MEME Links are on one page-Use TAB on the menu bar, above!




...There's no place like home...

Forecast predictions over the weekend were mild and sunny. NOT. At least in the early morning hours of our Sunday. We decided to go over the Harbor Bridge and stop at the only K-mart nearby. Long ago, before Christmas even, I had purchased a new bedspread combo for our extra bedroom. I have been wanting to repaint and change the color scheme in that room for months. And, with the bedspread combo came a need for new curtains. I thought that they'd be an easy match for the blue that is the main color on the spread. I was wrong in that assumption. I've been carrying with me for quite a while, a piece of thread from the new bedding to match with curtains, and I don't want to buy online 'cause the blue won't be the same once it's delivered to the house. I know that, I can feel it. So, I've gone to Bed & Bath, Marshall's, Target, Wal-Mart, T J Maxx, Penny's and probably others. Nothing. Yesterday, with K-Mart in mind, we stopped to walk the birding/hiking trail at Sunset Lakes in Portland, Texas. As we crossed the bridge, going over the ship channel, a cloud burst happened....heavy rain...then, by the time we got to the causeway, the sun was out, shining brightly. No more rain. We walked, I was watching for birds of course, but also watching the horizon where the intermittent showers were occurring over the city skyline. Half way through our walk, I looked over the trail and saw a line of heavy wet heading our way!!!! And it came quickly! We both got soaked to the skin. Too busy, I was watching the horizon and not paying attention to what was directly above us at the time.


North Shore...in the far distance [to the right] you can see the Harbor Bridge...


...the bridge disappears with the fast moving squall!!


...then...All's quiet on the Eastern Front!!!


After our soaking, I went into the port-a-potty and changed my wet clothes to dry ones. We always have a spare outfit in the car's trunk. We're birders...we know that things like a surprise storm can hit at any moment. And our extra clothes [and shoes] come in handy!!!

A few of the birds we saw here in our short, but wet walk:



If I were a bird tour guide, I'd tell my followers that there are several different species of egrets. But, only one with yellow feet!! And to use a memory/association technique...the phrase when you were young..."Don't Eat Yellow Snow"...hence, the SNOWY egret. The egret with the yellow feet!!



At K-mart I found the perfect blue to match. Go figure. Sheer curtains like I had pictured, the softest pale smoky blue....now I need to take the thread I've been carrying around with me to pick out a paint color to match. Bud's gonna do the rolling and I'll do the paint brush at the baseboards and ceiling lines. Should be an easy task. Except for moving furniture around. Ugh!! [I'll take it easy...or I will have the wrath of Bud down on me!!!]   Giving time for Bud to peruse his passion [the book shelves in the store], I walked around and ended up in the garden shop...found this...somehow it came home with us.  It goes well with our nautical kitchen/dining room.  Last night, I lighted it up and it played such a symphony of wonderful shapes and shadows on the ceiling---



Unlit - Lighted

Ceiling "Art" from the nautical glass floater -the globe light

This morning, early, we drove to Tule Lake near the oil refineries. The last time we were in this area, the lake itself was nearly dry. Today, not so much!! It was quite a bit filled. But nearly deserted with bird life. There are two covered gazebo platforms for us birders and each of them, we found in the rafters, Barn Swallow nests. The parents were busy keeping them fed...


Since there wasn't much activity at this spot we drove a piece up the interstate and turned toward Kingsville, Texas. We stopped at a county park in Calallen, Texas and drove around the park's twisted, winding park road. Again, no activity on the lake or the river!

We headed home...where I finally finished the library/computer room Spring Cleaning....the window - the last tidbit of a 3 day cleaning for the room!! Scrubbed the venitian blinds, the glass panes, and polished the window sill...the room is cleaned for another year. Reason I did this one? About a week ago, I reached back to unhook the computer's modem and my hand went through WEBS!! Yikes!!! Time to get off my butt and get this place cleaned out. Done. Done, done!!!

34 comments :

  1. That was some really menacing weather! Thankfully you finished your chores home. I have some spring cleaning to do myself, but first I'm off for a trip in the middle of this week.

    Mersad
    Mersad Donko Photography

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are some scary clouds!! Your birds are beautiful and I do LOVE that last shot with the hungry baby and his wide open beak!! How fun!! Hope your new week is off to a great start!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh gosh- I hate to see those rain sheets headed my way! What fun though- and y'all were definitely prepared with extra clothes. I wish I could figure out how you got all those meme icons & links in one spot. I've been trying to a month now to put all the memes I link to in the sidebar and I've done nothing but get frustrated about it all. How did you do it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that was some bad weather! Oh birders, always prepared, love it! Happy you got your spring cleaning done, not go back out and get some more fabulous bird shots! Yellow footed egret is awesome! Great post!
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pretty color blue you've picked for your extra room. I like the Swallows but I sure don't like them under my front porch. Some of your spider's cousins made some webs here too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is always so much fun tagging along on your outings.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Doesn't the snowy egret look like he has just stepped into a pan of yellow paint. Ha!

