the valley one year and found them for sale on the side of the road. Didn't have to go all the way to a town and just stopped on the side of the road to eat several before returning home.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm not especially fond of rats but I do like your photos of this one.He sure seems to be enjoying that orange.
    So very sad about your police chief.
    You've got a lot going on in May. That's quite a milestone for you and Bud. Wishing you an early Happy Anniversary

    ReplyDelete
  24. You know, rates ruin everything!! Nice pics. Congratulations on the upcoming 47 year anniversary. That is quite an achievement!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Congrats on your anniversary.
    Interesting story about the oranges, I guess that rat knows a good thing when he spots it. Love that Cardinal,

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi Annie. Long time since I've had a chance to drop in. How have you been?

    I put orange halves on nails out for the birds in winter. Of course, the birds get less of it than other creatures do, but it is fun to watch them peck away at the frozen pulp.

    Happy Anniversary. I need to catch up. Think of you and Bud often.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi Anni, I've enjoyed all your fences birds, rats, oranges and all. Our son and then a granddaughter had pet rats but I'm not very fond of the wild ones.
    Happy anniversary, have fun celebrating this month.

    Diana
    http://adifferentlenslens365.blogspot.co.nz/2015/05/fences-or-rails.html

    ReplyDelete
  28. Another great post, Anni. We have been having a ratty visitor, too.

    ReplyDelete
  29. aw templeton is cute, i am glad he got a snack! may is a month of celebrations for you...happy early anniversary!! i think i noticed nebraska on netflix, i'll have to check...i hope the storm doesn't amount to much...thanks for linking and happy mother's day!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Such sad news about the Police Chief. Many congratulations on your anniversary.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I cannot do rats they scare me too much. Wow, tropical storm already, I thought the saying was June too soon, and we are only in May!!! Mad world weather and happenings...

    ReplyDelete
  32. The rat on the orange is a great picture of how survival depends on opportunity sometimes. I like the angled fence picture very much.

    ReplyDelete
  33. How tragic about the police chief. So much sadness in the world and close to home.
    I wish I had seen 'Nebraska'. Maybe I can find it soon. I bet it's good.

    ReplyDelete
  34. How awful about the police chief.

    I enjoyed the pics...my daughters had rats and had mice when kids. I could never get used to the rats, but the mice were a different story. They were such sweet family units.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Leave it to a rat to figure out how to sneak a tasty bite or two from a bird's treat. Lovely fences! I'm so sorry to hear about your town's loss..my d-i-l's mother was in a motorcycle accident- she lived but has severe brain damage. No helmets. Thanks for info on sidebar- I'm still working on it.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Now that is a clever rat! So sad about the chief. Some nice celebrations coming for you - Happy Anniversary! xo Karen

    ReplyDelete
  37. Congratulations on your anniversary!! How wonderful. I hope that you have many more happy years together! xx

    ReplyDelete
  38. A ratly feast, now I've geard of everything. Tom The Backroads Traveller

    ReplyDelete
  39. Hi Anni, Congrats to you both on your upcoming anniversary! Enjoy your special day and the family birthdays coming up also. I enjoyed your photos today. I wish you a very enjoyable Mother's Day.

    ReplyDelete
  40. I am so sorry about your police chief's passing.
    Oh my word...rats....too big for this diva cat!
    Happy anniversary, and happy bday Scot Erik and your grand son
    Hugs
    Madi and mom

    ReplyDelete
  41. What a mixed bag this post is - shows how you need to keep an eye on things that are important, because change can come so quickly.

    Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
  42. Anni, so glad you had a few moments to drop by my Writing Nook. I have certainly missed you.

    Sorry to hear about your heart attack in March. Hope you are resting enough. I'm doing really well as far as heart goes. Life is a little crazy, but that is normal for around this family. LOL

    Mom is doing okay, but in the last week, I can see a huge change in her. This may be the last Mother's Day she is with us. She is 87 and really failing.

    Take care. Sending love your way.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Happy Anniversary Anni. Oh Rats, Rats, I like Rats, but really don't have them around with all of the Birds of Prey here. We had our first snake arrive on the scene the other day, and they would take them too. That is a cute one though!

    ReplyDelete

.