    Love your bird photos. And I hope you'll post a picture of your finished room!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We are trying to keep the barn swallows from competing a nest in our front entrance, but when we are away in a couple of weeks they will get the job done. Great pictures of the rain storm, and how clever of you to have the spare clothing in the car!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow on the weather you had there. Good thing you keep the spare clothes in the car.
    I love that globe light. I don't know if we even have a K-Mart around here anymore. Two of the three I know for sure have closed.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That looks like quite a storm! You are smart to carry extra clothes. So glad you found curtains. I know how hard it is to find the right color.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Catching the rain coming across the water is so great! Your photos are always amazing. How great that you keep extra clothing in the car. That's a great idea for everyone, not just birders!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the far off the bridge, and then the rain obscuring it! Your new light is wonderful!! I have never seen anything like it. Amazing swallow mom and baby pictures! I can even see a worm in her mouth to feed them!

    ReplyDelete
  13. lovely photos! I like the ceiling art, very cool :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anni, that sky was scary! Glad you were successful on your hunt for the perfect blue (and now you even have blue abstracts on the ceiling.) The photo of the barn swallows is wonderful. Those little ones are hungry! No moving furniture, Anni...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great captures of the rain. WOW<I would never think to bring extra clothes along on a birding trip.I do if I go to the city for the day,ending with a concert in the evening,but that different,I want too wear better clothes for a concert.Anyway,love all your pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fabulous sky photos. Congratulations on completing your Spring cleaning. I got half way through then was distracted and am trying to motivate myself to complete the work.

    ReplyDelete
  17. been there done that with the web scene.. yuck.. i like the sky pics and great idea to carry clothes. i love that lighted ball and will be looking at our kmart. i like thinks that make tiny lights like yours on the ceiling... glad you found the right colors finally.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Another piece of information and a trigger to remember it. Loved your lesson regarding the Snowy Egret! Your "Hazy Cityscape" is very pleasing. You have tons of energy after having heart attach only 2 months ago! Wow....

    ReplyDelete
  19. Such great bird pictures, as always. Those yellow feet are almost comical, but they match his eye color exactly. I love that ceiling "art" you showed me. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I don't recall the last time I was in K-Mart. There been talk about getting a shopko up in my neck of the woods.
    The weather been nice and things are growing.
    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
  21. I especially love the photo of the swallow and babies!

    ReplyDelete
  22. A great (if a little soggy) day out Anni! Terrific bird shots, and I LOVE your globe light!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love how you captured the bit of a storm.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hello Anni, that storm looks scary.. Love the birds and your neat ceiling art..The swallow family is adorable..Enjoy your week!

    ReplyDelete
  25. The feet of the Little Egret are so bright. I'm sure there is an evolutionary reason for them being yellow, I'd just like to know what it is.

    ReplyDelete
  26. HI Anni Our Little Eget has yellow feet! Love all your bird shots however my favoutiate shot is the Swallows

    ReplyDelete
  27. Having extra clothes is a great idea. The weather can change so fast. Love the birds and your light globe. Pretty... We are having some painting done in June... Hubby is not a painter and I can't anymore.. Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh, how I love your stormy skies, they 'speak' to me..... I think I could live there *grin*

    ReplyDelete
  29. I miss seeing the weather come when I lived near the Texas coast. Good idea to keep dry clothes and I'm intrigued how one changes clothes in a porta potty.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Very interesting post. Thanks for the tip to identify Snowy Egrets!
    Happy Wild Bird Wednesday!
    Lea

    ReplyDelete
  31. cute little snowy and swallows, too. glad you had a change of clothes!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Anni your post is wonderful However I am most impressed that you had extra clothes! You are a true birder
    Hugs
    Madi and mom

    ReplyDelete
  33. I'd much rather go for a drive than do spring cleaning! :-) You found just what you were looking for at the Walmart and the glass globe as a nice bonus, too, and then the bird photos and storm photos were also great! So it was quite a productive day! Having extra clothes in the trunk...wow, I'm impressed! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  34. You are working too hard lady. Get somebody to come in and clean... Save your precious energy for birding! (Purely selfish of me ... I want to see more of your birds!). Glad you matched the blue ... And that whole drive sounds wonderful. Even the rain... Great idea to have that spare change in the car tho.

    ReplyDelete

.